Do people worry too much about being politically correct?

• It's Rather Foolish

True, in many situations being mindful of what you say (out of respect for others) is necessary, many individuals take this too far. Personally, restricting free speech (due to political correctness) would have an even more negative impact than using terms that would be deemed derogatory. Excessively worrying about something so trivial is unnecessary.

• Running away from reality

I agree that as members of the global society, it is our job to ensure that we do not, in our speech or through our actions, hurt the feelings of a group of people or certain individuals; I agree that it is a social responsibility to encourage political sensitivity and correctness among others; but when we rename manholes “personal access units” to avoid upsetting women, it is absolute stupidity. Are we not, through aggressive speech codes, legal rulings and never-ending corporate policies, overplaying the whole notion of being “politically correct”? Are we not running away from reality under the banner of political correctness?

• Gone too far

The worry over offending someone or some group occludes our ability to state our opinions and make correct judgements. This results in unfairness in many situations. Choosing or having to include something in favor of the gay, the racial minority, the woman, etc. because we feel its correct is actually just wrong.

• Gone too far

• Political Correctness Hampers Progress

Look, I'm going to say it: The black culture in many urban areas is violent. The black crime rate is substantially greater than white crime rate in every statistic. Even the mention of that *fact* is enough to crucify you for racism. How will this ever change if nobody is willing to step up and say it? The first step to fixing a problem is to admit there is a problem. While some stereotypes are just that, many stereotypes are grounded in truth. If we can't talk about that, then how can we create a dialogue towards fixing those issues?

• Health & safety:

There are many needs of use to apply within the facilities, hotels as such, who are more terrified over a bit of tiny harmless fluff on the floor doing nothing. Then you have a real danger in which the could be a potential fire hazard as such, that the employers will say 'don't bother with that! The bit of harmless fluff doing nothing is more serious than the material that will ignite immediate fire bugs! So I personally think management staff need to look at the real picture of what is going on, for the H&S need to stop being over powering and management stop trying for their extra star.

• Only a Fish can be politically correct

Political correctness is not as heinous a crime as political Neutrality.In my opinion neutrality would equate to spinelessness and cowardice. Coming back to whether people worry too much about being politically correct, its the Gospel Truth that they do.People for obvious reasons fear consequences , backlash from society ,backlash from the so called custodians of lingual eloquence .

• PC is Anti-Free Speech

Political correctness is censorship and goes against everything free speech stands for. Having to talk in a neutered way because of the possibility that someone gets offended? Could you imagine your favorite movies, books, etc. if they were politically correct and went our of their way to not offend? Things would become stale fast.

• Crazy new friends...

I have made a new group of friends that seem to be obsessed with being politically correct... All the time... About everything. I understand that there are things that require a gentle hand, but sometimes you can go so far one direction and instead of being inclusive you are becoming exclusive.

• It ruins things...

I suppose one of the largest areas where being not politically correct is considered taboo is in humor and comedy. Many people argue that there are better jokes to make than racial ones. I want to point out that racial slurs are much different than racial jokes. Lots of people make fun of their own and other cultures. If the jokes aren't offensive and underhanded, they are funny because they often contain bits of truth. In a way, it is a form of embracing part of what makes every individual different - their culture.

Besides this, it is not politically correct to refer to someone as "that Latino man over there" or "the Asian teacher" or "that white woman on TV." I can understand that racial jokes aren't tasteful, but here's where I think it goes too far. When we refer to someone by their skin color or their ethnicity, are we lying? No. As adult human beings, we acknowledge that people are more than what they are on the outside, but ethnic background is still part of their identity. It is what we see, what's wrong with that? Nothing, as long as what we see isn't accompanied by derogatory sentiments.

• I believe it is better to be overly aware of political correctness than not aware at all.

I believe the few times that political correctness has been overdone are much less harmful than the millions of times it has not been used at all.

Posted by: Bratzky
  • Being politically correct is part of showing respect for society and the differences between people.

Everyone has been told that they're being "too politically correct", but they're often just being polite. While in mixed company, it's best not to possibly offend or alienate other people. Not insulting others due to their race, sexuality or heritage is important. A crass joke is occasionally acceptable, but it's possible to make jokes without being derogatory.

Posted by: R4yCher
  • Political correctness, as such, does not require much effort, and shapes our thought and culture in a constructive direction, although it's only a first step.

Political correctness can be understood simply as an application of the idea of courtesy, and as such, seems worth the effort it requires. After all, would we say that most people worry too much about being courteous? Hardly, because our lives work better when we treat each other with respect. Careful use of language isn't enough, by itself, to achieve equality, and an ongoing respect for diversity in our multicultural society. Changes in public policy, in media, and in our lifestyles are needed to make men and women and people of different ethnic backgrounds, religions, and other demographic distinctions more equal. But language shapes the way we look at the world, and is a good everyday step toward a more inclusive community. Policing language can admittedly become obsessive and counterproductive, if it isn't accompanied by humor, goodwill, and a sense of perspective. However, none of these negate the basic value of the PC concept.

Posted by: M4I4cFeIine
  • It seems to me that there are far too few people thinking about being politically correct.

When I hear people like Rush Limbaugh and other conservative talk radio hosts and others, and when I hear those who agree with them, I begin to think that civil discourse is dead in this nation. There is such hostility spouted from the mouths of these people who only want to get people upset enough to continue listening until the next commercial. I wish that people were more civil with each other. There is frankly a place for political correctness; it is not so much believing in a certain thing but at least being kind in one's speech no matter what a person believes in. There is no room for bad-mouthing people on the basis of race, religious tradition, color, sex, orientation, disability, or anything else except one's conduct. It is frankly cruel, lacking in compassion, rude, and in poor taste to do so.

Posted by: SportyHart
  • I do not agree that people worry excessively about being politically correct because we are sliding back into acceptance of various types of off-color humor.

I think that President Obama's recent use of the phrase "whose ass to kick" is representative of a trend in language that is making our society less polite in all areas. While part of me wants to think that our acceptance of racial jokes and assorted "politically incorrect" language is evidence that our society is beyond caring about race, I think that our recent acceptance of crudeness is more a representation of the lowering of language standards across all areas of society.

Posted by: Shim2free
  • Political correctness is an important part of our society.

Political correctness is a measure of the equality in our society. Political correctness is a sign of the recognition of the trials of minorities and helps us understand their plight so that we may be more empathetic to their situation. Political correctness leads the way to societal change. It is important to understand others positions, which helps us change our priorities.

Posted by: R43Shep
  • The majority of people don't worry about being politically correct as they continue to believe perpetuated stereotypes.

Most people would understand that the "N" word is offensive, but making a joke about immigration or portraying Muslims as terrorists might get a laugh out of a good few people. Most people don't know, and don't care that certain things are racist, sexist or homophobic, or just generally politically incorrect. Part of the irony in art and shock humor in TV shows and movies (that often make fun of racism) are often taken literally by people of low intelligence, and that creates even more problems.

Posted by: R053Neddy

Research this topic: Barack Obama