Do schools test your memory and not your intelligence?

• Too much emphasis on memorizing facts and not enough on concepts

For true innovation we need people to understand concepts not just memorize facts. Too much of standardized testing is just about memorizing facts. I'm not against standardized testing in principle I just think they should be designed to test a studnet's grasp of the concepts moreso than facts. And get rid of multiple choice. You know it or you don't know it.

• Yes!! School is testing our memory! Which is not fair!

Okay.... So, last week I met a 4 year old girl. She hasn't started school yet but her mum said she's ready (she was hinting she was smart). So I had a conversation with this girl and EVERYTHING she was telling me sounded like it was coming directly from her parents..She knew the alphabet she knew random facts but the only reason for this is because she has a good memory!! I'm in high school now and almost all my exams we are given the question 2 weeks before so we can "'memorise" our answer, this is totally unfair as I know some students have a extremely good memory so they could easily get a tutor or parent to write it and simply remember it and place it straight on the paper... I can't even remember my own work and in all of these exams I am writting the answer on the spot. What if someone has a photogenic memory? How unfairs that.. I think learning should be fun and we should not be pressured to remember things (causing stress) which in the future we almost guaranteed to forget!!

• I in school. School suck.

Study show school suck, not good to be a good person that is a good person who is a smart good ith person who is a good at determine smartness good. Debate with me and i will school ya. Don't try to cry, this headline will fool ya! Thats all

• I'm still in school.

In all the test I have done, you have to memorise the answer. Memory plays a BIG part in school from tear to spelling bees to even remembering which class you are in! Yes intelligence plays a part to a certain degree, but in the end, merory will always win.

• I'm still in school.

• Memory before intelligence

In order to have intelligence, you need to have memory. If you didn't have your memory, then what point would there be to have intelligence? Here is an example: You are studying for a Shakespeare passage and you need to remember the entire thing in order to get a 100%, you are not very familiar with the piece and are somewhat struggling to get it down.
    Now let's put it into someone who is familiar with the piece: You are studying for a Shakespeare passage and you need to remember the entire thing to get a 100%, you are very familiar with the piece because of teachers that you have been with in the past and can easily remember it while only looking at it once.
    The fact of the matter is that no matter what, the reason you have your intelligence is because you have something to store it in (which is your memory). And this isn't even talking about education in itself. I'm talking about all around behavior of people in our society. Here is an example: You come home to a messy room because of your dog and all of your life you have been told to keep your room clean. Therefore, that means that you REMEMBER that you were told to keep your room clean. Remember is a key word that people use almost daily and it can always direct itself back to the fact that everyone has a memory. I hope I got my point across to a lot of people and if you have any comments or objections about my explanations feel free to let me know and I will be more than happy to continue talking about this subject!

• Yes Its true even somebody says no to this

I experience this since I was a Student and now a college student, I failed some subjects (except Math) because I'm lack of memorizing things to be honest I can't memorize too much because it gets me stress & headaches but I can beat the top 1 on our room in Math.So I tried to play puzzle game called Unblock Me for the first time, I beat 200+ at the beginner mode in 30 minutes, In expert mode I beat 130+ in 30 minutes. So I tell to myself "I don't have any problem at all" and tell to my classmates what I did but they don't believe me so I bring the tablet and say to my one of my classmate (I challenged the top 1 on our room) "let's race who get the first 100+ puzzle in expert mode will win",you will not believe it but I win,even my classmates won't believe it, I tried to make some puzzles like folding paper and you need to get same numbers at the front and another same number at the back like this. TRUE STORY.
    Front back
    111 222
    111 222
    111 222

Long Story Short:I failed some subjects except Math,I beat the top 1 on our class with some puzzles and that's why school test your memory not you intelligence.

More Things: To improve your Intelligence play some puzzle or puzzle games,RPG games and strategic games.Even my relflexes Improve because of the games.(actually I'm a Gamer)

• If you can't remember this, you will fail.

Schools test your memorization, no matter how intelligent you might be, you must be good at memorizing or else you will not do well in school. Later in life as we get older never will we have to solve a problem with what we remember.
    For example
    If I need to find the area of a triangle when I'm 30, I can just Google the formula for it, I will not have to memorize it, but schools insist it is important to memorize all these things. And to be honest it's out right ridiculous!

• School is for acheiving a status.

Even in my Secondary Level Education ( Highschool ) my accounting, economics, irish, french & History teachers all agree that it is about Knowing the Exam papers and what will come up, memorise accordingly and produce generic style answers in the exam. My economics teacher tells us word for word "Learn the definition in the exam and NOT you're own little spiel" now while I understand Economics, many people in my class don't and they say "just do what she tells you". Now it is true that school provides many essential skills that are invaluable to us in later years, and subjects like maths and English are subjects that require understanding, fluency and cognitive thinking, but school is not the solid rock of life that it's made out to be.

• Think about the math equations

In math classes you are taught problem solving processes and solutions in the algorithms and formulas used to solve a problem. This core skill then transfers into one's other classes such as science and English so that one can look at a scientific or literary question and analyze what is happening in the situation rather than what their teacher tells them. History is the only subject that is based on memorization, but that is only because the sole purpose of history is to have us remember what happened in the past and use that knowledge to prevent prior problems from happening in the future. We need the core elements of intelligence that we get from schooling to be able to analyze and rightly choose one opinion over the other. It is not a pointless walk of memory games and pointless tests. It is the foundation for how we will go about solving our internal and external problems when we get into the real world and have to make on spot important decisions.

• You are questioning the whole education system by saying that schools only test memory.

Schools must have been set up keeping Something in mind, and not only for testing how better we can memorize stuff. A person doesn't go to school just to test his or her memory, but sharpen the blunt intelligence. Grades are what make a difference between a doctorate and a terrorist.

• Your Memory IS Your Intelligence

If you can't remember something, do you really know it? Schools are not IQ tests, and IQ tests are irrelevant for the most part, anyway. Schools are not meant to test your base intelligence--they are meant to teach you. If you are taught something, you should be expected to remember it. If I were to give a speech on the societal effects the Civil War had, but I can't remember, why in the world would anyone listen to what I have to say? I obviously don't know my material. That's what schools test--do you know what the school has tried to teach you? If you can't remember it, obviously not. If I went to school to learn how to fix a broken AC, but I forgot everything I learned, and I try to fix an AC, I would be useless. It doesn't matter if I have an IQ of 150 or 10, if I forget what I am taught, it's as if I was never taught at all.

• Schools can test you on things that they haven't taught you yet to see what you know.

I think that school test both. But I feel that intelligence is tested more than schools teach memory. During the school year, you do study for tests, but you have to know how to manage your time wisely and how to comprehend the words in the paper. This argument could go both ways, but overall, I think schools test more intelligence that memory, but they do test both.

• No, they test both.

No, schools do not test your memory and not intelligence, because schools test both. Students must be intelligent enough to comprehend the material in order to write it on exams. It depends on the way that the questions are asked, but math must be understood, not memorized. Students must be both intelligent and studied to do well on tests.