Do schools have the right to search students' lockers?

• They have the right and the duty to stop illegal drugs from getting into the schools.

Not only should all lockers be searched, but all student's bags.
    ==
    And, mandatory drug testing of all students at least quarterly using hair samples, which can't be beat. If the hair is tested, all the illegal drug users would be caught and put into therapy. Second offenders would be kicked out until they test negative for 6 months.
    ==
    The good students need a break from the drug and gang punks that are destroying our high schools and grade school.

• Yes they can

100,000 students bring guns to schools and 260 teachers are physically assaulted every day in America. Often parents are unaware of their children doing it. We could reduce these numbers by having school administrators conduct locker searches, it is valid in cases of reasonable suspicion of possession of weapons and the school has prior rights to lockers since those are part of the school's property and were only lent to students.

• Of Course they do!

After all, it is the school's locker. i am doing a debate on this at school and if you look at the statistics, 40 students get shot or killed by fire arms each day. Fourty. i personally would rather have my principal see who i like than get shot by someone because the principal didn't check their locker.

• No Expectation of Privacy

Do you own the locker?

Do you pay for the locker directly?

Are you the only one with a key or the combination?

If you answered yes for all those questions, then you have an expectation of privacy. If you didn't, then the locker is not your property. It is the property of the state, and your use is contingent on search. Basically, if you don't want your locker searched, don't use it.

• I was in school not long ago...

If there is ONE truth, it's that students keep drugs in their lockers. School is a great place to deal drugs... It only makes sense that if the school suspects somethings up, they should check. We need to remember that your locket isn't a private area... It's publicly owned. The school owns it, not you. The only reasons you'd be against the school checking your locker is if you had something to hide. Books, a calculator, some pencils... You shouldn't care if the school looks in and sees these things. When my taxes pay for the lockers, they better be used for legal things.

• Safety vs. Death

You can be safe, or you can be sorry. At least 100,000 students bring guns to school everyday!!! Those guns need to be found and confiscated! School should be a safe place where you can learn without any threats!!! 40 students are hurt or killed from it. There is also the teenage drug problem!

• Your child's safety is in the hands of the teachers

As a parent you want your child to be safe at school, even if your not very protective of yoru child you at least do not want tohe mto be in the hand of a murder incident, drug gathering or social violence act. This is what happens when techers are nto allowed to acess a childs locker. It shouldn't be that bad anyway unless there acutally is soemthign abd

• Why do people even care?

The only reason to care would be if you had some AKs and a stack of ammo and some crack cocaine. Even so, you would have to be suspicious enough for them to want to search your locker.

Honestly, I am a minimalist and don't even use my school locker.

• They definitely do

Students don't pay for the lockers, its not theirs, its publicly owned by the school so they have more than enough right to search it when they feel the student is in possession of something dangerous. When it comes to privacy invading, whats the big deal? So the school finds out who your crush is, or that you are overly obsessed with a celebrity, the school isn't going to spread it around the school, they honestly won't care. Only the school would know anyways, so it isn't a big deal. They need regular locker checks so the students will feel discouraged to even bring illegal items to school. School is supposed to be a safe environment and that's being jeopardized by the students who are coming to school with illegal things, and searching lockers will reduce that and make schools a safer place.

• Yes they do!

I think that schools would be better off with the searches. They can deter use of drugs and other contraband. Research shows improvement in the amount of drugs that have been used in the schools, though the searches can cause a major rift in the student body and emloyees' relationships.

• No

I do not agree that schools should be able to search students lockers without their permission. It states in the 4th amendment that "the right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." I also think that the only reason the school should search one's locker is if they have shown suspicious behavior. Students should not be considered suspects unless the teacher has legitimate proof.

• Do schools have the right to search students' lockers?

the schools do not have the right to search our lockers they are rented out to the students but if the student is of suspicion then yes they do but what is the student does not have anything illegal but just plain embarrassing and it could be costly because the students parents might sue or press charges and then the schools would have to pay more for and administrator to search the lockers and its a waste of time.

• Kelly Ronison

i think that is stupid that schools go throw students lcoker. they have no right to do that anyway bcz it is stupid.

• no

no no no no! i have things in my locker that i would like to be kept private. And no its not illegal its my own private stuff. I know that the school owns the lockers but for the short time that im at school i would like to keep my private stuff in there

• 4th amendment

Clearly it does not protcet us childern from the illeagl search and seizure. Apound a search and seizure if anything it to be found why isnt it trund back over to the parent. Schools personal should not have the right on a supstion of smell or on the way the student walks or talks even how they star at the teacher. Us students need to stand up for our right to the 4th amendment.

• NO LOCKER SEACHES

I think that their should be no locker seaches because kids have to have their own privacy.some students carry special things from a loved one who had died that was given to them and they hang on to it because it is special to them.
    Do you teachers want to do that to a poor little child and make them miserable every second because you took that one special thing that he had in his book bag or locker.so just think about that for a second.

• NO NEVER WHY?

I actually don't ever use my locker... But if someone were to look in it... What if one day I actually did use it... If I brought my laptop to school (because I have school work on it) and put it in my locker because I don't want someone taking it? Then my locker gets searched and they take it? Then I can't do my work.

• Searching lockers is wrong.

Locker searching should not be allowed because even if it is not the students property the teachers do not have a right to search their locker. It's one thing for a cop to come up to your home and force you to let them search your house but its another for teachers to search your locker for drugs and weapons. I don't think it should be legal and therefore I make my statement that locker searching should be illegal!

• No, it is not right for schools to search students' lockers.

What is the point? I am only a 5th grader. Why do they give us lockers if they are not going to trust us? They can mess up our stuff if they do. I think it is just a waste of time for them to search lockers, because we are only 5th graders.

• There can be stuff they need to keep...

there can be stuff like lunch the are trying not to lose or be taken by someone.But if the student looks very suspicion then yes they will have to search lockers. But students might need just somethings private.But if the parent/guardian needs to sue the school or put charges on the school then they have a good reason. So then the school will have to pay a lot and the administrator will have to come in and search threw the lockers. An each minute they are searching the locker then they are wasting time!

Anonymous says2013-02-14T18:28:45.817
its a violation of privacy
Anonymous says2013-02-28T21:45:54.267
Girls have stuff that's personal and if the principal is a man and we might get embrassed plus our mommas and daddys bought the stuff so why they lookin through it
Anonymous says2013-03-15T01:03:34.737
I think maybe some one you can trust that will rat you out if you have some thing bad in school.
Anonymous says2013-05-23T17:46:44.253
There should be no reason to say no if you have personal things and your a girl just ask to have a women search your locker instead of a man don't see whats so hard about that
Anonymous says2013-05-29T23:13:47.330
Must school officials give the police permission to search lockers
Anonymous says2013-05-30T17:39:41.780
Can't they leave us alone?