• Intelligent and smart are NOT synonyms

The definition of the word intelligence is as follows; the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skill. The definition of smart is having or showing quick-whited intelligence. Now, what is an IQ? It stands for "intelligence quotient". An IQ is a score derived from one of several different standardized tests designed to asses intelligence. If grades don't define your intelligence, why should it be measured through a test? Aren't tests supposed to be GRADED? If you score a high grade, universities look for you because you are considered an intelligent student. Again, intelligence is the ability to apply your knowledge.

• Of course, no doubt about it.

I don't really study for my tests yet I still get 100's on nearly everything. So, it proves I am intelligent. Also, someone else pointed out the definition of intelligence, with directly fits with doing well in school.
    Another insightful person pointed out how the No Child Left Behind program focuses on the lowest and forgets about the highest. This is absolutely idiotic. This program pays schools for students to do badly on standardized testing and does not reward schools for educating our students well. WE need to change this. Take action, everyone.

• Schools track down students progress.

Students intellect is monitored through grades to know their intelligence in one aspect.
    Even if grades don't fully resemble the intelligence of student in another subject.
    However education systems build it so that your grade range would be broader to solve math problems to memorizing history facts.
    Even if it does check a small picture of the intelligence it can still give us a peak at what we might actually be able to understand.

But again it depends how you test and grade the tests.

• In·tel·li·gence noun \in-ˈte-lə-jən(t)s\ a (1) : the ability to learn or understand

Doing your school work falls into the category of learning and understanding things. Taking tests are the largest percentage of your grades also. So I believe that test scores reflect your intelligence by showing what you know but also showing that you are smart enough to study for a test because you want to pass and excel, that is an example of intelligence. There are many different forms of intelligence.(though this question refers to academic intelligence). Also this question is being asked assuming that the curriculum and method of teaching is not faulty. You cannot just say that teaching the wrong way or a faulty teacher is an excuse for not having good grades.

• Grades Do matter

Most people who say grades don't matter have bad grades themselves and if grades don't make u smart what does, Most thing done to be "smart" are almost required to get good grades. Also people who calm laziness is a factor are not "smart" enough to realize that grades matter

• Just Deal With It

Yes grades do show, to an extent, how smart a person is. Why? Because we have had for just about as long as we have had school. Most of the people who say that grades "don't show anything" are the same people who earn terrible grades and are just looking for an excuse so that they won't be marked as an idiot by his/her peers.
    I have a friend who absolutely INSISTS that he is an intellectual even though he has a meager 2.8 GPA and even got a B in English, the class that he claimed to be his "best subject". And now whenever I call him out he gives me the same excuse and tells me that it's the truth. When I ask him for proof however, he has none. Face it people, grades were invented to track a person's intellect and if they failed to do so then we wouldn't have kept them around for so long. They are not foolproof, but they are a reasonable way to differentiate the smart people from those claiming to be.

• It's all about memorization!

Students have to perform well on tests in order to succeed in the classroom. Test knowledge is all about memorization on the subject's contents. Memorization is a key brain function that is essential to a student's skill set. My personal achievements in school have not been a complete and total accident. There is a reason why some students do better than others. Ability to memorize and thrive in a school environment.

• Not fully, but Yes

Of course a grade by itself doesn't reflect intelligence, but the surrounding context such as the difficulty of the class, the level of grade inflation/deflation, and the teacher's reputation in his or her success in accurately conveying the student's academic competence should reflect "intelligence" to a point.
    First of all, it is debatable what intelligence is. If you define it as a characteristic that helps a person succeed in our society, then a person with a higher grade would obviously be considered intelligent because he or she is competent enough to complete academic tasks that theoretically would become useful later in life. If you define intelligence as critical thinking skills, there are classes that requires you to think critically, but that depends on the teacher - the context - of the class. Usually hard AP classes or most classes in a relatively good college would have decent class materials, and many high schools show the level of difficulty in class thru the use of weighted and unweighted GPA.
    Again, intelligence is vaguely defined, so I don't think school grades depict emotional or creative intelligence.

