• The big picture

Students who put more effort into schoolwork tend to get the big picture(that success in school can lead to success later on) and are developing good habits that can help later on as well, therefore, it can be argued that they are indeed smarter, as they can better understand how what they do in the present will affect future actions. Although you can have an IQ of 100 and a GPA of 4.0 and get into Harvard while someone else may have an IQ of 130, a GPA of 2.0 and may not go to college at all, I don't think anyone would ever try and argue that the Ivy League bound student is dumber, even though that may well be the case.

• Yeah because yeah

Yeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeahyeah yeah

• No not what u think

What if someone cheats on a test a gets a 100 does that mean you're dumb? No your not. I made silly mistakes before and I have gotten a bad grade and that does not mean I am dumb. Some people cheat and get good grades. Those people are not intelligent they just cheat.

• No, not really.

To a certain extent you could see that those with good grades are generally smart. I mean, I get good grades and I think I am pretty smart and I have friends with good grades who I consider smart, but I also know people with bad grades who are VERY smart, they are just lazy or the school system doesn't work well for them, etc. I also, know people with straight As and I wonder how in the world they get good grades. So yeah, you could assume that good grades equals a smart person but you won't always be right.

• Einstein failed in all other subjects except physics and math. Does that mean he failed in other subjects he is dumb?

Students just study for marks. Some copy, so they get good marks. Grades dont define intelligence, they define the effort they add and by heart. Its like some people do great at exams, some are rubbish, some are good at role play, some can't do it, some people are fantastic at interviews, so aren't.... I don't think it reflects intelligence at all really, it just shows you are good at retaining information, and can be calm under pressure

• Grades dont determine your intelligence

Albert Einstein was bad at school but he is one of the most intelligent people in the world. Henry Ford was bad at school, but he brought the assembly line to the world and he also brought cars to the world. So yeah grades dont define your intelligence, but it is still good to have good grades than bad ones

• 9/11 is an inside job

Bush did it so that they can go to war and get oil and make lots of money for the fat U.S.A people usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa usa

• 9/11 is an inside job

• Look at Einstein

If you look back in the earlier days, Albert Einstein who is known as the most intelligent person in the world, was failing his classes when he younger. Plus, some may not have a particular strength in a particular category. For example, if you have a strength of math, then you may not be so great in english

• I don't think so.

Maybe a child is gone from school often due to sickness. Maybe they don't test very well. Maybe they aren't smart, but they get by primarily by cheating off of other students. Adolescents are a cruel breed, and there are many different ways that something could go wrong during the school year. I, personally, don't have a great grade in my Spanish classes (B-). It isn't because I'm stupid or anything, I just have a lot to juggle around between school, work, show choir, volunteering, and my own personal band. I simply don't have the time to do it, but I make do with what little time I do have. I think, more so than anything else, grades show a student's integrity.

• Of course not

Grades definitely do NOT determine your worth, or your intelligence. School has become more about getting good grades than learning, which entirely defeats the purpose of it. School should not be about marks, it should be about improvement and effort. Grades won't matter in ten years, so why should they matter now?

Juan_Pablo says2014-02-02T04:32:38.567
People with good grades tend to have excellent memory retention (they can recall information easily). It does not necessarily mean they're intelligent in the sense that they can reason well. That's a valid distinction that should be made for this opinion topic.
SweetTea says2014-02-02T10:52:28.473
A GPA is simply one scale to measure intellect by. The SAT & ACT are two other ways. None of them provide complete insight into a student. I suppose, when combined, they offer (at best) a pattern. Some students suffer test anxiety. Through volunteering, I have worked with several. One had a 4.0 GPA and a SAT score of 1000. Obviously, the SAT was not reflective of her intellect. She told me that she was so nervous prior to the exam that she vomited twice. Another interesting observation ... One of my son's long-time friends was very athletically-gifted. In the classroom, he was a "C" student. This kid managed a 1260 on his SAT! Did he cheat? I doubt it. He literally admitted that he "guessed" numerous times throughout the test! The girl, I previously mentioned, graduated magna cum laude from college. My son's friend couldn't get accepted into college, despite his athletic ability. His GPA, despite his SAT score, was the problem. Intelligence comes in a variety of forms. Some people are street-savvy. Others are very book-smart, but lack basic common sense. Then, others are what we commonly refer to as intellectuals (high IQs).