Do people worry too much about being politically correct?

• It distracts from and Impedes the strengthening of the whole.

Too many people are concerned with feelings. Sometimes, feelings need to be hurt, and the ugly reality shoved in the face. They're words. Those who can't handle them are weak, and a group is only as strong as its weakest member. Bullying weeds out the unfit. Verbal slander gives opportunity to rise above it. These things are necessary, because without challenge there is no progress. Adversity breeds excellence.

• The great stifle

We are creating a society where freedom is being stifled to such a degree that careers are being destroyed for choices made in the past. People should have all viewpoints and allowed to make their own choices. As a society we can't dictate freedom of thought. Have we not evolved enough to trust and respect each other even if we differ in opinions?

• America has taken political correctness and blown it out of proportion

I feel that in america there is so much political correctness and overanalyization of every single action that even the smallest of actions are blown up and deamed politically incorrect. I feel that people use this to there advantage in every given situation. This leads to a civilization where everyone is terrified of there actions being misinterpreted . If people didn't take offense to every tiny situation and dont bother to over analyze it the world would be much better. A system with such extreme political correctness and every tiny action being labelled as racist, sexist etc simply blows tiny actions out of proportion. Both minorities and majorities begin to abuse these actions and try to cause an issue. If the world could get over this pettiness it would be a better place

• Yes, Constantly. It is difficult to be direct.

I like to be direct with people and get to the bottom line and deal with the issues. I am not having the conversations to offend people of over compensate people for their behavior or actions. I just need to commend the right people at the right time and place and not have it be seen as an insult to others in a group situation when that is not the case. It is not my job to praise 10 people in a group when I want to praise one, just as it is not my job to critique 10 when perhaps I want to critique one. It works both ways. I shouldn't have to hold my tongue either.

• Consciously policing your mind (and others) doesn't address prejudice issues.

Racism and prejudice are bad, but so is restricting yourself in everything you say. I'm not promoting hate speeches here, I just don't believe that people should be expected bend over backwards to cater to different cultures. The acceptance that we're all different, and the acknowledgement that we can never keep up with all ins and outs of each others cultures is part of acceptance and a healthy diverse community.

Stern, stiff, and restricted conversations should not be where a diverse future is headed.

• It's Rather Foolish

True, in many situations being mindful of what you say (out of respect for others) is necessary, many individuals take this too far. Personally, restricting free speech (due to political correctness) would have an even more negative impact than using terms that would be deemed derogatory. Excessively worrying about something so trivial is unnecessary.

• Running away from reality

I agree that as members of the global society, it is our job to ensure that we do not, in our speech or through our actions, hurt the feelings of a group of people or certain individuals; I agree that it is a social responsibility to encourage political sensitivity and correctness among others; but when we rename manholes “personal access units” to avoid upsetting women, it is absolute stupidity. Are we not, through aggressive speech codes, legal rulings and never-ending corporate policies, overplaying the whole notion of being “politically correct”? Are we not running away from reality under the banner of political correctness?

• Gone too far

The worry over offending someone or some group occludes our ability to state our opinions and make correct judgements. This results in unfairness in many situations. Choosing or having to include something in favor of the gay, the racial minority, the woman, etc. because we feel its correct is actually just wrong.

• Gone too far

• Political Correctness Hampers Progress

Look, I'm going to say it: The black culture in many urban areas is violent. The black crime rate is substantially greater than white crime rate in every statistic. Even the mention of that *fact* is enough to crucify you for racism. How will this ever change if nobody is willing to step up and say it? The first step to fixing a problem is to admit there is a problem. While some stereotypes are just that, many stereotypes are grounded in truth. If we can't talk about that, then how can we create a dialogue towards fixing those issues?

• I believe it is better to be overly aware of political correctness than not aware at all.

I believe the few times that political correctness has been overdone are much less harmful than the millions of times it has not been used at all.

Posted by: Bratzky
  • Being politically correct is part of showing respect for society and the differences between people.

Everyone has been told that they're being "too politically correct", but they're often just being polite. While in mixed company, it's best not to possibly offend or alienate other people. Not insulting others due to their race, sexuality or heritage is important. A crass joke is occasionally acceptable, but it's possible to make jokes without being derogatory.

Posted by: R4yCher
  • Political correctness, as such, does not require much effort, and shapes our thought and culture in a constructive direction, although it's only a first step.

Political correctness can be understood simply as an application of the idea of courtesy, and as such, seems worth the effort it requires. After all, would we say that most people worry too much about being courteous? Hardly, because our lives work better when we treat each other with respect. Careful use of language isn't enough, by itself, to achieve equality, and an ongoing respect for diversity in our multicultural society. Changes in public policy, in media, and in our lifestyles are needed to make men and women and people of different ethnic backgrounds, religions, and other demographic distinctions more equal. But language shapes the way we look at the world, and is a good everyday step toward a more inclusive community. Policing language can admittedly become obsessive and counterproductive, if it isn't accompanied by humor, goodwill, and a sense of perspective. However, none of these negate the basic value of the PC concept.

Posted by: M4I4cFeIine
  • It seems to me that there are far too few people thinking about being politically correct.

When I hear people like Rush Limbaugh and other conservative talk radio hosts and others, and when I hear those who agree with them, I begin to think that civil discourse is dead in this nation. There is such hostility spouted from the mouths of these people who only want to get people upset enough to continue listening until the next commercial. I wish that people were more civil with each other. There is frankly a place for political correctness; it is not so much believing in a certain thing but at least being kind in one's speech no matter what a person believes in. There is no room for bad-mouthing people on the basis of race, religious tradition, color, sex, orientation, disability, or anything else except one's conduct. It is frankly cruel, lacking in compassion, rude, and in poor taste to do so.

Posted by: SportyHart
  • I do not agree that people worry excessively about being politically correct because we are sliding back into acceptance of various types of off-color humor.

I think that President Obama's recent use of the phrase "whose ass to kick" is representative of a trend in language that is making our society less polite in all areas. While part of me wants to think that our acceptance of racial jokes and assorted "politically incorrect" language is evidence that our society is beyond caring about race, I think that our recent acceptance of crudeness is more a representation of the lowering of language standards across all areas of society.

Posted by: Shim2free
  • Political correctness is an important part of our society.

Political correctness is a measure of the equality in our society. Political correctness is a sign of the recognition of the trials of minorities and helps us understand their plight so that we may be more empathetic to their situation. Political correctness leads the way to societal change. It is important to understand others positions, which helps us change our priorities.

Posted by: R43Shep
  • The majority of people don't worry about being politically correct as they continue to believe perpetuated stereotypes.

Most people would understand that the "N" word is offensive, but making a joke about immigration or portraying Muslims as terrorists might get a laugh out of a good few people. Most people don't know, and don't care that certain things are racist, sexist or homophobic, or just generally politically incorrect. Part of the irony in art and shock humor in TV shows and movies (that often make fun of racism) are often taken literally by people of low intelligence, and that creates even more problems.

Posted by: R053Neddy