Do economists owe it to society to manipulate economic data in order to present more palatable figures, such as minimal living wages and interest rates?

• Yes, they do.

I do not think all economists owe this to us, as it isn't their job to do so. Economists working with state or federal legislatures should, though. It's only right that everyone understands what is going on and how things should be addressed. This would be a great step in the right direction.

• Lies are lies - aren't they supposed to be bad?

How is this even a question? Should people mislead the world to make a picture people LIKE more, and lead them down a garden path to destruction?

If people make decisions on faulty information, the likelihood of failure becomes dramatically higher. As much as I am sure that OP has good intentions in looking at this, the premise goes against objective logic. If I tell you that you have unlimited food, and you eat yourself out of house and home in a week, you end up starving because you had no opportunity to plan for the future, and were going forward on a false premise.

Short term satisfaction leading to our ultimate demise. That is where cultural lies lead us.

• No, economists should not manipulate data to make it more palatable

No one should be manipulating economic data with the intention of making it more palatable to the public. The public deserves to see true and accurate numbers and should be able to trust that leaders are not sugar-coating facts so as not to upset people. If we don't have a true picture of what is actually going on, how are we to know that we need to make changes or fix problems? Facts and numbers and data should be presented as they stand so that educated decisions can be made about what to do about the problems they expose.

• No, I don't believe that economists owe it to society to manipulate economic data.

History is filled with example of economists misleading the public with economic figures and it has never ended well for anybody involved, I believe economists would best be served providing the clear and accurate figures of the economy so everyone is on the same page on how good or bad the economy is doing.

• No, economist should portray the truth.

Such delicate date such be presented as the truth because this could affect the potential lives of many who depend on these findings. Since the economic majority is under middle class, the only people who's lives would not be affected is those that are in a higher economic state. The rich.

• No, economists should not manipulate data to paint a better picture for people.

I think it would be a mistake for economists to manipulate economic data in order to present a better view of the economy to the people so that it would help with living wage and interest rates. I think that doing such a thing would be against the idea of capitalism and democracy.