Do grades really determine intelligence (yes) or effort (no)?

Asked by: Templar
  • It depends on the child.

I have above average intelligence (sorry if that offends you, but it's a fact). I never needed to put any effort in to be a straight-A student. However, I know people who needed to put a great deal of effort into schoolwork to make good grades, and even then, effort wasn't always enough. Effort can affect grades, but they are primarily determined by intelligence. In our educational system, effort is only required if intelligence is insufficient by itself.

• Percentage matters and not intelligence only during 10th

What is the use of your intelligence if you can't score good marks in your S.S.C. For eg. A student has high IQ and scores 70% in boards exam and on the other hand a student has low IQ and scores 95% in his boards exam. Who will be respected the most ? Its obvious that the student who gets 95%will be respected more.

• Efforts are much needed

Even a person is intelligent if they don't take any effort they'll not be able to do well . So hard work is the only aid which help us to know their ability. Some may have the intelligence but they don't try to showcase their hidden talent so it is the only way

• I am Asian, not black

Because I am Asian, I must be a really smart guy.

• I am Asian, not black

• I wannabe a contrary dick.

Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life. Because life.

• Grades reflect intelligence or ability in a particular subject if a student puts out effort

Students have different capabilities, and while some students' ability is similar across different subjects, some have uneven a abilities e.g. excelling in English but below average in maths. Some may struggle with academic subjects due to a general learning (intellectual) disability or specific learning disability, but excel in non-academic areas, i.e. PE, Art, Music, Design Technology, Food Technology. However, all the listed non-academic subjects, at least in secondary require written work and therefore in a way are academic, so a student may struggle. Therefore even grades in these subjects determine intelligence or ability as does PE at GCSE or A-level as it requires academics too. However, even if the student struggles with the academic areas in these subjects, they may excel in school activities related to these subjects. They may also excel in other areas and even go into vocational training and work in that area.

A student who has the ability to get a certain percentage (which determines the grade) given appropriate effort should get it if appropriate effort is expended; with exceptional teaching and effort he or she may get a even higher mark. However, this mark will not be attained with below expected effort. It may also not be met due to other circumstances. This mark, however, will not be attained by everyone who expend the same level of effort with same environmental circumstances and teaching if their abilities or needs are different. One student may get an A* while another gets a D. Their grade was equally as good when ability is taken into account. Even a G could be an exceptional achievement for some students. Now I am not saying that universities should accept those with lower grades or employers should hire those with lower grades should be hired when the requirements are much higher, but that students should be satisfied with their grade if they tried their best. Just because a student fails (gets a U) in their qualifications or gets low passing grades does not necessarily mean they cannot get good jobs, although it would depend on whether the student has talent and training in other areas and his or her general ability. Options may be limited compared to those with higher passing grades and similar talents. However, provided a student had the ability to live independently, it would be much better for him or her to work at a job suited to him or her talent-wise and/or according to general ability than to work at a job beyond his or he reach.

Grades determine intelligence only when you look at functioning levels at other areas of life and across all subjects. They do, however, measure ability in that particular subject. They also measure effort, as students submitting work that matches expectations would have expended considerable effort, while beyond expectation grades indicated both exceptional teaching and considerable or exceptional effort.

• Its really up to the child

Because even if the child is witty outside of school he still needs to know the things he doesn't. Which includes memorizing those things, but those things will just add more knowledge to them and make use of their intelligence even more. There's a difference in the things you learn outside and inside of school. But it all stacks up to improve your intelligence. So you really do have to make an effort to memorize and familiarize some important things taught at school.

• I think effort is more important than intelligence

You use effort more offen then we use intelligence.You use effort in your work at school you use effort in your work and i'm just a kid. So you might beleve me if not, i'm sorry . If you don't beleve me you should i don't do anything bad so you can beleve that effort is more important than intelligence!

• Absolutely Not, Grades Merely Reflect Basic Understanding.

