Do kids learn exactly what they need to know in school?

Asked by: NaziLovingOtaku
  • Kids do not learn anything important

As a high schooler I do not learn anything information that will actually help me in the real world. I also don't learn anything interesting unless I find a way to squeeze my topic into the conversations (which I try, and do, quite frequently). It gets really boring and makes me feel like the government only wants us to do what we are told and be good little drones that will work to get paid

• To an extent

Is social studies or history really going to help us? When will we need to know when Gorge Washington was born in the work force? Never. Math teaches us what we need to know about 40% of the time. Some of the stuff they teach us we won't ever use.

• Of Course Not

Exactly what they need to know is an incredibly broad description. There are just so many things kids may or may not need to know about life and about the world they live in, and its ridiculous to even consider that school covers it all.

As someone who is at the end of their of their compulsory education, and has attended five different schools, a mixture of private and public, I can firmly answer no to this question.

• High Schoolers Shouldn't Answer This Question

Depending on which school you go to, you may be lucky enough to learn everything that you need for the next level of life. If you are going to college, then you may not know the things that make college life easy, but you know the basics that will allow you to survive. The only remaining step is that you have to quickly learn how to discipline yourself, or else you will face difficulty in this massive transition. However, if you intend to immediately enter the workforce after high school, then you don't know a lot of the real world skills that you need. Things like time & money management, nutritional/cooking knowledge, and business sense. So I would advise high schoolers to look into their school curriculum and consider what options they have, based on their future plans.

• To some extent but not really.

Students have a lot of classes but most of them generally have no correlation to what profession they want to be. If you want to be a doctor, since when is learning world history going to help you? It's not. It's a complete waste of 52 minutes (My Class Time). Teachers need to inform students on things that all individuals one way or another will have to participate in such as taxes or driving.

• To some extent but not really.