• The big picture

Students who put more effort into schoolwork tend to get the big picture(that success in school can lead to success later on) and are developing good habits that can help later on as well, therefore, it can be argued that they are indeed smarter, as they can better understand how what they do in the present will affect future actions. Although you can have an IQ of 100 and a GPA of 4.0 and get into Harvard while someone else may have an IQ of 130, a GPA of 2.0 and may not go to college at all, I don't think anyone would ever try and argue that the Ivy League bound student is dumber, even though that may well be the case.

• No not what u think

What if someone cheats on a test a gets a 100 does that mean you're dumb? No your not. I made silly mistakes before and I have gotten a bad grade and that does not mean I am dumb. Some people cheat and get good grades. Those people are not intelligent they just cheat.

• No, not really.

To a certain extent you could see that those with good grades are generally smart. I mean, I get good grades and I think I am pretty smart and I have friends with good grades who I consider smart, but I also know people with bad grades who are VERY smart, they are just lazy or the school system doesn't work well for them, etc. I also, know people with straight As and I wonder how in the world they get good grades. So yeah, you could assume that good grades equals a smart person but you won't always be right.

• Einstein failed in all other subjects except physics and math. Does that mean he failed in other subjects he is dumb?

Students just study for marks. Some copy, so they get good marks. Grades dont define intelligence, they define the effort they add and by heart. Its like some people do great at exams, some are rubbish, some are good at role play, some can't do it, some people are fantastic at interviews, so aren't.... I don't think it reflects intelligence at all really, it just shows you are good at retaining information, and can be calm under pressure

• No grades do not define intelligence.

This is stupid how some people actually think that grades do define intelligence in which in fact it does not and we can see this as many high school dropouts were actually very intelligent, for example Bill Gates, like how can you tell me that im stupid and not intelligent but Bill Gates could be doing as bad as i am in highschool but yet he is a multi billionare and is a dropout. Another example is Tupac Amaru Shakur he is a high school dropout, something he said in an interview, "Far as i knew my teacher said i wasn't going to be shit when i grow up." Yet he is one of the most legendary rappers ever and when he was alive he was a multi millionare selling records and making movies but was also a high school dropout yet here we are with this stupid ass fucking discussion on how grades completely define your intelligence.

• Bush did 9/11

Because the wonder pets are heroes and not once did they ever learn
    any academically. SO YOU CANT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT TALKING ANIMALS THAT SAVE OTHER ANIMALS OKAY?!? THAT PHONE IS WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY RINGING.

• Grades define how well you work with the school's system.

You could be the smartest person in the world, and still fail your grades. Not only does school test how "smart" you are, but you need to balance six-seven classes, large amounts of homework, keeping organized, not to mention somehow weaving your personal life into it all. If a student passes all his/her tests, yet fails at the school's system of the organization/homework/balance, he/she will almost guarantee to fail the year.

• There's multiple intelligences:

Howard Gardner, a psychologist and professor at Harvard University, posited that there are actually multiple intelligences. Eight of them in fact. The most common intelligences that are exercised in school are mathematical and linguistic. That's only two out of eight intelligences. I'm strong in linguistic and intrapersonal. However, my weakest intelligence is mathematical. And coincidentally I get Cs in my math classes. Also, young Einstein was considered unintelligent by a few of his teachers. It wasn't until he switched schools and starting learning in the way he liked that he started to get good grades. Which was primarily math based subjects. However, it is presumed that Einstein was dyslexic. He got Cs in language based courses, even in German, his native language. I believe Einstein's brain compensated his LD with language for a talent in math. The same could be said for the musical genius, Ludwig van Beethoven. Who is also believed to be dyslexic. So grades reflect intelligence to a certain degree, but not a lot. So I'm going to have to go with no.

• There's multiple intelligences

Howard Gardner, a psychologist and professor at Harvard University, posited that there are actually multiple intelligences. Eight of them in fact. The most common intelligences that are exercised in school are mathematical and linguistic. That's only two out of eight intelligences. I'm strong in linguistic and intrapersonal. However my weakest intelligence is mathematical. And coincidentally I get Cs in my math classes. So grades reflect intelligence to a certain degree, but not a lot. So I'm going to have to go with no.

• Yeah because yeah

Yeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeah

• Grades dont determine your intelligence

Albert Einstein was bad at school but he is one of the most intelligent people in the world. Henry Ford was bad at school, but he brought the assembly line to the world and he also brought cars to the world. So yeah grades dont define your intelligence, but it is still good to have good grades than bad ones

Juan_Pablo says2014-02-02T04:32:38.567
People with good grades tend to have excellent memory retention (they can recall information easily). It does not necessarily mean they're intelligent in the sense that they can reason well. That's a valid distinction that should be made for this opinion topic.
SweetTea says2014-02-02T10:52:28.473
A GPA is simply one scale to measure intellect by. The SAT & ACT are two other ways. None of them provide complete insight into a student. I suppose, when combined, they offer (at best) a pattern. Some students suffer test anxiety. Through volunteering, I have worked with several. One had a 4.0 GPA and a SAT score of 1000. Obviously, the SAT was not reflective of her intellect. She told me that she was so nervous prior to the exam that she vomited twice. Another interesting observation ... One of my son's long-time friends was very athletically-gifted. In the classroom, he was a "C" student. This kid managed a 1260 on his SAT! Did he cheat? I doubt it. He literally admitted that he "guessed" numerous times throughout the test! The girl, I previously mentioned, graduated magna cum laude from college. My son's friend couldn't get accepted into college, despite his athletic ability. His GPA, despite his SAT score, was the problem. Intelligence comes in a variety of forms. Some people are street-savvy. Others are very book-smart, but lack basic common sense. Then, others are what we commonly refer to as intellectuals (high IQs).