Do parents have the right to raise their children with specific beliefs that go against societal norms (e.g. vandalism, hitting, discriminating, etc)?

• Yes they should

When I have children, I am going to homeschool them through elementary school just so that they do not learn any of that use nice words, do not hit, love all people crap. Violence is the best way to solve a problem. Furthermore, I would teach my children to be as socially and economically conservative as I am. Discrimination often has reason behind it, for example gays are ungodly. When I put them into middle school I would want them to be called to the counselor's office because they offended someone or was being politically incorrect. I want my kids out of the liberal elementary schools and raise them up to be strong conservatives.

• Yes to a certain extent.

Parents have a right to raise their children to be racists, that doesn't make it right but it's not child abuse. As for hitting, that is a different matter, that is a violent act so no that should not be allowed. They are teaching their kids violence. Same goes for vandalism, that is effecting someone's property.

• Society is not always right

Any given society chooses its norms in very arbitrary (read: illogical) ways.

Often the only reason that a given norm exists is because no-one has yet rejected it yet, and this does not mean that that norm is a priori correct or just.

Someone challenging societal norms will at worst, cause us to realise the importance of a righteous societal stance, and at best cause us to re-assess our position in a new light.

TLDR version: if you were transported back to the time of the Roman Empire, would you teach your children that slave ownership was fine?

• It's your kid...

Yes, parents have the right to teach children however they want. This does not mean they should, but it is inappropriate to tell someone how to raise their child. However, if a parents' teaching causes the child to act against societal norms and the child hurts someone, the parent should be held accountable. The child is not responsible for how it is raised. The parent is the one who taught bad behaviors, so they must pay the price.

• Vox populi, vox humbug.

Society is not the standard of morality. Were you to forbid parents to teach their children ideas contrary to culture, you would have been telling parents in Nazi Germany not to teach their children anything contrary to Nazi society. Societies have always gone bad, and the only way anybody has rescued or escaped them is by going against societal norms.

The Romans declared "Vox populi, vox Dei", which meant "The voice of the people is the voice of God."

I think I prefer William Tecumseh Sherman's version.

• They do, but...

If you wanna get technical, then yes. They do.

It won't get their children far in life, but it is a right.

I am not ""for it," but it is a right.

I will let my child have their own religion, I will let them choose if they believe in gay marriage or not (but I will encourage that they do... Love is love!), I will let them choose if they will be omnivore, vegetarian, or vegan, and I will let them choose what sports they play.

But they will have manners. They will have respect. They will not hit, vandalize, discriminate, or steal.

• No, parents have no right to raise their children with beliefs that go against social norms.

I think a parent that teaches a child that it is right to hit, discriminate or vandalize something, should have their children removed from their home. They are teaching their children it is okay to hate. We have enough terrorism going on in today's world. We don't need to raise it in our own backyard.

• No, parents do not have the right to raise their children with a specific set of beliefs that go against societal norms.

Family is the primary agent of socialization. Primary socialization is extremely important in a child's life because it sets the ground work for all future socialization. This is the point in time where a child learns specific values, attitudes, and actions they need to know. If a child saw his or her mother expressing hate towards a minority group, that child may think that this type of behavior is acceptable and could continue to have this opinion. Would you want your child to go out onto the streets and act on these things? Is this acceptable? No, it isn't.

• There's always an alternative

Why should you hit or discriminate your child if you know there's a better way to raise them? Parents don't have the right to raise their children in a way that can damage them permanently. We all know that every children has a different way of dealing discrimination and physical abuse. What if the child thinks of killing himself because of what you did or said? You have killed a person indirectly.

• There's always an alternative

• No way!! Take the children away.

Parents have no right to tell a child what to do. If a parent teaches this type of thing (Which I don't see how you could say this is correct) then you have a right to take the child away. A child should not be ordered around to do bad and violent things or they will follow the example.

Bullish says2013-05-09T21:32:59.307
Parenting laws are very difficult to draw lines on. So I have no opinion as of yet.