• If it's meant to be, it will be

Regardless of your opinion on the Bible, I believe it defines love pretty clearly:

"4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away." 1 Corinthians 4-8

If you are willing to trust in your partner not to seek out another relationship, if you are going to put in the time and commitment to speak and see them as much as possible, if you are going to support your partner in all challenges that they face and praise them in their successes, if you are going to hold no grudges for past mistakes, if you are going to be selfless and do what it takes in order to be closer someday, if you are going to be patient and not push that person to make rash decisions, then I believe it will truly work out, but it takes two...

• It's all about commitment

My wife and I had a long distance relationship before we got married, and we're not talking about halfway across the country, but rather halfway around the world. We kept in touch via Skype, and while it wasn't always easy, we were both committed to the relationship and wanted it to work. So it goes to show that if you really want something, you'll go through anything to get it.

• It depends on the people involved

I myself am in a long distance relationship, I live in the UK and my boyfriend lives in the US, we've been together for 5 years and met last year in person for 2 and a half months. I won't say long distance relationships are for everyone and it is indeed painful being away from each other, however it depends on the couple to make it work. What I think makes this work for my boyfriend and I is that we are both avid gamers and playing online games together is as fun as regular couples going to the cinema and such, if we were both really active people who hardly spent any time at home it might not have worked out for us. Communication is very important for us and we love each other enough that the lack of sexual intimacy isn't enough for us to break it off. I just think long distance relationships can work if both parties are committed and love each other enough and want to work hard towards a future together ^-^