Do people worry too much about being politically correct?

• I lost my job because I didn't say the right thing at the right time

I agree wih a previous person your site.
    Many people including the British government seem to be politically scared shitless of Muslims.
    For some strange reason they think themselves special and above the law.
    I am not talking about extreme nutters, just ya average Muslim in the street.
    Apart from my mate YasiYasinWho got beat up buy other Muslims because he had uh white friendlike me

• C c c

H h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h hh h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h

• C c c

• C c c

• You should have your own thoughts.

I am watching big brother at the moment (don't judge me), Winston is being vilified for a a comment he made that he doesn't believe in gay couples adopting children. This is his opinion and he is entitled to it, everyone is acting like they are so offended by this comment. I agree with his comments.If most people were totally honest, no one wants to be bought up by two men or two women, and given a choice i can guarantee most would choose a mum and dad.I have absolutely nothing against who anyone chooses to sleep with, but the needs and wants of a child are totally overlooked by the needs of the adults.

• Nothing is okay to say

This political correctness is honestly very destructive. I think everyone should just say what they feel and have that right. But let us prepare for ourselves for others saying what they want to say about what we have to say cause they have that right as well. It'll be a battle of the wits and smarts.

• Everyone worried about being PC and everyone else labeled a bigot.

American culture has rapidly disintegrated into one where were constantly worried about being politically correct and everyone else is labeled racist or a bigot. Media worsens probems by focusing on heightening racial tensions and blowing up stories between white cops and black criminals where the criminal refused police orders and got shot but there are countless stories of white criminals such as the white 19yo kid who got setup by cops selling weed and tried to escape and got shot and killed by cops but they dont focus on that do they. I would obvioualy not argue police are out to kill any group in particular but when they tell you to do something and youre caught, you listen or get tased, sprayed, or worse... Black lives matter has done nothing but cause chaos and infighting within our country, increase racial tensions and media nonsenseness and political corectnessness, stopping shoppers from buying gifts for their family does nothing to support your "cause". Trump meanwhile benefits from extreme backlash to all this PC going on and is a little scary with some of what he says, the illegal Mexican immigrant crisis needs to be dealt with but we cant label all Muslims, thats not American. This coming from a 20 yo College libertarian according to a political ideolology test.

• Why does it matter

People should focus on more important things. I mean common. I I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I II I I

• "Racism" and "Offensive Language" is Worse Than Murder!

It seems in America, that using "offensive language" is worse than First Degree Murder judging by the lack of support and implementation of Capital Punishment. The Thought Police are indeed here (West Coast) in force.

Despite the always hot topic of abortion, it seems weird that (ex)terminating fetuses is OK but punishing (ANOTHER loaded word BTW) a convicted criminal for a heinous ugly crime is something to have a conscience about.

If I were in ISIS or some form of terrorist, I would capitalize on our overly welcoming attitude towards ANY race, ANY religion except Christianity, ANY nationality except American and our unwillingness to discriminate against anyone (unless they are white Christian males of course)

I am not a left or right or red or blue or Republican or Democrat or Christian. I am not liberal or conservative. I am simply SANE and have COMMON SENSE. And respect the Constitution (OMG!)

Some people these days would deem all this in the left column "hate" speech. Because they are so "tolerant" and "non-judgmental" you see.

• People of low intelligence

I have my life affected by this thing called political correctness. I am not politically correct and I have no intentions of letting the minorities of society, try to change the way I think or act.
    Muslis have imposed on our way of life, too much. It is time for you to stand up and say something, you bunch of slugs.

• The harms of not being politically correct are much greater than the effort expended on being aware, or politically correct.

Being politically correct does not take an extremely large toll on an individual. In fact, the majority of people actually do act politely in the status quo about other cultures. However, if someone hears something that is not politically correct which could potentially be EXTREMELY offensive, the negative impact on them is severe. The ever-so-slight inconvenience of being politically correct can prevent someone from being deeply, emotionally, and systematically oppressed. It is necessary to realize conversations of sensitive subjects are still going to happen, but they will be at a degree where they are tolerant, rather than ignorant.

• I believe it is better to be overly aware of political correctness than not aware at all.

I believe the few times that political correctness has been overdone are much less harmful than the millions of times it has not been used at all.

Posted by: Bratzky
  • Being politically correct is part of showing respect for society and the differences between people.

Everyone has been told that they're being "too politically correct", but they're often just being polite. While in mixed company, it's best not to possibly offend or alienate other people. Not insulting others due to their race, sexuality or heritage is important. A crass joke is occasionally acceptable, but it's possible to make jokes without being derogatory.

Posted by: R4yCher
  • Political correctness, as such, does not require much effort, and shapes our thought and culture in a constructive direction, although it's only a first step.

Political correctness can be understood simply as an application of the idea of courtesy, and as such, seems worth the effort it requires. After all, would we say that most people worry too much about being courteous? Hardly, because our lives work better when we treat each other with respect. Careful use of language isn't enough, by itself, to achieve equality, and an ongoing respect for diversity in our multicultural society. Changes in public policy, in media, and in our lifestyles are needed to make men and women and people of different ethnic backgrounds, religions, and other demographic distinctions more equal. But language shapes the way we look at the world, and is a good everyday step toward a more inclusive community. Policing language can admittedly become obsessive and counterproductive, if it isn't accompanied by humor, goodwill, and a sense of perspective. However, none of these negate the basic value of the PC concept.

Posted by: M4I4cFeIine
  • It seems to me that there are far too few people thinking about being politically correct.

When I hear people like Rush Limbaugh and other conservative talk radio hosts and others, and when I hear those who agree with them, I begin to think that civil discourse is dead in this nation. There is such hostility spouted from the mouths of these people who only want to get people upset enough to continue listening until the next commercial. I wish that people were more civil with each other. There is frankly a place for political correctness; it is not so much believing in a certain thing but at least being kind in one's speech no matter what a person believes in. There is no room for bad-mouthing people on the basis of race, religious tradition, color, sex, orientation, disability, or anything else except one's conduct. It is frankly cruel, lacking in compassion, rude, and in poor taste to do so.

Posted by: SportyHart
  • I do not agree that people worry excessively about being politically correct because we are sliding back into acceptance of various types of off-color humor.

I think that President Obama's recent use of the phrase "whose ass to kick" is representative of a trend in language that is making our society less polite in all areas. While part of me wants to think that our acceptance of racial jokes and assorted "politically incorrect" language is evidence that our society is beyond caring about race, I think that our recent acceptance of crudeness is more a representation of the lowering of language standards across all areas of society.

Posted by: Shim2free
  • Political correctness is an important part of our society.

Political correctness is a measure of the equality in our society. Political correctness is a sign of the recognition of the trials of minorities and helps us understand their plight so that we may be more empathetic to their situation. Political correctness leads the way to societal change. It is important to understand others positions, which helps us change our priorities.

Posted by: R43Shep
  • The majority of people don't worry about being politically correct as they continue to believe perpetuated stereotypes.

Most people would understand that the "N" word is offensive, but making a joke about immigration or portraying Muslims as terrorists might get a laugh out of a good few people. Most people don't know, and don't care that certain things are racist, sexist or homophobic, or just generally politically incorrect. Part of the irony in art and shock humor in TV shows and movies (that often make fun of racism) are often taken literally by people of low intelligence, and that creates even more problems.

Posted by: R053Neddy