• Creativity is limited not only at school, but at home as well.

The pure work load given in higher grades alone barely leaves students with enough time to sleep, let alone explore artistic passions or learn things that aren't deemed "necessary to school cericulum". How can students explore their own creative abilities if they are bombarded with homework. I myself have experienced this in that I love to make art, but have never had the time to take a proper class in it. There are often many things I would like to do, but have just never learned how. In fact, in elementary school my drawing skills were considerably good for my age, now my drawings look like garbage in comparison to students who have taken art classes, a class I had to sacrifice to take band (though my band class could be an argument all on its own), because I just never had the opportunity to gain the skill to make them look the way I want.

• They Don't Suppress It, They KILL It

Whenever there is a project, we have to follow strict guidelines and do nothing unique. The teachers always tell us to do it a specific way, and most kids don't even know how to write a creative story. In art class, we have to stick to a specific style, and even if some kids are creative, they don't usually get a chance to show it.

• No doubt about it

As a student i feel that we are taught that there is only one right answer, no unlimited possibilities of individual thoughts and opinion. And school judges our intelligence by a strict guideline that does not cater to majority of students. The system is greatly flawed and yet the school will always think i am a misbehaving delinquent. Sometimes i consider ditching school everyday and go to a library instead

• Teachers are the main cause

When you do a question or write an essay, you are expected to write according to a teachers standard and preference. I once wrote an essay about social media and said that it allows us to express ourselves freely, but my retarded teacher rejected it and said that it was 'not acceptable'. She even asked me to write like what mang of my friends are writing, and she claimed that that was more'relevant'. So, teachers are the main ones that counter attack creativity cuz in school, they allow onky one answer and creaive answers are pushed down and punished.

• Yes, homework suppresses creativity

School suppresses creativity and a childs' aptitude for learning new things. Young, primary school children are being bombarded with excessive amounts of homework and schoolwork that is hindering their ability to express themselves creatively. A childs' natural tendency to be creative is extremely valuable, and school is only preventing this tendency. School is a type of enforcement, because children would rather be painting or drawing instead of completing a maths project. School systematically suppresses a childs' inbuilt talents, including their natural artistic abilities and therefore stunts creative growth.

• Kill the creativity, why not?

While I do not doubt that every child must know the basics in all subjects, I do not think it fair to force children into studying and learning subjects which they have no interest in towards the latter years of school. This suppresses their interest in learning anything taught by teachers who force them into mindless memorizing, even if they would have had an interest in the subject.

• School KILLS creativity

School is a very basic cookie cutter for life. A kid who goes to school will spend most of their young life in school, learning what every one else at all schools are learning. The same thing. School takes kid's time away from exploring interests and depletes them of finding a passion for something they might like. School has honestly transformed me into a robot. Learning what every other student is learning, same concepts, same everything.

• Unfair balance of Class types

Why is it that schools over emphasis math and science, but tend to ignore more abstract ideas, such as philosophy, psychology, creative writing. Schools meet the needs of people with brains that are built more for math and science, but not for people that think in more abstract ways. How many times have you seen a philosophy class in a high school? Yes, I understand that science and math are crucial for jobs and higher education, but if you know what you want to do with your life, then why are they mandatory for an honors degree? Why can't we have a balance between the two types of courses? It makes the people that excel in math and science appear to be more intelligent than students who excel in psych and philosophy, which is an unfair balance. Quite frustrating and restrictive of creativity, if you ask me.

• Yes,school tend to suppress creativity.

Yes because of all the new rules and regulations schools tend to suppress creativity.They are forced to abide by a very strict curriculum that leaves very little room for creativity.Students who are stifled usually choose to go outside the established system to vent their creativity and express themselves in a friendly environment.

• Believing in Fairytales

When was the last time you heard a teacher say, “I want you to write something, anything at all. A poem, a song, a story, perhaps even a fairytale?” It’s been a while hasn’t it? When we’re little, we are taught to dream the impossible, wish upon stars, and believe in fairytales. But there’s no recess in high school. No recess for the body or, more importantly, for the mind. As we grow, do we suddenly no longer have a need for magic, no time for daydreams? Is imagination no longer relevant? Or is it just that we aren't allowed the time?
    Perhaps some would argue schools are simply meant to prepare children for the real world, not to nurture their creativity, but I think differently. After all, is not the "real world" full of creativity? Are the leaves not full of color, and is the sky not full of stars? Then, why, I ask, are schools not full of creative children, of all ages.
    You can suppress creativity in the classroom, but you can't take the daydreams out of my head. Life is full of magic, which is why you can keep your "real world preparation," and I'll continue to believe in my fairytales.

• Not In The School I Went To

I went to a public school, I still do and I am currently in a public high school. Granted I am in New Zealand, not America and their school system must be entirely different. But in what we call 'Primary School' (like elementary) I can only remember painting and drawing and expressing my creativity. I remember writing story after story that I was so sick of it. I remember using paint, pastels, crayons, pens, pencils to make "art". I even finger painted and done painting with marbles. All things that I would have never done at home. All classrooms were decorated with student work of every colour there was to see . I didn't start learning science until I was at high school. And even at high school we do express our creativity but in a more mature manner than "create a hybrid animal and paint a picture of it" like I remember doing when I was 11. But we can explore our creativity in music, there's drama classes, there's art, there's graphics, there's a visual arts committee. You can do things like a Shakespeare festivals plays that can be student directed. Art competitions (that are national or regional, not just school ones). I have never felt like my creativity has ever been suppressed. In subjects like english, you are given a free range on a lot of things and can be as creative as you like.
    I think the only thing stopping a student from being creative is themselves not knowing that they can be creative.

• Not In The School I Went To

• No most definitely not!

Well, first I know that creativity isn't something you can necessarily learn, but seriously? Life is more than just science, math, and textbooks. Kids haveto spend 14 years of their lives in a school, it's not fair to the student to not even get a chance to experience creativity, and as a creative writer and future author, it's a damn great feeling that everyone should experience. And to be brutally blunt, without creativity, nothing in this world would have ever happen. We would have never advanced, never had all of these new inventions and achievements. Because well, yes, science and this math stuff is most definitely required in the process, but without creativity, there's nothing you can really do with it. So in all in all, schools should NOT suppress creativity.
    And for a final point as well, schools nowadays aren't so dang uniform, and they take notice to those students that have something to offer, and I attend a public school that takes performing arts seriously, showing creativity everywhere. Schools will listen to the creativity of the students because the students are the ones who have to sit in there for that long, and the "system" knows that.
    This is just how I feel about it.

• No, they actually put it above sold academics

Public schools today certainly do not suppress creativity. They often over-encourage it at the expense of solid academics, such as good spelling, grammar, and punctuation. I ran into many students at the University where I studied who could not write coherently because their high school English teachers had encouraged them in writer's workshop's to "not be restrained by worrying about grammar and punctuation," but to "just write" in their journals and to feel that their journals were a safe haven and they wouldn't have to worry about poor grammar and spelling affecting their grade. Now at University they were paying for that focus on creativity over grammar.

• Absolutely Not!

When most of us think of "school", we may think of just completing task to get good grades. The tasks are defined and students are measured by their quality of completion. But what about all the extracurricular activities that school provides? Activities like music, drama, chess club, sports, and other things like that? Those programs cater to fostering students' creativity and often get left out in the dust.

• No - schools do a good job of promoting the mind

As someone who works with elementary-school children, I can attest to the fact that schools these days do a good job of promoting the mind. I am constantly surprised and impressed at the projects and activities that teacher are putting together to give new ideas and inspirations to their students. It is exciting to see.