Do grown-ups give children the respect they deserve?

Asked by: SPENCERJOYAGE14
  • Respect must be earned.

The children who get respect from adults are the ones that earn the privilege. So many in this generation seem to think that they are simply entitled- entitled to respect, entitled to grades, entitled to material goods, entitled to jobs and entry to college and good pay- just for existing.
    Granted, hover-parenting and the ridiculously overblown "self esteem movement" (where there are no winners or losers and everybody is super special) are to blame for a great deal of it. But if you act immaturely you will be treated accordingly. Act maturely and earn respect. If you act maturely and are spurned anyway- make a rational case instead of whining about it.

• Yes they do.

Grown ups do give kids the respect they deserve. They are kids, and they do not command respect and do not just deserve it. If a kid is respectful to grown up then I am sure that the grown up will show that kid respect as they have earned it.

• Respect is not a right; it is not given automatically.

While children have the right to a safe and loving environment, they do not automatically receive respect from their parents or any adults because they have not yet gained that respect. The definition of respect describes it as "a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, and achievements. Respect can be lost in the adult/child relationship when either the adult or the child falters in his or her responsibilities; however, children often expect respect without putting much effort into their end of the bargain. To earn a an adults respect, a child needs to live up to the adults expectations, just as an adult should live up to a child's expectations to earn his or her respect. There is a reciprocity in the arrangement.

• Perspectives differ for everyone

It's not a clear cut answer for many reasons, but in the general case, I would have to say that yes, children usually get the respect they deserve. As adults, we know how much we've learned since we were a child's age, so we have a different perspective on most of their views and opinions. It's the same for a teenager to not take much of what a preschooler takes too seriously.

Obviously there are exceptions, to which most reasonable adults will cater to and treat the child with more, or as the case may be, less respect. So until a child earns the respect they think they deserve, they will usually get the blanket generalization, which is a generalization for a reason.

• Respect is Most Definitely Earned

Some (young) children traits are that they are selfish, inconsistent, egotistical, dishonest, disrespectful, and a handful of others. Granted that they also have a barrel full of good traits, too. The case that stands is that the bad traits need to be educated out of them. Not all children react accordingly and behave as an ideal child once taught. Part of the problem is that they need to be taught. The child will be as good as the parent is to them. A natural human trait is also to be reluctant to change. Are there a lot of respectful children? Yes. Are there a lot of disrespectful child that spoils the general view on children? Yes. Is it the child’s fault? No, I believe it’s the adult’s fault. For that reason I do not respect the parents and put most blame on them (depending on the child’s age he/she will begin to share more of the burden).

• Respect is different than kindness

It's obvious by their responses that children don't understand what respect is. A children get older respect is not received automatically. It must be earned through appropriate behavior and beginning to perform daily life and tasks that sustain themselves, ie. Getting good grades on thier own, getting a job, paying for thier own cell phone, learning when they can participate in certain discussions. Shaking the hand of every veteran you see is respect.

• Respect is different than kindness

• Of course not.

Age doesn't determine maturity, it only estimates it. I know some 11 year olds more mature than 25 year olds. So when you next see a 14 year old, don't act like he's dumb because he's "just a kid". I strongly think kids need more respect if they are gonna grow up respectful. Respect shouldn't be earned, it should be there to begin with. And it should only be dis-earned when they do something that makes them no longer deserve the respect.

• No, they do not.

Children are people to. It is funny yet cruel when I see a kid get sent to the hall, and the teacher attempts to shame them by asking if they are able to handle being in the classroom. It's not like they can defend themselves without- "Talking Back" Example: This happened to me-

"Nate and Samira, what are you doing?!" The band teacher asked me.

We looked up. I was showing her how to play on a measure, and we were quietly tapping on the notes of a bell kit while she was telling the trumpets something.

"I'm showing her how to play the measure..." I said with a bit of annoyance in my voice.

"You interrupted the whole class. It is rude and you need to go into the hall if you can't handle yourself." She said as she raised her voice...