• Of course grades reflect intelligence but how good of an indicator of intelligence are they?

I feel that it's pretty obvious that good grades are easier to get for an intelligent student. But grades these days imo are too heavily based on the amount of busy work a student does and in some cases how well they can suck up to a teacher ( think participation grades which I have personally seen run from 0-30% ). I would hardly define the ability to effectively brown nose as commensurate to intelligence. Consider my case for an example.

I flunked out of high school with a 1.91 GPA. Took the GED and scored within the 97th percentile. Also took an intelligence test administered by the school psychologist which resulted in an IQ score of 136 or within the 99th percentile. So I flunked out of high school, yet qualify for mensa. What turned my off to school was the repetitive, unchallenging, uninspiring and seemingly pointless work I was forced to burden my already busy life with in order to get that A. I am also a bit of a perfectionist which only served to compound my time management problem. Oh and took the SATs too, scored a 2060.

Again dropped out of high school due to blandness and rigidity of assignments of assignments but scored a 2060 on SATs. Didn't study at all before taking them and had in fact been out of school for 5 years when I took them. Am now currently enrolled in a Community College with a 3.5 gpa. Studying Biology. The material is much more interesting, maybe because the teachers don't have to "teach to the test" in order to get the scores necessary to acquire an adequate level of state funding.

• For gtg TV TV TV ccct

TV tctctctctctcfcfcfcfcgcgvhbjnlby cgvgvhu ya r chvhy hvyvyg the clan during war on a map of the clan are ya their RAKIB the clan during war it was not a problem with the clan tag along with the clan during a visit to the mirror and save yer 2nd attack don't use it

• Of course not

Too much of getting good grades depends on the ability to do tedious busywork and copy material repetitively. Too many classes teach pointless terminology that will become outdated soon enough.

Unfortunately, a growing number of teachers seem to view classrooms as similar to the workplace, where you are expected to do a lot of work for an achievement, rather than learning for the sake of learning. They view themselves as employers overseeing pupils, rather than employees hired by the public to teach students.

As such, you can have students who perform very highly on IQ tests and standardized testing that receive poor grades, and on the other hand those with high GPAs who stress and struggle when expected to test on the ACT, for example.

For more on this, see Time Magazine's "Are We Failing Our Geniuses?" which points out that America has become more concerned with bringing the lowest up to the same level as everyone else per "No Child Left Behind" than making use of America's greatest resource, its young minds. Up to 20% of later dropouts test in the gifted range. Even as America spends more on programs for the mentally challenged, it neglects spending on programs for the mentally gifted, since the former is federally mandated, rather than the latter.

• No, grades reflect effort.

Grades reflect the effort that a student has put into the class. It might be easier for an intelligent person to get good grades, but someone of mediocre intelligence can also get good grades with hard work.

It's sort of like watching a short person and a tall person walking together. The short person can keep up with the tall person , but he has to take more steps to do so (put out more effort to have the same pace)

I was always an "average" student in school but I always scored highly on intelligence tests. I was lazy. I hated homework and I usually didn't do it. I would do the minimum to get by in most cases, especially in college. I also knew straight-As students who scored much lower on the intelligence tests than me. They were more hard working. They always studied and spent a lot of time on papers and projects and I'd just do them the night before.

• From observation, absolutely not

You will have to divide this subject into secondary and poost-secondary education.
    1. Secondary: I come from a high school where the average GPA is less than 2.00. High school was cake becuse the standard was very low due to the low test scores of the students. I graduated 3rd of my class. The valedictorian went on to college and failed his first semester of college. I on the other hand did self studies before college and succeeded through my freshman year with a 2.75.

