Do parents have a responsibility to discourage their children from playing with violent toys?

• Parents have a responsibility to discourage their children from playing with violent toys.

Parents should not let their children play with violent toys because it could lead them to develop violent habits. It is easy for kids who play with toys to get confused and start using them as real weapons. To keep our kids safe, violent toys should be banned all together.

• Parents do have a responsibility to discourage their children from playing with violent toys.

Parents do have a responsibility to discourage their children from playing with violent toys.Parents are the first role models that children have and if they don't discourage violence then the children may think that kind of behavior is acceptable or a good way to solve problems when they have conflicts.

• Yes, within reason.

Boys especially are going to want to play with violent toys sometimes because they have to get their aggressions out and they have a lot of energy. They might make a gun out of a tree branch if they have nothing else. However, parents should at least not purchase anything for them more violent than that.

• Preventing Violence Begins at Home

Preventing violence in contemporary society begins at home with parents who teach kindness and respect to their children. Violent toys, mature video games and rated R movies have no place in a 5-year-old's mind. The brain, in its dream state, doesn't differentiate between what's real and what's not. When a child sees a gun in his or her dream, it seems as real as a physical one held by mom or dad.

• Violent Toys Help Children Release Anger

I myself have played violent videogames to relieve of stress and anger. I do think that maybe in a young mind like a 5 year old, guns or military related things should not be used. Like in the 'yes' section of this debate, I do agree that in a child's mind some things that aren't real may seem so. And yes, parents can substitute these anarchic things with stress relieving games, or toys that aren't violent. I also disagree that their emotions should be stifled and bottled up with the prevented act of using stress relievers. I hope that you take my opinion accountable.

• No, violent toys can be good for children

Parents have a responsibility to civilize their children. Children
    must learn which behaviors are acceptable in society, and which are not. Like
    everyone, children have frustrations and feelings of aggression. They must be
    taught to deal with these feelings in acceptable ways, not simply to stifle
    them. So-called violent toys can actually be useful tools for children who are
    learning to manage their impulses. Parents should not forbid them.

Link_of_Hyrule says2014-01-18T00:00:58.963
The question is extremely unclear. What is the age of the child and what is considered a violent toy? Violent video games? If that is the case, it completely depends on how old the child is.