Do pregnant workers need additional protection from workplace discrimination in the United States?

• Pregnancy is a very specific type of medical condition that deserves special treatment.

Pregnant women are individuals with a very specific type of condition, and as such, their needs are different from others. It is not appropriate to discriminate against any woman on the basis of pregnancy. Because this situation involves an unborn baby (and not just the woman), special consideration should be applied.

Posted by: LivingJimmy
  • Pregnant workers do need additional protection from workplace discrimination, as they need help the most during their pregnancy.

Pregnant workers do need additional protection from workplace discrimination. Employers try to get rid of such workers during the time when they need money the most.

Posted by: PaltryLyndon99
  • I think pregnant workers should have additional protection from workplace discrimination, since there are a lot of stigmas surrounding the capabilities of pregnant women.

Because there are so many negative stereotypes about both the mental and physical stability of pregnant women, I do think some people will subconsciously discriminate against them in the workplace, making additional protection necessary.

Posted by: ToughEfrain26
  • Unfortunately, there is still discrimination against pregnant workers in these "modern" times, and I know women who have been discriminated recently.

My own daughter has felt discriminated against even wanting to get pregnant. Other women where she works have warned her that the bosses won't be very happy with her, if she became pregnant at this time, when she has
    only been working at her job 7 months. For many women in the USA, if you become pregnant, you still can be looked at as a woman that is not serious about your career, and that having a baby will be a problem too, for your job. It's better than it was when I had my daughter over 20 years ago, but the USA still has a ways to go in accepting pregnant women. I have talked with my daughter a lot on this subject. She would like to start a family now, but feels that, for her career, it would not be a good time. That is not right.

Posted by: deadlyzoqe
  • Yes, pregnant workers need additional protection from workplace discrimination in the United States, because women are already so far behind in workforce equality.

It is a documented fact that women are always trying to break through the glass ceiling. Studies show they significantly earn lower salaries than men, for doing the same work. Since women are already at this disadvantage, it seems only natural to take measures to protect them from further discrimination in the workplace, based on pregnancy. Women should receive extensive maternity leave and accommodations to take care of their children when they return to work. They shouldn't have to fear losing their jobs or pay cuts, because they decide to become mothers.

Posted by: WardGrad
  • Yes, I agree that pregnant workers need additional protection from workplace discrimination because, in many fields a woman may work in, she can not do her job if she is pregnant.

Pregnant women need more protection from workplace discrimination, because the situation is often abused in the employer's favor. An aviation mechanic, if pregnant can not perform hardly any aspects of her job without serious risk to her child's health. They are often relegated to desk jobs, with reduced hours and pay. Many industries are like this, and women need more protection against pregnancy seriously disrupting their career path due to discrimination.

Posted by: HazelB
  • Legislation singling out pregnant workers may have discriminatory effects against women by itself and appears redundant.

Discrimination against pregnant workers is obviously problematic and it is a form of discrimination against women. Discrimination against women in the workplace is already prohibited by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Legislation that singles out women based on their reproductive capacity tends could be used to exclude women from various career opportunities on the basis of an alleged fragility or presumed competing domestic priorities. In our past public discourse the identification of femaleness with parenting has restricted the liberty of women to decide on their own life and to apply their talents freely in the marketplace and in public life.

Posted by: M4I4cFeIine
  • Pregnant workers still face discrimination and resentment in the workplace.

Even in the seemingly more progressive modern times, workplaces still discriminate against pregnant workers. Partially fueled by the resentment of the additional health concerns, time off, and extended leave of pregnant workers, many workplaces unduly discriminate against them. Pregnant workers are likely to face a backlash from co-workers and superiors, as well as threats to their job security. Additional protections are still required to make certain that these workers are safe from workplace discrimination.

Posted by: N3r0nKrooI
  • I think pregnant workers are discriminated against just like any race or religion.

I think pregnant workers are discriminated against and that's why they need additional protection. Being pregnant is natural and the workplace shouldn't treat you any differently than before. Some employers view pregnancy as a burden to someone's work performance and can make up excuses to fire her.

Posted by: AllisonT
  • Pregnant workers do not need any additional stress, and should be protected against workplace discrimination in any form.

Pregnant workers in the U. S. and around the world should receive maximum protection against pregnancy discrimination in the workplace. As being pregnant isn't already stressful enough for a woman, she should not have the added stress or burden of worrying about keeping her job during or after pregnancy.

Posted by: Quibarce
  • Pregnant workers do not need additional protections from discrimination in the US, as they are already given special privileges.

Pregnant workers are already an extreme cost to a business, as their position needs to be filled for their maternity leave. Their job is already protected upon their return from maternity leave, and they are afforded the ability to take family leave after their standard maternity leave. There are presently enough costs to a business, and there should not be any additional demands placed on the them.

Posted by: OddFrancesco97
  • I believe that the vast majority of work places have fair policies in place for pregnant workers.

Many work places have specific policies and procedures to adhere to when an employee is pregnant. I am sure some of these regulations are required by the government, but I have not heard of many problems in this area. I believe the amount of care they have is sufficient. If I were to hear of many cases where women who were pregnant were not given enough time, then the issue should be addressed. However, as far as I know, this is not really a problem.

Posted by: DizzyCasey
  • No, companies should be able to have the right to choose against hiring a pregnant women if they want; they can not be expected to do their job for long and then expect a long paid vacation for the delivery and recovery.

Pregnant workers already have several benefits to protect them once they are already hired, paid leave that no other worker can get amongst other things. While there may be some discrimination against hiring a women who is already pregnant, that should be the company's right. They should not be forced to hire, train and pay for a worker from whom they will not be able to get work in the near future.

Posted by: H_Baird