2. Post Secondary: Just like there is inflation for school costs, there is grade inflation, ie curves on test. I study Aerospace Engineering. For most test, they are damn hard and average scores can be around 40-50 percent. If you aren't above the average by about ten points then you are getting a C. This shows that I don't have to actually do the work. I just have to do jst enough to pass the class. There is also the possibility that I had a easy professor also. I have taken professors whose teaches are very engaging and professors whose classes are just unbearable.

Moral of the story is that grades never reflects a persons ability to learn. Intelligence is based on a person's willingness to life long learning. Nowadays. The grades we make are relative to our peers. Schools tell us we are dumb if we are not up par with our peers.

• No, and it shouldn't decide one's placement and fate in society.

As we all know,everybody learns in different patterns and ways.Unfortunately,most schools do not take action when it comes to that,because everybody has to adapt to the same learning pattern as the standard academical grading system.Also,there are a lot of students,who are simply lazy or aloof towards school work, because the feel that a lot of things they are currently learning will serve very little,or no purpose at all in the real world... Do you remember exactly EVERYTHING that you were taught in school?The answer is most likely ''no''.We only retain the necessary and basic information,which we are taught at an earlier age.The truly complex things we learn later on,are like paint and decorations in a home: You don't truly need them in order to survive in that home,but it shows your taste, a little of your personality and some of your creativity.I currently am 14 years old,and I speak from personal perception and experience.Please point out any incorrect or illogical points in my arguments if you can find any.Thank you.

• Often quite the opposite

Highly intelligent kids rarely do that well at school because they find the work dull and unstimulating. Grades are more an indication of temperament, how well the kids listens, sits still, concentrates and so on. Many brilliant children suffer from learning disabilities as well which also affects their good grades.

• No. Grades alone can't scale the intelligence

Grades are now became a major concern for students ,educational institutions and even the parents. A students knowledge or skills can't be assessed by his/her grades. A good or highest grade can be obtained by just simply mugging up the topics which can makeup nothing. Unfortunately our educational institutions believe that only grades can make a student intelligent. Apart from the educational institutions parents also were in a thought that only grades can calibrate their children's knowledge/skills. Finally in my opinion grades won't judge a student .

• How could your Grades possibly determine your Intelligence?

Your grades are important yes but they can't determine if your intelligent or not. Grades aren't everything. Its just how well you do work in school and how well you score on tests. If you score high on a test you studied. It still could mean your dumb at other things in life. If you score low, you didn't study much but you can still be intelligent in some subjects then others you could be dumb at it. If that makes sense so either way Grades can't determine everything. If you cheat on something for instance you get a good grade but it could still mean your not that smart because you cheated not that smart. It could mean your smart in other places as well. Not trying means you just don't take it seriously but it doesn't mean your not intelligent. If you have an F on your report card, it might mean you weren't trying or cheated on something and lowered your grade your probably still smart! So I'm either way on this one!

• Those are two completely different things.

One could get "good" grades for memorizing a book, a paragraph or whatever it then jot that down in an exam and get grades just like that, it doesn't show nor prove anything about their "intelligence", some students may just be bored with the curriculum or may not be challenged enough to quite care, and some show their true smart out there in the real world where it really counts, how well you are with your jobs and what you can do when given the opportunity, I don't think it comes down to what number you have written on some piece of paper, I think what matters is how you express yourself, what your like, how you hold up your side of an argument and how persuasive you can be, that is intelligence. Look at all our great scientists did all of them do well at school? No.

• Grades is not a foolproof way of measuring intelligence

Grades are usually based on a limited testing arena, which is usually a pen and paper test and does not take into consideration the student's frame 0f mind while writing the exam.
    A three hour written test has its own limits and cannot judge a child's true calibre as such.

• Laziness is also a factor

One can be lazy and not do their schoolwork. Millions of people in the world are intelligent, yet we choose not to do work. I don't do my classwork frequently, yet my test grades are higher than your average grades. I never hand in homework, but I have never gotten lower than an A in quizzes.