Do nonbelievers deserve to burn in hell for all of eternity?

Asked by: steffon66
  • It should read...

...Do people, who have rejected God, deserve to burn in Hell for all eternity. A non believer is someone who has decided that they would rather live a life of sin, rather than accept Gods saving grace. Mankind put itself in this boat because Adam disobeyed God. Everyone is born with a knowledge of God, in their heart. Even if they never hear the Word of God, they know there is a God. God is also evident in Creation. A blind man could see it. All one needs to do, is acknowledge God and do good. So. What this all boils down to, is someone rejects their Creator. They say 'I'm gonna do it MY way. So, yeah. They deserve it. In spades.

• God requires perfection to enter heaven, and the only way to be perfect in the sight of God is to believe in Christ.

True, not believing in a religion is not hurting anybody. But since God requires perfection to enter heaven, and no one is perfect, we all deserve to burn in hell. Christ was absolutely perfect, and when he paid the price for the sins of the world, he made it possible for people to go to heaven. However, the only way his sacrifice can be accounted to you is to accept what he did and believe in him. Religious morality is not screwed up. Imagine a criminal being tried before a judge. He has gotten a sentence of death because of his crimes. The criminal pleads that the judge is being unfair because despite the murder he committed, he spent most of his life being a good person, so his goodness outweighs whatever bad thing he might have done. Would you approve the judge releasing this man? Do you want this criminal to go free without any consequences?
    God is perfect. In order to avoid going to hell, the only way is to believe Jesus Christ died for you and he has made you qualified. Nothing you can do will get you into heaven otherwise.
    Christians do not believe they can "do what ever they want." True, they can, but if they are real Christians, they want to please God above all because they love him. Christianity is not about religion, but about a relationship.

• Absolutely, and I am packing my beach towel.

I am all ready to enjoy my summer vacation in Hell and go swimming in the lakes of sulfur. Unfortunately this is all wishful thinking by theists and so I feel that I am being cheated by not getting my free one way ticket to the vacation of a life. BTW, I hope when you read this, you can see the sarcasm dripping of the words. ITS NOT REAL.

• Well, they did a bad sin.

All non-believers and people like that deserve their punishment for such a crime. God knows this and He will make the decision. It will happen and all those who didn't believe and follow His words will be tortured endlessly and they will regret the choice they made FOREVER!!! Those people deserve to burn in hell for all of eternity

• God should save them

The people even if they didn't believe they shouldn't go to hell and that is a bad thing. It can make the kingdom of god fall(which isn't possible.) also they could be sent to hell forever and this may be a terrible mistake. They would be tortured endlessly. Ok….. Done.

• God has told us.

Joel 2:28 And afterwards, I will pour out my spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophecy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will have visions.
    We see Peter proclaim Joel's prophecy in, Acts 2:16-18, but this is what spoken through the prophet Joel. AND IT SHALL BE THE LAST DAYS, THAT I WILL POUR FORTH MY SPIRIT ON ALL MAN KIND; AND YOUR SONS AND DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHECY, AND YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS, AND YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS. So this tells us, that all humans will have a chance to believe, by God pouring out His spirit. Unfortunately, people steel wont believe. For they only care about lustful things of the flesh.
    In John 6:35-37. Jesus said to them, "i am the bread of life; he who comes to me will never hunger, and he who believes in me will never thirst. But I said to you that you have seen me, and yet you do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me,and the one who comes to me I will certainly not cast out.
    Now the Father is God, and he has given us all unto Jesus, by pouring out his spirit on all human flesh. Yet they steal chose not to believe, that Jesus (GOD) came and died for them to have eternal life.
    Now if someone rejects you, you reject them also don't you. God has given the choice of eternal, or you can reject it. It is all on you, not on God or Satan, it was your choice to reject, that he died and rose from the grave for you. Stop listening to the blah blah, and listening to the truth.

• Yes, They Should.

They deserve to burn in hell for all of eternity because most people who do not believe in god turn bad and think that SCIENCE created them. Firstly, GOD DIDN'T CREATE SIN. It was US humans! That's why there were killings and wars! In the Bible (and the bible is FACT) (who would dare write it if it's not?), God sent 12 JUDGES in order for us HUMANS to turn our faith unto Him. In order for us to have Faith for ALWAYS. But what did we do? Instead of believing, we REJECTED HIM. Because of the motto "to SEE is to BELIEVE". Are we still waiting for Him to send another JUDGE? You see people, WE CANNOT TAKE GOD FOR GRANTED. See my point? God wanted the non-believers to turn their faith to Him again. He gave them CHANCES already. But I guess they were too BLIND to see it? Because of their state for being a NON-BELIEVER.

