• Some, not all

I've found that RADICAL feminists seem to harbor a dislike of men. They seem to view all men as filthy, lazy pigs who see women only as sex objects. Now, these stereotypes are obviously not true (for most men). BUT, that is only the radicals. Most feminists (that is, the ones who fight for things that matter, like equal pay, stopping gender stereotypes, etc) do not in fact hate men. Those feminists I support. The radical, "all men are evil, we should rule over them for a couple thousand years" feminists... Not so much.

• Arguments against all incidental.

All arguments against are individual feelings on the subject. There was no citation to even one instance of help for men in arguments. There was only rhetoric that I've heard before about "helping women helps men".

On the "for" side, there were some good posts about views feminist leaders/founders had. Problems that are clear for men but don't get support.

I'm already a little biased towards "yes" but the "no" column didn't give me anything new to consider.

• Just First world feminism

First world feminism is really the "spoiled brat" effect on a macro level. A spoiled child will never be satisfied with what it has since every demand and tantrum is met with appeasement and goodies. The child learns how to get what it wants but in the process, never learns to appreciate what it HAS. Coupled with the sense of self-righteous entitlement created by the patriarchy narrative, what we get is zealots unable or? Unwilling to see anything but their own 1st world problems.

• The Invisibility of the Reasonable Feminist

Much is often said of the mainstream, reasonable feminist that does not hate men, that supposedly make up the majority of feminists. It may even true. Unfortunately, as with aliens, golems, and fairies, no solid proof of reasonable feminists has yet been found, though scientists are still searching.

There are two kinds of feminists: the very loud, very vocal ones who hate men, and the silent, invisible, and possibly nonexistent ones who don't. You see, when you have a fringe group like feminism (and make no mistake: as only 1 in 7 women identify as feminists, it is definitely a fringe group), and you have a rabidly hateful segment that spouts bigotry towards members of a given race, sex, or national origin, and the "reasonable" ones never, ever do anything to speak against the hateful ones, you are letting the hateful ones represent the movement.

Since no reasonable feminist is willing to publicly speak out against man-hating, we are forced to concede that the supposed "reasonable" feminist is merely an apologist for organized misandry.

Silence speaks louder than words, sisters.

• Have you met a woman in America

There is an immense hatred and fear towards men. American women walk around thinking men are going to rape and hurt them like a monster because they believe Feminist nonsense. Feminists have succeeded in their agenda of breaking up the family. Women now strive to be like the women of Sex and the City.

• A lack of compassion.

For the most part as a group feminists lack compassion for male issues. They often will say they care, but when it comes down to actions hardly anything is done; if not the reverse in some rare cases. Well you might not call this hate to the extreme, there certainty is no love.
    "Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion."

• Just look at history!

Everything that feminism has said and done has been to the promotion of women and to the detriment of all men. Look at major feminist writings, look at feminist lobbyists who insist that women get special privileges without the responsibilities associated with it. Men commit more suicides than ever before, work the most dangerous jobs (and constitute 97%+ of workplace deaths), and are screwed over by family courts while feminists just watch on from the sidelines. Not only do they hate men, they have total indifference to them.

• Quotes from feminists

"All sex, even consensual sex between a married couple, is an act of violence perpetrated against a woman."Catherine MacKinnon

"[Rape] is nothing more or less than a conscious process of intimidation by which ALL MEN KEEP ALL WOMEN IN A STATE OF FEAR" [emphasis added] -- Susan Brownmiller (Against Our Will p. 6)

"Marriage as an institution developed from rape as a practice. Rape, originally defined as abduction, became marriage by capture. Marriage meant the taking was to extend in time, to be not only use of but possession of, or ownership." -- Andrea Dworkin.

"Heterosexual intercourse is the pure, formalized expression of contempt for women's bodies." -- Andrea Dworkin

"One can know everything and still be unable to accept the fact that sex and murder are fused in the male consciousness, so that the one without the imminent possibly of the other is unthinkable and impossible." Andrea Dworkin, Letters from a War Zone, p. 21..

"And if the professional rapist is to be separated from the average dominant heterosexual [male], it may be mainly a quantitative difference." -- Susan Griffin "Rape: The All-American Crime"
    (p. 86)

"When a woman reaches orgasm with a man she is only collaborating with the patriarchal system, eroticizing her own oppression..." -- Sheila Jeffrys

"I claim that rape exists any time sexual intercourse occurs when it has not been initiated by the woman, out of her own genuine affection and desire." -- Robin Morgan, "Theory and Practice: Pornography and Rape" in "Going to Far," 1974.

"Who cares how men feel or what they do or whether they suffer? They have had over 2000 years to dominate and made a complete hash of it. Now it is our turn. My only comment to men is, if you don't like it, bad luck - and if you get in my way I'll run you down." -- Letter to the Editor: "Women's Turn to Dominate" -- Signed: Liberated Women, Boronia -- Herald-Sun, Melbourne, Australia - 9 February 1996

"Under law, rape is a sex crime that is not regarded as a crime when it looks like sex. The law, speaking generally, defines rape as intercourse with force or coercion and without consent., Like sexuality under male supremacy, this definition assumes the sadomasochistic definition of sex: intercourse with force or coercion can be or become consensual."

