• My Personal Experience (featuring two arguments, first just kind of blasts the principle behind school in general; however, both relate to prompt)

Nobody has used personal experience as part of their argument, so I guess I'll do it right here.

I'm currently a high school student and everything I learn in my core classes flies out of my head. I do well in school, take AP classes and make straight A's, but it's only because I know what teachers want to see in assignments. Nothing I do in my schoolwork is the result of intrinsic motivation, I only do well in school so I can get into a decent college, where there's more studying (ugh). I'm motivated to work out and play matches so I can get better at my tennis game (with the help of my mom). When I'm sitting in my graphic design/animation class, you bet I'm motivated to actually do well on the assignment, because it's something I actually enjoy (even though I'm technically in school). It might even be something I pursue in college, who knows. I'm even motivated when I do maintenance work at my local racquet club, and some of the work includes cleaning bathrooms at nights! Why am I motivated to do all these things? Because I'm NOT FORCED to do any of it, I CHOSE to do each of these things! Why would you FORCE a student to learn which president was responsible for buying the Louisiana Territory? If he or she doesn't care, then so be it! Don't let that be the determining factor for whether that kid gets into a decent college and lands a successful job. That's ridiculous! And if that kid doesn't come to the history class (where they won't remember anything anyways), don't arrest them for it or let that prevent them from graduating! Besides, who came up with the idea that course credits, which are essentially numbers on a piece of paper, determine you to be ready for the real world? High school students need to learn how to be adults, and you don't do that by giving them a concrete schedule to follow for half of their childhood.

Argument two, I guess:

One of the major downsides of schools is their suppression of creativity, something that gives birth to individuality. From individuality comes a sense of knowing who you are and what you really enjoy in life. When kids don't have this essential trait, they're less likely to have a sense of where they're going in life. It disappoints me how so many of my peers participate in various clubs/extracurricular activities just so they have more badges to flash on their college apps. I'm just like these students in terms of numbers of "badges", but everything on my college app is something I enjoy doing, unlike some people I know. I'm not saying school is a bad thing. Some people genuinely enjoy studying, and kudos to them, because they'll likely be more successful financially than me. But for the many who find the classroom environment stifling, a solution needs to be found to make public education worthwhile.

• There's Definitely Some Restriction

Even though public schools allow their students to wear practically whatever they want, they're still promoting a conforming attitude within their education systems. For instance, students believe that those with the highest test score and GPAs will be admitted into the most prestigious position that life has to offer, and they rightly should since it's quite apparent in recent academic trends. Indeed, the academics are technically the "hardworking" group to many, but there are also those who exert the same amount of effort yet yield lower results. It's not their fault that they're not as capable at scoring highly on an exam. It's not their fault that they cannot keep up with the material. Yet the system has not been changed to allow all students to receive an equal opportunity. Since the playing field is unbalanced, students at the lower end of the academic spectra are unincentivied to succeed in classes since they're convinced that all the effort that could be applied would not even be effective. Therefore, the academic stage doesn't offer less academically gifted students an opportunity to fully develop and explore their capabilities and passions. Now indeed there are those who believe public schools offer an equal opportunity for all its student, and they have a good reason to believe so in a democratically influenced society. These people need to acknowledge that standardized tests are tipping the balance in academia and there isn't the proclaimed "equality."

• Yes, a lot.

I understand on a thinking of public vs private, public schooling is less so. But both are slowly turning us into robots. My OPINION is that if the school system had its way, students would be made to do everything by the book, crossing every "T" and dotting every "I" as precisely as possible, and then we go on to do very basic and boring jobs, that divides the people into a strict and definite line of high class and low class, with no opportunity to make enough money to become high class citizens. This is the future we are heading for, the American Middle Class is dissolving. Schools are slowly chipping away at our personalities, and one day they may just do so. Hey schools, nobody's perfect.

• Grades on Thought

I am a student in Illinois and we have undergone common core standards and a bunch of curriculum changes and I am starting to notice more and more how possessive the school is becoming with our thoughts... We can no longer do things in a preferred manner like in the past... In math we were force to use over 5 different strategies for multiplication in grade school rather then allowing us to use a singular effective method for work or mental math... In art we can longer use our own techniques no matter how well the impact the piece because we are graded on how well we can copy the curriculum's standards... We are all forced to perceive things the same way to allow for common understandings, as a whole, of a given situation when a person might have an easier way of going about thinking or problem solving their own way...