• Any god that thinks this is a just punishment is not my god.

I assume we are talking about non-believers in Christianity and/or the other Abrahamic faiths. I used to be a "strong" Christian who was "on fire" for god and all that good stuff. I was considering Bible college, and had taken classes and even delivered sermons. Then, I began to allow myself to honestly question how a god of such pure love as I have experienced, and who supposedly possessed so much power, could just decide that people should burn in hell. Or slaughter innocents, or anything of the like. I have concluded that while I do believe in a god (possibly gods), I will never check my brain at the door again. If god is love, and god is just, then god cannot just send people to hell. It is horrific, and inconsistent.

• God will save them

My humble opinion is maybe God does not chose everyone right now to get saved. Isaiah 25. 7,8
    On this mountain he will destroy
    the shroud that enfolds all peoples,
    the sheet that covers all nations;
    he will swallow up death forever.

In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself, that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth - in Him. (Ephesians 1:7-

• God will save them

On this mountain he will destroy
    the shroud that enfolds all peoples,
    the sheet that covers all nations;
    he will swallow up death forever.

• We are not born with free will.

If the human race were born with free will then we would be free not only of the choices we make but the consequences of our actions as well. We could look God in His eyes and tell Him that He doesn't have the right to judge us. Mankind is slaves to God ,sin,or both. Mankind will never be free as long as God is God. God is the only one who deserves Hell for creating mankind.

• Of course not.

First of all, There is no God! Because if there is God, There'll will be no conflict, no war, no killing, and no etc... God is not real, A lot of People depends on God, They always say that everything is an act of God! That's a big joke, We are on our own here in this world! We should stop all the Religious nonsense stuff because it won't help us solve our problems, the answers to our problem is in ourselves, so we should start helping each other! We are all created by SCIENCE and we will discover how any other way.

• Never agreed with that

I'm a Christian and I myself don't think unbelievers deserve to burn in hell forever and ever. More and more these days I disagree with that idea and have started to wonder if we as believers even have it right. I somehow don't think it's fair or even makes sense for someone to actually burn forever and ever.

• God should save them

• How do people believe this?

This doctrine is the major reason I ceased being a Christian well over thirty years ago. It just boggles the mind. If God is omniscient, then he knew before he created man that he was creating a species of which the vast majority would suffer unimaginable torment that never ends. What sort of sick, sadistic being would continue with creation knowing that? Why not proceed to plan B? And then when you look at who gets to burn forever, and who doesn't, it becomes even more sickening. The only saving grace of this whole idea (and it's a feeble one at that), is that by missing out on the lake of fire, it sounds like you end up with a fate that doesn't sound a whole lot better - you get to tell God how great he is for all eternity. Yawn.

• Punishment doesn't fit the "crime"

1. Assuming a standard interpretation of hell as eternal suffering, the punishment is infinitely severe, for a person not believing something during a finite lifetime. The severity of the crime is finite, while the severity of the punishment in infinite
    2. Nonbelief isn't a crime at all and even if it was, it certainly wouldnt be deserving of eternal suffering in hell.
    There are many plausible, at the very least understandable, reasons not to believe in God. God could easily make his presence more obvious, yet does not. It seems implausible that an infinitely loving God would condition salvation on the belief in his existence yet would not make this existence more clear. If the stars rearranged themselves to spell out "I am here" I can assure you, any doubts I would have about Gods existence would be erased. Yet he doesn't do so.
    Moreover, if one agrees with the premise that bad intention is necessary for one to be deserving of punishment, then disbelief is an inadequate standard for who is to burn in hell for all eternity. Nonbelievers are simply believing what they perceive to be what evidence suggestions, and conclude that God or Christ does not exist. They are not saying "God exists, but screw that guy!" or they wouldn't be nonbelievers. They have no intention of "defying the will of God" bc they do not think that there is such a will. Therefore, nonbeliever say nothing about the ill intentions of nonbelievers and thus nonbeliever cannot be sufficient justification for infinite suffering nonbelievers do not deserve to burn in hell for all eternity.
    *Note: This argument doesn't depend on you thinking that non-believers are justified in their non-belief, only that a well-meaning individual could reasonably come to these conclusions.

• I think actions and not beliefs are punishable.