At this time I really wanted to tell her that we were not making noise, and in fact we didn't need to listen because it was completely un related to our part, and in fact she was the one who interrupted the class. And. I then did after Samira (The girl I was showing how to play the measure) started to walk into the hall and I thought that was ridiculous, The teacher was stunned, but couldn't say anything but that: we were wasting the classes time and she doesn't need us to talk back to her. So basically: I'm not able to come up with a reasonable comeback. Lol!

• Children are younger,

Not as smart, not as wise, not as tall, but they're opinions should still be counted as important. Once I was standing with my parents when somebody asked their views on dating, I was going to tell them my views but they shushed me and told me to go play. How humiliating. A 14 year old girl being told to play. Now, you are reading this thinking, "how stupid". And that's what I mean! Not very many grownups give children any indication of knowing their existence when talking about anything.

• Age Does Not Mean That Much

Just because someones 15 does not mean their opinion means any less the someone whos 50. If kids recieved more respect and fair treatment, they would probably stop acting so childish. Treat them like developing people, not dumb animals. Do you treat a Adult with Down Syndrome like they are lesser or don't matter? No you don't or at least shounldn't. Then dont treat a kid or young adult like that.

• It's a clear answer, I think!

Of course they do not. It's like all your years as a child and then as a teen you're taught what's ethical and what's not, the right and the wrong and things alike, but then, as soon as you grow up you forget them all. Looking at the grown ups that I have to deal with it seems like you're taught only to go on and forget. To me, it doesn't seem right! But well. That is how it is.
    Grown ups do not give children the respect they deserve! (But they should.)

• No, of course they don't

Adults rarely give children the respect they deserve. They don't ever listen to them, or allow them to make choices or at least have input on then. Matilda came to mind when I read this question. I think adults should give children more respect, I think that would prevent some teens and young children from developing depression or having suicidal thoughts. I mean all it takes is a little respect

• Grownups can underestimate children

Yes, most children may be immature, stupid, retarded, dumb, etc. But there are always exceptions. Kids may have wild imaginations and don't tell the truth because they don't know anything, but there are times when, even though a child could be telling the truth about something that is imperative, grownups tend to disregard it.

• Adults are more childish than they say the kids act.

Adults never listen to their children. It's very rare to find an adult who actually values their kid's opinion, Let alone their life. You see all these sex-starved losers on YouTube and all over the internet ranting about how "evil" and "ugly" children are, Saying they need to be burnt at the stake, Sent to slavery, Etc.

Grownups treat their dirty pets as they should be treating their children. It saddens me so to see a kid whose life will be ruined by an emotionally abusive, Snobby elitist parent who think he/she knows everything in the whole wide world.

One article I've read concerned a woman apologizing to her husband and saying that even though [her children] act more like banshees than actual people, "even they" deserve to be given an apology. Like, How clueless are you? Of course children need respect, Otherwise they'll run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

People fail to realize that it's adults who have "ruined" our country. Never once does anyone say that, Instead they go for the "easier" criticism that these things just happen and the world is a bad place. Adults are always in cahoots with other people, So they raise their children to fight and make fun of them because of it. I bet if a teenager got the right to decide who was president, Our country would be much more advanced.

So no. HELL NO, Adults don't give kids no respect. Almost every single one is a snivling, Disgusting excuse for a human being that deserves to rot in the depths of the underworld. Both kids and some teenagers deserve to live in a home full of loving attentive parents, Not the boneheads our world is known for.

Rant over.

• I give so much respect and get nothing.

I am adopted. I don't think this should affect it but it might. I do nothing but help my parents and never hesitate to do what I'm told and very rarely talk back unless I feel very strong about something. If I tell my mom I don't feel comfortable doing something or that I don't agree with something I am being "disrespectful" and not simply stating my opinion. I compliment my mom almost everyday. She tells me that I need to loose weight and never do anythinf around to help the house. That I can not have my window open when I am got because they pay the bills and own the house but I have to help clean up a mess someone else made because I live there to. I think it's a load of crap and that I should be allowed to state how I feel about something and weather or not I'm comfortable with it without I being seen as disrespectful. As well as being put down multiple times by my family or when someone else tries to stand up for me my parents say "no she's just doing her job." If I show nothing but respect shouldn't I be respected? "Treat others as you would have them do into you" - The Golden Rule

• Children are people, too. We have opinions just like the rest of you.

