Do politicians that espouse "rape is legal" or "girls rape easy" influence the actions of teen boys and their feelings about girls at Steubenville?

Asked by: rruthbj
  • Yes they do.

I think that politicians in this country need to realize that what they say on the air and in the media goes beyond just what they think, and that their words have consequences. The comments such as those listed in the question will indeed affect men and boys around the USA.

• Rape is a touchy subject

Young people tend to follow what is said by people they admire. Politicians are often in the public eye, and since they work as our representatives in government, we tend to look up to them. If one of these politicians were to say something about rape in this sort of way, it's only natural that others would agree with these statements and even use them to justify their disgusting behavior.

• Impressionable young people.

Politicians need to think before they start saying anything like "rape is legal" or "girls rape easy." Young, impressionable boys will think that rape is okay. Rape is never okay. Rape is not two young kids consenting to having sex. One person is not willing while the other forces it upon the victim. This is never okay and although I could understand why some may say that girls are easier to rape than boys, since men are physically stronger than men, the opposite happens as well. There are many cases of girls raping boys. It goes both ways.

• Yes, I think that the politicians should be more careful what they say.

If the people your Mom and Dad look up to think that some girls are easy to rape or that rape is not rape sometimes or sometimes it is honest rape, will young men with lots of hormones then be able to rationalize rape? I believe that is a very real danger. Grown men should try to think before they talk. Especially when impressionable young people are present. No politician should be able with a straight face, say that rape is anything other then a crime. Otherwise, it would be easy for otherwise fine young people to not only rape someone but videotape it and show it to a town. Politician censor thyself.

• I say no because they don't listen to politicians.

I think that people need to realize that when politicians say such stupid things, we are better off ignoring them and assuming that they are idiots. I don't think their words carry very far in the mind of teenage boys, because teen boys don't care much about politics these days.