• The child who survived

I see the point of not hindering individuality in dress codes as opposed to uniforms, but what about the education itself? The public education system does offer programs to express individuality, like arts and music, but these are also the programs that recieve the least funding and are the first to be cut entierly. Even if the program does still exist, the ideas and sterotypes on what is "socially acceptable" or "cool" have been drilled into students heads for as long as they can remember. These ideas fuel bullying of those who do try to express themselves as an individual in a field that they love, making the students who are being bullied not want to be themselves anymore.
    Creativity is being taken out of pretty much every ciriculum as well. There are no opportunities for creativity in math or science or history because they are all facts that cannot be toyed with in a creative manner. Essays have strict promts, 2+2 always equals 4, and the Declatation of Independence will always have been signed in 1776. Creativity is something that if you don't use it, you lose it.
    The new "common core" education programs discourage individuality by placing all students at the same level, even though some are in a lower lever and some are in a high level of understanding. It's all conformity to what the officials see as the correct way, and it is a horrible thing to try and survive, because it is so pressured on since the very beginning of 12 years in public school.

• Of course they do.

Public schools educate and perpetuate on the fundamentals of cooperation, classifications, and selfless interests. They promote group activities by encouraging you to join clubs and such. They don't want you to have your own agenda. That's ridiculous. They want you to work together, integrate ideas, and create as a whole. In my opinion, if they really wanted individuality in the schools, they would teach necessary information and not restrict children based on simplistic classifications, advocate individual interest, and serve as protection for each child's aspirations and imagination instead of allowing judgement and collectivism to thrive as the assassins of true genius. Yes, it's just as worse in private schools; however, this is not an excuse as it is also prevalent in public schools. Equally so, I would say.

• While schools do some things well, nurturing individuality - especially creativity - remains impeded by innumerable policies.

Let's look at a few:
    - Dress codes: Many schools, but not all, require children to obey a rigorous dress code with little or no input from the students, which serves only to create carbon copies of the all-too-typical "no questions asked" busy bee worker stereotype.
    - Collective classes and learning environments: Clumping students into, often times tight, large, classrooms inhibits teaching on a more personal level that could be accomplished with smaller class sizes.
    - Organizing children by grade level: Schools group children based on grade as if their date of manufacture was the most important characteristic of the people they are nurturing. Barely being exposed to people of different ages throughout the school years does little to improve students' ability to communicate with or learn from other people.
    - Requiring core content: When I mention this, I am referring strictly to in the later grade levels. Once everyone can read and write, do at least basic level arithmetic, have a sound understanding of the world they live in, and can communicate effectively, there is no reason to press the issue. Student's should be allowed to explore their own talents at their own pace and discover the talents they posses so they can contribute more effectively and completely to the human existence.
    - Assigning tasks with strict guidelines: Teachers, that coincidentally have been taught to do this, who give assignments (excluding those cases which are necessary, such as in math or in some instances history) often times create "right or wrong" scenarios. In the real world there are numerous solutions to any one problem, and questions that arise concerning the interpretation of literary works or philosophical arguments have very few "wrong" answers, if you would call them that, and many correct ones, which are usually disregarded.

*There are many other policies, and instances of policies being abused, that I've not mentioned. These were simply the obvious ones that came to mind while I was typing.

I am well aware of the reasons these policies were implemented in the first place, but most of them are now outdated and fail to create well rounded, cultural human beings. I see this as an issue, and I see that creating environments to nurture individuality is the solution.

• No they don't

No, I would have to strongly disagree that public schools hinder individuality. Public schools promote individuality through not enforcing school uniforms and encouraging kids to try different clubs and get involved with something at school. Public schools, ultimately, promote diversity, which of course fosters individuality, unlike some other private schools.

• Public Schools Do Not Hinder Individuality

Public schools do not care what students wear or do as long as students and their clothing are safe and respectful, which make sense. True, schools have a dress code, but for a good cause. It is inappropriate for girls to show too much skin or for boys to sag their pants so their boxers/underwear shows. Also, students must be respectful and avoid foul language as it is good manners.

• I don't think so.

Public schools might hinder individuality to an extent. Students are generally told not to wear things that could be considered offensive to other students, but this is for good reason. I think that private schools hinder individuality more. They typically have uniforms which don't allow students to dress the way that they want. They generally have more rigid rules as well.

• No, they don't.

If anything, it is private schools which hinder individuality. While public schools have a dress code, most of them lack an actual school uniform (the word uniform itself stating conformity). There are more realistic rules in public school which mimic basic social law of the outside world as opposed to the faction-specific nature of private school laws.

• No, they don't.