• I say yes.

Everyone knows right from wrong. The problem is that many people want to do their own thing, regardless of whether it's right or wrong. The Bible warns of a time when men will say that right is wrong and wrong is right. This is a sign of the End Times, foretold in the Book of Revelation. Anyone who follows the news knows that those times are here.

• Right Or Wrong

HI I am Callum I am a SWFC fan and I went to the game against Hull last night and I just want to get peoples views on Forestieri;'s red card - did he dive or was it a foul by Dawson. WAWAW Carlos Had A Dream Up The Owls.

• It is the principle of wisdom.

'The feeling of commiseration belongs to all men; so does that of shame and dislike; and that of reverence and respect; and that of approving and disapproving. The feeling of commiseration implies the principle of benevolence; that of shame and dislike, the principle of righteousness; that of reverence and respect, the principle of propriety; and that of approving and disapproving, the principle of knowledge (wisdom).' (Mencius 11.6) 'Approving and disapproving' is telling between right and wrong. To quote an experiment earlier cited by another DDO member in another opinions question, when babies choose a puppet with whom to play, they tend to play with the bullied puppet and even showed dissatisfaction towards the bullying puppet. I think that is very clear proof that humans are born with the ability to tell between right and wrong.

• If you approach this question as basically as possible....

If you strip this down, do people have the morality to make the right decision in a situation where it counts. Discarding cultural ideas or ancestral differences like some people seem to be focusing on, the question is whether or not at our basic HUMAN level, do we know right from wrong? And I would say yes to that question, based on the fact that society isn't very accepting of sociopaths, people who have different physical brain structures to the rest of the population, and who have different moral standards, standards shunned by everyone around them. I believe that, to me at least, proves we all operate on pretty much the same moral wavelength. Now whether or not people choose to FOLLOW this knowledge....That's a whole other issue.

• People Are Inherently Good

Most humans know what is right. Otherwise, why has the collective of Earth's people decided that murder is wrong, theft is wrong, torture is wrong, and vandalism is wrong and taken steps to enforce it. If most people disagreed with that then a revolution would occur in all countries that ban murder, theft, torture, and vandalism but that doesn't happen. Of course, the collective's idea of morality changes slightly from century to century but since the creation of civilized man, it has remained on the same principles of basic human freedoms.

• The question asks about "most" people not "all".

However a question like this requires perspective. A long time ago "right" would mean my tribe thriving and yours dying out, this was inherently correct because my life, and that of my people, was more important than anything else. This holds true, more or less. Between nations today. So you might say that the argument breaks down across cultures, peoples, and belief systems...

But this question is not trying to pinpoint the meaning of right and wrong to any certain people, or to any specific era, it is asking if the inherent belief in "right or wrong" holds true to within any group, and of that group of individuals, would most of them agree on "right or wrong".

We all know that stealing is bad, cheating is bad, assault is bad, etc. and yet we do these things anyway, and some broken few of us indeed murder even when we know it's bad. Some people, unfortunately, can't conceive of the idea of "right and wrong".

But the fact of the matter is that most people have agreed on what is "right and wrong", at least as long as we've had Hammurabi's Code of Laws from c. 1778 B.C., and we have built civilizations based on the rule of law in one way or another. We have contrived punishments for those "wrongdoers", have built prison systems to house them, heck we even invented the continent of Australia to send them to.

Fact is: the creation of laws and codes to abide by means that a vast majority of people have systemically and naturally decided that some things are "right" and some things are "wrong", the nuances of religion and politics interfering with that do not negate the base moralities that we have grown up with as a species.

P.S. People are less likely to misbehave if a pair of eyes are watching them:

Likewise the source (aka technical version) is here:

Meaning: we evolved to behave better when we are being observed by our fellow man.

• If people knew right from wrong our moralities wouldnt be constantly changing

All throughout history our moralities have been changing and there was a time when conventional people were burning and torturing others for their beliefs. Not one precept in history has been permanent. Not to mention there are people who contradict each other on every single precept so there is no way that we all know right from wrong or even that most of us know right from wrong. Look at jesuses morality and look at mussolinis morality. Read the bible and read a buddhist book. Everyone disagrees on whats right and wrong thus they dont all know right from wrong.

• Right Or Wrong

• Right Or Wrong

• Right Or Wrong

• Folks, you're asking the wrong question.

Nature does not recognize right and wrong-- only balance, and imbalance. We are wired to view balance as 'right', and imbalance as injustice. An example; when somebody doesn't do their work, but gets paid the same, we tend to feel hostile towards them. When, in reality, it's good that this person, who is poor anyway, is now going to be able to feed his starving children. Another example; when somebody who's never worked a day in their lives is so rich they could buy the island you live on, and you've been fishing your ass off for a decade, just to survive. You view this as an imbalance, but what if this rich dude has never really done anything wrong, other than be rich? He never actually took anything from you, but you still feel wronged. Another problem; we view right and wrong through societal mediums that limit our very perception of life, such as economic class, or political disposition. We often view arbitrary differences between groups or factions as 'right' or 'wrong', even though one has done anything to wrong the other. This is also what causes us to be hostile to outcasts; they are an imbalance in our social medium, therefore they are wrong. Folks, the question you should be asking is; how can we improve our societal medium(s) to remove this negative bias and discrimination?

• The word "know" is incorrect. Use the term "conceptualize ideas about"

Know implies the person truly knows it and couldn't be wrong. Indeed since right and wrong is ultimately subjective one can't know it. One's concept about right and wrong is one's personal ideal of how things should be. Hence sociopaths/psychopaths aren't exactly evil just apathetic about the world around them (and so open to good or evil on whim). The opposite sort of person would be very pushy about having everything "just so" like a lot of autistic people are. Autism may well be the opposite of sociopathy. Fortunately the more high-functioning autistics eventually idealize letting certain things go and idealizing prioritization to avoid overload and that's when the greatest achievements are produced.

Some would say you are not conceptualizing you are feeling but that is ultimately a distinction without a difference. Anything emotional can be restated in terms that says a person is thinking using logic or concepts or reason. And vice versa. They are just different metanarratives and not truly different things.

• Define right and wrong,

While I agree most people know how to function in society and increase chances of positive interaction and survival, to say what is inherently good or evil poses a whole new argument. Morals are all a matter of perspective. If someone gets an abhortion are they evil? Some say yes, others say no. Are woman lesser than men, some say yes others no. Morality has to many different shades to state that people are inherently born with a knowledge of morals.

• Who decides what is right and what is wrong

Right from wrong is often a human judgement. Who is to say that its wrong to push into a line, perhaps survival of the fittest is what is really right and we should push in lines.

Most people agree major things like murder are wrong but perhaps they are really not wrong.