• Massachusetts schools indoctrinate their students.

The Definition of indoctrination: To teach a person or group to accept a set of beliefs uncritically. In the schools my kids go to, they promote multiculturalism very, very often. When it is raised... In class or in books or video, it is always with a favorable bias. Never do they discuss potential problems or downside risks. An opinion in favor of, or against, multiculturalism is an opinion, not a fact. As such, both sides of the issue need to be presented for it to not be considered indoctrination.

• Not much rational thought process going on

They regurgitate what they were taught. They are not taught rational though, they are taught what to think not how to think. Public schools are also a place where the kids are told what they can and cannot wear, what shots they have to have. It would be much more beneficial if kids were allowed to be kids and not told to sit down and shut up while a teacher drones on about topics most kids do not care about all day long.

• They absolutely do

People naturally assume that the public school system is trying to do what's best of the children. The fact of the matter is that these institutions have nothing to do with education. They are set up by people who, like all other people, have their own personal agendas. The public school's true purpose is to put certain messages into the children's heads so they'll be more obedient of the government when they get older.
    Consider the 'grade' system. You start off in first grade, where you're placed not by academic ability, nor by willingness to learn, but by age. The reason for this is very simple. Most children already think of adults as if they're their superiors, and now they'll associate their position in the grade system with superiority. Obviously, that's nonsense. A kid in the 5th grade may very well have less overall academic ability then a kid in the 2nd grade. Moreover, education isn't something that can be ranked. The kind of education that tends to be more valuable later on in life is your specialization, not the sheer quantity of raw general knowledge.
    Next, consider the way a classroom is structured. The teacher is in charge. The students are to listen to the teacher. This is most peculiar as well. After all, the teacher is a hired employee, who is in fact working for the students. If anything, the teacher should be listening to the concerns of the students, not the other way around. The reason the classroom setting is set up in this way is clear. The students learn at an early age to respect authority figures, so later on, they obey the government.

• Just observe and use reasoning to justify this situation and you will find out that school indeed is indoctrination

Simple,if you use reasoning then you will see that the school will tell children what to think and how to behave like.The school system is controlling children to behave accordingly in a biased way.That is indoctrination right there.Society reflects how the majority thinks and many of us behave like how the school had taught us.So that means that the school propaganda is ultimately bad.

• The evidence is there.

Simple,if you use reasoning then you will see that the school will tell children what to think and how to behave like.The school system is controlling children to behave accordingly in a biased way.That is indoctrination right there.Society reflects how the majority thinks and many of us behave like how the school have taught us.So that means that the school propaganda is ultimately bad.

• It's difficult to say but overall yes

When teaching about religion teachers must walk a very fine line. All it takes is one mistake for educating to turn into indoctrinating. I'm sure in all these cases indoctrination wasn't the intent however the teachers failed to walk that fine line and it became indoctrination. Teachers should be educated on how to teach religion

• Yes, school is an indoctrination hub - lined with the poison of common-core or conventional curriculum.

Schools subjects are often not about looking at the bigger picture, but instead support analysis within a given set of parameters, i.e. connecting the dots between two novels or sources within a stringently controlled subject, this develops focus on the microscopic topics, and dismisses more pertinent things like freedoms, liberties, life skills and generates someone to be dependent on the government.
    School teaches that conformity gets us what we want, that submissiveness to an authority figure is the normality; in most schools you have to ask to go to the toilet. School is about acclimatizing the person to the 9-5 working lifestyle and teaching that there can be nothing else, it is heavily oriented around the incentive-reward system that is used so often to control, grades are what we all chase after. We never chase after spiritual or personal development goals now. It often promotes government agendas such as multiculturalism, political correctness and is swayed tremendously towards blind liberalism without really looking into alternative viewpoints.

To pass an exam you must follow set guidelines and rules, you have to express yourself in structural rigidity, to throw away your creativity and bow down to logical approaches. School prioritizes memory over intellect; branding those who fill their ideal 'repeater/parrot' role as more 'intelligent' than someone who may express their intellect in different ways.

• More so now then ever before.

My Daughter (white) was told by her (black) teacher that she has never suffered because she is white. I wish this wasn't true, and I am sure this is a very isolated event. Before I go to work today I will talk to the teacher with the principle present. I will not have my daughter learning "white shame" from some left wing wack job.

• I am a high school student in Massachusetts

I am a sophomore that goes to a high school in Massachusetts. Since the eighth grade, I have started to become aware of my indoctrination. I could see it around me, my peers and I were being force fed information, and told to regurgitate it on a test over and over again. This information, mind you, was completely irrelevant to the career that I wish to persue, and that my peers wished to persue as well. We were not taught to be curious. We were taught to digest any and all information given to us, and dump it out onto a test. At this point, I have stopped caring about homework assignments, tests and quizzes. I have been spending my time studying and learning about something that I would like to earn a living doing. That happens to be music for me. People all the time ask me: "How did you get so good at guitar and music theory?" I don't tell them the truth that I wish I could. I wish to tell them: "I got this good at music by ignoring what society expects you to learn and to focus on what's important to you." This would scare some people. I'll tell you why. Because they have been indoctrinated.

• I am a high school student in Massachusetts.

• There is a difference between Indoctrination and Socialization

So to quote from my college textbook, one of the function of education is socialization: "The general process of social learning whereby the child learns the many things necessary to become a well-functioning and acceptable member of a particular social environment” (Ryan and Cooper - Those Who Can, Teach, edition 13). Yes, some indoctrination does occur but it is all subjective. Some form of socialization is UNAVOIDABLE. Plus this website DID NOT define indoctrination. If we are to have a productive debate on the topic, that would be nice.

Basically, what I am saying is that some model of common courtesy and professionalism is absolutely necessary for job interviews and building professional relationships. School can be an appropriate facilitator for such purposes.