• Schools Do offer creativity

Well if you ask me I'd say all students can express themselves through art and creativity and schools know that so why take that, they don't take that from students and they let them be themselves. I say that the schools have given enough creativity to their students through out the year.

• What are we without creative minds?

As I write this sitting in my honors American history class, I can undoubtedly confirm that yes, the school system lobotomizes a child's creativity. In my class now, we have one assignment that asks the same questions repeatedly. In all honestly,the dull repetitiveness of the work forces minds to run on autopilot, actively suppressing the free thoughts and ideas of the brain. Perhaps if the school system were to revise its ideals and realize that not all minds are the same, they could somehow draft new ideas to promote creativity in young people. Without this ability to full let the mind wander and think creatively and critically, we're no better than robots.

• Yes they do.

Rarely do I have the opportunity to do somthing creative or art ralated. Its mostly busy work. We dont get enough oportinites to show and express who we are in a windowless box. In some ways school is like a prison now I know thats harsh but thats just how I think.

• Schools are killing me and others

Im in middle school and we are wrinig a paper in language arts, and my techer told us to "be creative" but gave us all tese rule to follow. I don't think its creative when your toold what you have to do step by step. School systems need to change

• Creativity is limited not only at school, but at home as well.

The pure work load given in higher grades alone barely leaves students with enough time to sleep, let alone explore artistic passions or learn things that aren't deemed "necessary to school cericulum". How can students explore their own creative abilities if they are bombarded with homework. I myself have experienced this in that I love to make art, but have never had the time to take a proper class in it. There are often many things I would like to do, but have just never learned how. In fact, in elementary school my drawing skills were considerably good for my age, now my drawings look like garbage in comparison to students who have taken art classes, a class I had to sacrifice to take band (though my band class could be an argument all on its own), because I just never had the opportunity to gain the skill to make them look the way I want.

• They Don't Suppress It, They KILL It

Whenever there is a project, we have to follow strict guidelines and do nothing unique. The teachers always tell us to do it a specific way, and most kids don't even know how to write a creative story. In art class, we have to stick to a specific style, and even if some kids are creative, they don't usually get a chance to show it.

• No doubt about it

As a student i feel that we are taught that there is only one right answer, no unlimited possibilities of individual thoughts and opinion. And school judges our intelligence by a strict guideline that does not cater to majority of students. The system is greatly flawed and yet the school will always think i am a misbehaving delinquent. Sometimes i consider ditching school everyday and go to a library instead

• Teachers are the main cause

When you do a question or write an essay, you are expected to write according to a teachers standard and preference. I once wrote an essay about social media and said that it allows us to express ourselves freely, but my retarded teacher rejected it and said that it was 'not acceptable'. She even asked me to write like what mang of my friends are writing, and she claimed that that was more'relevant'. So, teachers are the main ones that counter attack creativity cuz in school, they allow onky one answer and creaive answers are pushed down and punished.

• Yes, homework suppresses creativity

School suppresses creativity and a childs' aptitude for learning new things. Young, primary school children are being bombarded with excessive amounts of homework and schoolwork that is hindering their ability to express themselves creatively. A childs' natural tendency to be creative is extremely valuable, and school is only preventing this tendency. School is a type of enforcement, because children would rather be painting or drawing instead of completing a maths project. School systematically suppresses a childs' inbuilt talents, including their natural artistic abilities and therefore stunts creative growth.

• Kill the creativity, why not?

While I do not doubt that every child must know the basics in all subjects, I do not think it fair to force children into studying and learning subjects which they have no interest in towards the latter years of school. This suppresses their interest in learning anything taught by teachers who force them into mindless memorizing, even if they would have had an interest in the subject.

• Schools Don't allow Creativity

Schools don't give students the option for much or any creativity and its a problem. Teachers tell students that they will never become successful because they are creative. All successful people are creative either when they are making music, art, dancing and stuff. Teachers want us students to be lawyers or teachers but there is one problem. Teachers CANT and WONT make YOU be someone your not because YOU wont let them no matter what. I have so much to say but um...I kinda cant say it all ~Kailey Anderson

• Schools Don't allow Creativity

• Not In The School I Went To

I went to a public school, I still do and I am currently in a public high school. Granted I am in New Zealand, not America and their school system must be entirely different. But in what we call 'Primary School' (like elementary) I can only remember painting and drawing and expressing my creativity. I remember writing story after story that I was so sick of it. I remember using paint, pastels, crayons, pens, pencils to make "art". I even finger painted and done painting with marbles. All things that I would have never done at home. All classrooms were decorated with student work of every colour there was to see . I didn't start learning science until I was at high school. And even at high school we do express our creativity but in a more mature manner than "create a hybrid animal and paint a picture of it" like I remember doing when I was 11. But we can explore our creativity in music, there's drama classes, there's art, there's graphics, there's a visual arts committee. You can do things like a Shakespeare festivals plays that can be student directed. Art competitions (that are national or regional, not just school ones). I have never felt like my creativity has ever been suppressed. In subjects like english, you are given a free range on a lot of things and can be as creative as you like.
    I think the only thing stopping a student from being creative is themselves not knowing that they can be creative.

• Not In The School I Went To

• No most definitely not!

Well, first I know that creativity isn't something you can necessarily learn, but seriously? Life is more than just science, math, and textbooks. Kids haveto spend 14 years of their lives in a school, it's not fair to the student to not even get a chance to experience creativity, and as a creative writer and future author, it's a damn great feeling that everyone should experience. And to be brutally blunt, without creativity, nothing in this world would have ever happen. We would have never advanced, never had all of these new inventions and achievements. Because well, yes, science and this math stuff is most definitely required in the process, but without creativity, there's nothing you can really do with it. So in all in all, schools should NOT suppress creativity.
    And for a final point as well, schools nowadays aren't so dang uniform, and they take notice to those students that have something to offer, and I attend a public school that takes performing arts seriously, showing creativity everywhere. Schools will listen to the creativity of the students because the students are the ones who have to sit in there for that long, and the "system" knows that.
    This is just how I feel about it.

• No, they actually put it above sold academics

Public schools today certainly do not suppress creativity. They often over-encourage it at the expense of solid academics, such as good spelling, grammar, and punctuation. I ran into many students at the University where I studied who could not write coherently because their high school English teachers had encouraged them in writer's workshop's to "not be restrained by worrying about grammar and punctuation," but to "just write" in their journals and to feel that their journals were a safe haven and they wouldn't have to worry about poor grammar and spelling affecting their grade. Now at University they were paying for that focus on creativity over grammar.

• Absolutely Not!

When most of us think of "school", we may think of just completing task to get good grades. The tasks are defined and students are measured by their quality of completion. But what about all the extracurricular activities that school provides? Activities like music, drama, chess club, sports, and other things like that? Those programs cater to fostering students' creativity and often get left out in the dust.

• No - schools do a good job of promoting the mind

As someone who works with elementary-school children, I can attest to the fact that schools these days do a good job of promoting the mind. I am constantly surprised and impressed at the projects and activities that teacher are putting together to give new ideas and inspirations to their students. It is exciting to see.