First of all there are thousands of religions where only one of them can be true so its illogical to believe in one while dismissing all the others. Not believing in a religion isnt hurting anybody. So christians believe that they can do whatever they want and go to heaven but you could be the best person you can be and youll burn in hell for not believing. Religious morality is screwed up. A christian thinks that a person who gets married and has 14 kids and lets some of them die from preventable causes is better than a person who has sex with multiple partners and only has a few kids who he takes care of very well. This isnt gods religion.

SweetTea says2014-05-27T11:51:22.120
Do they deserve it? That's not my call, yours, or anyone else's.
doomswatter says2014-05-27T19:02:11.117
Unless you are religious, by what criteria are you to judge whether or not someone is deserving of anything?
steffon66 says2014-05-27T19:24:00.073
Doomswatter. What criteria do i have to judge whether or not someone deserves something? By using my own brain and asking questions like what are we? Spiritual or physical beings who have free will or not what are we in relation to each other? Equals or on the clock job titles etc. why are we here? Which will determine what you should be doing with your life. And what should the top priorities of a morality be? For instance preventing pain suffering and misery or promoting human happiness. There are many quesitons one must ask themselves to have a shot at having a good morality. Religious morality isnt good. They dont answer some really important quesitons and they answer a lot of questions wrong. For instance should you punish a child for the sins of their parents and all throughout the bible god is said to do that. If he is all powerful then why would he have to send someone to suffer so we can be forgiven for our sins? If he is all powerful then why did he kill every child and animal in the world with the flood instead of just the bad guys? Your an idiot if you think that people cant know right and wrong without religion and that contradicts the belief of the tree of knowledge which says we do know right and wrong whether we are religious or not. Idiot
doomswatter says2014-05-27T19:31:43.180
Steffon66, what reason have I given you to call me an idiot? I only asked a simple question.
steffon66 says2014-05-27T19:39:15.900
Im sorry doomswatter. I have anger issues. Thats why i joined this sight. Im trying to become tolerant of stupid opinions. But you werent just asking a question it seemed like a retorical question. I thought you were telling us that without a religion you have no criteria to determine whats right and wrong. And every religion is different and opposes every other religion and i think we can do a better job of determining whats right and wrong than religions that say a perfect god punishes children for the sins of the parents and sends his son to be tortured for our sins when he is all powerful and could have saved us without sending an innocent person to suffer. I could be god like according to the bible by torturing your children for your sins. Religion sucks and people shouldnt believe it.
steffon66 says2014-05-27T19:50:03.107
But if we have no criteria on which to determine what is right or wrong then how are we deciding that some religious beliefs are wrong like slavery and misogyny. If we had no other way of knowing what was right or wrong we would still own slaves and mistreat women and punish children for sins of their parents like the christian god does all throughout the bible.
doomswatter says2014-05-27T19:51:26.887
No, my question was not rhetorical. I already know that most religious people draw their morality and values from their religion, and that's why I excluded them. I genuinely wanted to know how nonreligious people decide whether or not someone deserves something. In my opinion, there is no true "right and wrong". For example, I live my life by the basic principle that as long as I'm not intentionally hurting someone who hasn't hurt me, what I'm doing is probably OK. I think this is a good principle, and I believe that it's a good one for everyone to follow. However, ultimately, I have no true authority by which to tell people that my opinion or principle is "right", and theirs is "wrong". Their opinion might seem wrong to me, but I can't really prove that it is.

I believe, without some god boss telling you what to do, the only way to know anything is through the laws of physics and logic. The laws of logic are what keep me from embracing any of the religions I've studied, but they are not enough to decide on an ultimate "right" morality.
steffon66 says2014-05-27T19:58:02.277
Well again im sorry dude. And i think thats a wise opinion. We shouldnt hurt people who arent hurting anyone and thats part of my problem with religion. Your right though. There is no way of proving that your opinion of right and wrong is right. On everything that is but some things are simple like your belief that you shouldnt hurt anyone who isnt hurting you. Thats pretty simple but still you cant prove it its just something you either understand or you dont. So i guess your right. But you ask what criteria is there for determining who deserves what without religion and then you say you dont know right from wrong. So are you religious or not? Just curious
doomswatter says2014-05-27T20:07:51.187
I'm not currently religious. I try to keep an open mind, but I also try to run every belief through the filter of study and logic before I accept it.
steffon66 says2014-05-27T20:48:14.563
Thats good. Buddha said do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after careful observation and analysis when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conductive of the good and benefit of one and all then accept it and live up to it. Im not a buddhist if your wandering i just happen to agree with alot of things that he said.