"Compare victims' reports of rape with women's reports of sex. They look a lot alike....[T]he major distinction between intercourse (normal) and rape (abnormal) is that the normal happens so often that one cannot get anyone to see anything wrong with it." Catherine MacKinnon, quoted in Christina Hoff Sommers, "Hard-Line Feminists Guilty of Ms.-Representation," Wall Street Journal, November 7, 1991.

"In a patriarchal society all heterosexual intercourse is rape because women, as a group, are not strong enough to give meaningful consent." Catherine MacKinnon in Professing Feminism: Cautionary

• Sadly it is true

While feminism may have meant something good in the 1960-1970s, that's no longer the case. Feminism now is not about equal rights but the systematic gaining of...PRIVILEGES for women.
    It has gotten so bad that some feminists even admit (and feel comfortable admitting ) that they DO hate men. No one says anything.

• Yes they do

Yes they do no matter how many times they deny it. They might care for their sons. But thats as far as it goes.

"I feel that 'man-hating' is an honorable and viable political act, that the oppressed have a right to class-hatred against the class that is oppressing them." -- Robin Morgan, Ms. Magazine Editor.

• No, they hate some behavior by men.

Feminists are mothers, daughters, and all kinds of women who have wonderful relationships with men in their lives; however, feminists hate some behavior displayed by men who are misogynistic, who put women down, who believe that women are not equal beings, and who sexualize women. Feminists simply want to be treated equally and with respect.

• Most Feminists Absolutely Do Not Hate Men

The question is actually formulated to paint all feminists in one broad stroke, which is a shame. Feminism has historically come in different waves starting from the drive for voting rights. To put it simply: not all feminists believe exactly the same thing. It depends on the era they come from and the point of view they have developed. It's a shame that some men feel intimidated by a woman demanding the right to pay equity and other rights. Asking for men to treat women fairly is not the same as hate.

Posted by: rpr
  • No, Many Feminists Love Men

Feminists do not hate men. Feminists simply want women to have an equal place and equal status in society. Many feminists are married, have children, and love the men in their lives. And to be honest, many wonderful feminists actually ARE men themselves. They clearly do not hate men. Feminism isn't about hate.

• No, I do not hate men.

No, feminists do not hate men. I consider myself a feminist and I think that it is my duty to support and promote women's rights. We can do anything that men can; lift heavy boxes, fight in combat, etc. Hating men is not part of my platform. I do, however, hate people who think women are inferior (men and women alike).

• No feminist don't.

There's some loud, crazy feminist but the vast majority don't. Most people are feminist and don't realize it. Anyone who thinks people deserve equal rights regardless of sexis a feminist. As a feminist, I want woman to make the same salary as a man if they're doing the same work. ALSO, as a feminist, I think EVERYONE should have to registar for the draft or NO ONE should have to. I think woman who hit and abuse men are eqaully dispicable as men that abuse women. I think that women are unfairly favored during the divorce process, especially if kids are involved.

• Beware the misandrists hiding behind the feminists, but not the feminists themselves.

Misandrists (man-haters) can and do regularly hide behind and thus tarnish the good name of feminism. They claim to be feminists, but many other feminists want nothing to do with them as by stereotyping the opposite sex and claiming to be the superior sex (what historically misogynists have done for years) misandrists do nothing but harm the cry for equality with their hypocrisy.
    So I will say NO, feminists do not hate men, because feminism is not necessarily synonymous with misandry.

• Don't confuse feminists with misandrists

Misogynists are men who hate women. Misandrists are women who hate men. Some feminists may also be misandrists but certainly not all of them, just as not all men are misogynists. Feminists believe that women and men should have equal rights, should receive the same pay for the same job and should not forced into rigid roles based on gender. This has nothing to do with hating men

• Man-hating simply isn't feminism

Feminism is a general term for people who believe that women should be treated more fairly. There will always be the people who do consider themselves feminists AND also believe that women are superior, but stereotyping all feminists as misandrists is as bad as stereotyping all men as sexists. A Venn diagram would sum it up well: The feminist and misandrist bubbles interlock, but neither is entirely inside the other. Feminists can be misandrists, misandrists can be feminists, but I, for one am a feminist and all my closest friends are male. This disproves the idea that feminists hate men. No argument.

• "Feminism" means supporting women. "Misandry" means hating men.

Feminism is about defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, cultural, and social rights for women.

I am a feminist and I am not a misandrist. I'm married to a man who I love and have many other men in my life who I love and support.

Yes, some individual feminists hate men, but not 'feminists' by definition. Therefore, the answer to the questions is clear.