I don't think that children are getting the respect that they deserve. If adults respected all children, even the kids who think they're better than everyone, think of how much more of a cooperative society we would be. Some kids at my school are incredibly intelligent and make arguments on topics way better than most adults I know. My parents will often laugh at me, give me a weird look, or comment something hurtful whenever I try to give my opinion. For example, at church today, my dad was asking why I didn't bring a coat. I answered that it's fifty degrees outside and that I didn't need a coat. My friend's mom shook her head and said, "You're gonna catch a cold, you know." My dad backed her up, and I began to debunk this idiocracy. I've had to make this argument more than once with a handful of people before. I replied to her statement with, "You do know that you can't really catch a cold by being out in the cold, right? You might develop hypothermia or frostbite if it's cold enough, but fifty degrees isn't enough to cause either. Colds are caused by germs spreading from one person to another, usually transmitted through the air by a sneeze or cough or by touching a surface with the terms on it and not washing your hands." After I had said this, they proceeded to laugh at me. "You can't trust what you learn on the web, you know," my dad chuckled and continued on with his conversation with her.

I felt embarrassed and, quite frankly, a little pissed at these two supposedly know-it-all adults. Yes, I did pick it up from the web, but I watched a documentary with interviews from actual doctors with degrees about different illnesses and the likes. I also learned it from health class, where we were being taught about how different diseases are passed on from one person to another.

Please, if you're an adult, take childrens' opinions into consideration. You might not be right all the time. And to my parents - You aren't perfect. I'm not either. So stop acting like you know everything and let me speak my opinion without completely destroying what little self-confidence I have left.

Thanks for reading.

DudeStop says2013-11-20T04:25:27.690
I love how the adults think yes and the kids think no...
Zhege says2013-11-20T17:40:23.963
You should consider that none of the kids have given a reason as to why they deserve respect other than they are not animals with Down Syndrome.
SPENCERJOYAGE14 says2013-11-20T17:46:50.077
Because we are people too, and everyone is important. Respecting our opinions shows you care about us as a individuals.
Zhege says2013-11-20T17:54:45.630
Everyone should be dealt with respect as everyone is important. Now, that does not mean I have to swallow anything you feed me and there lies a problem that children apparently do not comprehend. Just as I have no reason to believe an adult, I have less of a reason to believe in a child. Children are more prone to deceitful acts, for starters. If this debate was "Do grown-ups give adults the respect they deserve?" the answer would still be no. Want an early lesson in life? You are entitled to nothing.
DudeStop says2013-12-07T05:21:22.100
Kids obviously see this and immediately will say no... Without having given it to much of thought...

Adults see this. And say yes, because they do not want to admit that they are wrong. And also, I believe they don't put much *thought* into this either, Could you imagine if this was all No's? It would be horrible. Ha ha.

MY OPINIONS^^^ Just sharing em mate. I can't support any of this with evidence, so please don't get mad.

The theory I have is this though: (Get mad, I guess,,,?)
It's an opinion on how respect SHOULD be given to children. Therefor, It is hard to say if we give them the right amount of respect. This poll is out of opinion, not facts sir. It is not bad at all for someone to say yes or no, because they all have different opinions. That's life.
Danderekitsune says2014-09-29T05:21:29.130
It's funny that all the adults put Yes and the Kids/Teens put no I'll remember these things when I'm a "Adult" so i know how to properly raise and teach my children.
blackdevil says2018-08-15T08:19:14.710
Respect has to be earned, I get that. But usually kids give respect to adults at first and then aren't given the respect that they have given. So the kid starts showing less respect towards adults because they are not treated like their opinions or views matter. Kids are taught to respect their elders and not to "talk back" but what adults consider "talking back" is just the kid trying to voice their opinion. Today me and my cousin were skating in my neighborhood and some lady who we don't know starts to cuss at us. I had seen her once before (she lives on the third story) and she had said it something to me but I couldn't understand it. She apparently found that good enough reason to yell at my cousin who she had never seen before. My cousin was being very respectful and kind. But not all adults deserve my respect. If they deserve it I will give it. But if kids deserve it we should actually get it.