Do realistic video games like GTA, Saints row ect. Have an effect on children?

Asked by: Iphoenmastr
  • Of course they do

Its proven that kids that play the games have worse grades than the kids who don't. I mean what I'm trying to say is that the company is trying to make the kid want to play the game more often which lessens the want to do homework or schoolwork. That's all.

• No They Do Not.

The Only People That Have The Right To Voice Their Opinion On This Matter Are People That Play Video Games, Because Most Non-Gamers Do Not aknow What They Are Talking About. Most Children & Teen Play Violent Video Games, But They Never Go Out Committing Violent Acts, Crimes, Or Copy What They See Or Do In A Video Game. You Can't Blame A Weapon, Video Game, Or Any Other Artificial Object For Someone's Actions. Facts About Video Games, & Gamers:
    1) Most Gamers Have Better Vision Then Non-Gamers. 2) Gamers Have Better Hand Eye Coordination Then Non-Gamers. 3) Video Games Improve Social Skills & Problem Solving Skills 4) Most Gamers Have A Better Attention Span & Better Attention To Detail, Then Non-Gamers. 5) Video Games Can Make You Smarter. 6) Between 90% & 97 % Of Teens & Children Play Violent Video Games.
    7) Video Games Release Negative Emotions, & Help Most People With Mental Disorders (Like Autism, Depressive Disorders, Bipolar Disorders, ADD/ADHD, Conduct Disorder, Anxiety Disorders, OCD, & Oppositional Defiant Disorder Just to Name A Few). 8) There Is No Evidence Linking Video Games To Real Life Violence. 9) If Violent Video Games Caused Actual Violence Then I Would Be In Prison By Now For Murder. 10) Just Like Guns, Knives, & Other Weapons Video Games Do Not Cause/Inspire People To Be Criminals, Terrorist, Or Anything Else (Video Games Do Not Lead To Or Cause Real Life Violence). 11) Video Games (Especially Violent Video Games) Actually Decrease Real Life Violence. 12) Some Violent Video Games Can Be Used As Educational Tools That Can Teach People History In A Very Fun Way. 13) Just Like Guns, Knives, & Other Weapons Video Games Are Not The Problem When It Comes To People Committing Crimes, Or Terrorist Acts (If You Commit A Crime Or A Terrorist Act, Then You're To Blame. If You Commit A Crime, Or Terrorist Act An Inanimate Object, A Group, & Another Person Are Not To Blame It All Falls On You). 14) You People That Think Video Games Lead To Real Life Violence Or Cause/Inspire People To Be Who They Are Then You Know Nothing About Video Games Or Gamers, & You're A Bunch Of Fucking Retards. 15) I Have Been Playing Both Violent & Non-Violent Video Games Since I Was 5 Years Old (1997), & I Still Have Yet To Murder, Or Harm Another Person In Any Way. 16) If Video Games Caused/Inspired People To Be Who They Are, To be Criminals, Or To be Terrorist Then All Video Gamers Would Follow The Footsteps Of What They Do Or See In A Video Game. 17) After Violent Video Game Sells Went Up In The 90s With The First PlayStation (PSX, PS1, Or PlayStation One) Real Life Violence Actually Went Down Drastically. 18) Video Games Have Been Proven To Slow Down Mental Aging, & Improves Memory. 19) Video Gamers Are Better With Instructions. 20) Video Games Improve Vision & Help People With Dyslexia.

• Non applicable discussion

Video games if anything provide a learning experience for developing minds. They use realistic instances and real-world (in some cases) realities. It's those who oppose video games against those considered (underage) who label video games such as the mentioned above its bad name. If you are coming from the developers perspective they would say yes there is an effect but to a degree in which brings satisfaction. If the above arguments states the impact is negative it's simply not true, positively it increases knowledge and/or know how.

• So fantasy games with crappy graphics or pixel games aren't addictive.

Ok lol, that's funny.
    No I just mean that the title of this opinion doesn't make sense. I also have a lot of other arguments why it isn't addictive, or might be but it depends on the kids and their parents, and not a video game. It could as well be a sport or anything else that keeps you from learning.
    It doesn't have an effect on children.
    A lot of people I know who play violent 'realistic' know that it isn't realistic at ALL. They are all really soft people who just do it for fun, they'd never do it themselves.
    When children who tend to be violent play games like this, it actually keeps them from doing it in real life.
    Oh I can keep going on about this but I gotta go, bye.

• "Realistic"? Oh yes, I use supper powers to leap through the sky all of the time!

That poor word choice aside, they most certainly do not. It's actually proven that video games are helpful stress delivers for more introverted children. Yes, the mentioned games may have sex and violence, but only for humor. Children should be allowed to their own deductions on what they wish to be exposed to. If a parent is worried they can calmly explain to their kids that no, dump trucks don't shoot rockets, but there is no child out there who believes that behavior in the games can be taken into reality. It is far more likely that children with violent tendencies chose to play violent games than that violent games caused children to develop violent tendencies.
    Also, the "fact" in the opposing argument stating that children playing these games have overall worse grades should be cited, because I stay up on my computer a fair chunk of my life and I've maintained a 3.5 to 4.0 all of my life.

• No They Don't.

It's not the games. It's the parents on how they treat and discipline their kids. I have played them for years. And I'm in the group of the best kids in my class. And on the game I shoot tons of people. And I laugh my @## off when I do it. And if I get pissed off on the game I kill my guy. It's not like I'm going to kill my self in real life. I won't cause I know I won't get my life back from myself killing myself. Like come on, common since people. My mom has taught me others ways. I plan on going in to service after high school. I play football, i don't kill people. My mom pushed me to do great things. Not steal cars. Time to re-think a little.