Do miracles occur in the modern world and in everyday life?

Asked by: DrJon
  • Miracles still can happen

A miracle cannot be explained so it is a natural phenomenon. Such goes as everyday in the hospitals around the world, when some people's heartbeats stop but after a few minutes they start again. People recover from diseases, get through hard times, or are homeless but then win the lottery.

• My step father is a miracle!

My step father showed my mother the time of her life while I was a baby and my father was taking care of us properly. Well he left her to take care of his own family. So later on she split up with my father and started dating other people. It was nine years before she found My step father. Nine Years! And he's the best father I've ever had. You tell me that's not a miracle, and I will show you a person who is full of shit.

• Miracles Still Happen

We can define a miracle as something that is so improbable that it is difficult to explain as a natural phenomenon. It is indisputable that such events happen: people fully recover from "incurable" diseases, people are successful when their situation appeared hopeless. These miraculous events offer involve the invocation of God or a higher power. Examples: http://999miracles.com

• There is no such thing as chance when it comes to God or miracles

Chance as a real force is a myth. It has no basis in reality and no place in scientific inquiry. For science and philosophy to continue to advance in knowledge, chance must be demythologized once and for all. –RC Sproul

If chance exists at all apart from that which can be measured through exact probability,God becomes an anachronism. Trust me---miracles DO happen.

• Miracles cannot be observed.

Miracles happen everywhere around the world. Such as relieving from cancer without the help of anything but by a natural outcome or an act by God. Miracles can be morality to others, so no miracles are seen by the public which can become big headlines. Thank you for listening !

• No they don't.

A miracle is something that has no natural explanation, or to put it another way, it requires a supernatural explanation. As human understanding of the natural world grows, there is less and less need of the concept of "miracles" to make sense of our world. Even if we adopt the relaxed definition of something that is "almost impossible" happening, simple mathematics shows that the "almost impossible" happens countless times every single day.

• An atheist can admit that "miracles" happen,

But what the atheist means by "miracles" and what the theist means by that same term can be two very different things indeed. For the theist, a miracle is as easy to explain as it is impossible to comprehend, because it is simply an act of God. As such, no further investigation is necessary because all further investigation is futile. After all, it's a miracle! For the atheist, on the other hand, miracles are simply things we do not yet understand, and nothing more. Assuming them to be anything more than that is a dubious interpretation at best or a deliberate act of manipulation at worst.

Whatever the case, it is certainly not a belief in "miracles" that is the problem between theists and atheists, but the different meanings that each derives from them. The theist thinks a miracle informs us about the existence of a higher intelligence, while the atheist knows a miracle is simply evidence of our own ignorance. And while one sees them as a license to act like God, the other sees them as a reminder that we are only human.

• No such thing.

Just statistical improbabilities/anomalies and things that have yet to be explained. For instance, the odds of winning the Powerball are 292,201,338 to 1. Tho for an individual to pick a 6 numbers correctly is improbable, if 292,201,338 people were to pick numbers, it is probable that one will be a winner. Thing is, statistics don't always equal results. If I was to flip a coin 10 times, statistically, it should come up heads 5 times but that does not mean it will.

• Miracles are irrational religious dogma.

Everything in the occurring universe happens for a natural reason, not some sort of insanity proposed by religious organizations, there is no omnipotent intervention. A miracle is an event not explicable by natural or scientific laws. Such an event may be attributed to a supernatural being (a deity), magic, a miracle worker, a saint or a religious leader. That is not possible and an idea that preys upon the weak.

• Of course not

In this day and age of recording, of everyone having a phone to record EVERYTHING a miracle would have been recorded and would be in the news, such a thing has never happened since it was possible to record shit, what a coincedence.

There are no miracles, if you beleive otherwise then prove it, untill then there is 0 reason to believe there are any

• Miracles cannot be observed.