Ok, I am 19 years old and have a very high IQ, but my grades definitely do not reflect it. Because it was evident at a young age that I was way beyond an average student I was pulled out of class to participate in classes that were grades above me. I was the only one who got to do this. I pick up instruments without having played before, and I was able to read at an 8th grade level in the 2nd grade. This was positive at the time, but it became immensely detrimental later. I truly believed that I was special and that studying meant you were not smart enough. All through school I never had to really try, until I moved schools. The teachers did not know how smart I was and I had to prove it. I soon was put in all the gifted student classes but I was very bored with with work. The only subject I was not sufficient in was math because it required a lot of studying. Math was my first B ever. I was depressed because I believed they I was not good at math, but really, a B is an okay grade off someone who came to class after not really studying and just looked for patterns to solve the problems. At this point in my life I am at a prestigious college but I find it difficult. All the Information has to be memorized an I have had little practice in that. My advice to parents is, don't let your child feel too special. Make them work hard to get better and smarter because although intelligence can be measured, that does not mean one can not improve. Intelligence is something that must be exercised like a muscle. No grades to not reflect intelligence, but it is the people who make the grades that succeed.

• Cause i is black

No, I don't think grades determine intelligence. Grades are often based on arbitrary criteria. One person can do really well in certain subjects and very poorly in others, just simply by showing up. What's important is that an individual learns the processes that lead to the proper answer. Putting in the effort to learn something, even if you ultimately get the answer wrong, is more important to development than simply guessing and getting the right answer. This is why many professors will give almost full credit for a wrong answer as long as the student has shown their work

• Grades are more a sign of effort

Grades received are more a sign of effort then intelligence. Some intelligence is shown but it is more effort. I'm okay with it being this way because school is not about intelligence but also hard work and doing your best. Those that do their best should be rewarded with higher grades.

• Grades are based on tests of memory, not intelligence

Grades are based on tests. Tests are given to see how much you have memorized in a certain subject. Just because you do poorly on a test does not determine your intelligence. It just shows that you didn't retain much of a certain subject. Grades should be based on effort more than memorization because it messes with a student's head, making them feel worthless, when, in fact, they could actually be very intelligent, just a bad test taker or bad at memorization.

• One can get good grades yet not be quite as intelligent.

I have known many students and peers who have good grades yet do not possess practical intelligence. Some examinations require one to have good test taking skills and not particularly tests a person's intelligence. If someone knows how to take an exam, you can easily answer questions without prior knowledge of the material. Also examinations do not necessarily tests one's ability to do a certain task at hand. If one puts a lot of effort in studying, one can achieve good grades. Such is the case of many classes that require rote memorization, a more effort based learning approach.

• Effort determines grades

It's backwards, effort determines grades. You can very intelligent but if you don't do the work you will get a bad grade. Although intelligence would determine how much or little effort, but then it depends on whether you are intelligent at the thing being studied or if you are not.

• Effort determines intelligence.

No, I don't think grades determine intelligence. Grades are often based on arbitrary criteria. One person can do really well in certain subjects and very poorly in others, just simply by showing up. What's important is that an individual learns the processes that lead to the proper answer. Putting in the effort to learn something, even if you ultimately get the answer wrong, is more important to development than simply guessing and getting the right answer. This is why many professors will give almost full credit for a wrong answer as long as the student has shown their work.

• Griffin has good grades but is not itelligent

GRIFFIN SANDERS (@griffin_sanders) is dumb. He thinks that he is sooo smart but he is lyinggggg. Public speaking determines your intelligence, and he made an 89 on the last speech, which is a bad grade so he is IRRELEVANT. He also looks up pictures of cinnamon rolls. Roll on the floor.

• Gradz are eeeeforrt

Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort. Grades are effort.

• Intelligence is Mental Efficiency

Intelligence is part hereditary but mostly environmental; furthermore, intelligence at its core is mental efficiency which is determined by input and output. Knowledge alone is nothing; however, what you do with it is everything. This is why education can increase and advance the input but not the output which is really what matters. If a man goes to school all his life and gets straight A's al the way throug then most, I assume, would consider him a genius. If that's so what if th3 man never gets a job after achool amd purposely bevomes a gangsta for the rwat of his days not using jack squat of the knowledge he had previously obtained. Then would he be considered "smart"? The percentage of the information you've acquired (a class grade) does NOT serve to gauge intelligence and it never will.