• Yes, single mothers deserve welfare. All members of society deserve assistance from the government but only for a limited time.

The government has a responsibility to assist all citizens including single mothers but only for a limited time. Single mothers who cannot collect child support from the men who helped create their children should receive some assistance for a period of time to get financially stable. Welfare should not be a lifestyle and the government must set strict limits for how long it will provide welfare.

• Yes, I strongly agreed.

Single mother is a person who is taking care of all the needs of her child without a life partner. This might be because of many reasons such as pre-marital sex, death of the husband or a divorce. Such mothers definitely deserve support and help from all the sources like family, society and the government. Support from the government will always improve the living conditions and mental state and the feelings of such mother. They need a lot of moral support as they have to do the job of both father and mother to her children. Such children have special needs and the mother should be in a condition to full fill all the needs of her children. Thus they strongly deserve to be helped by the government as in the case of death and divorce the mother might be helpless and in a situation where she could not have done anything to save the father of the child.

• I completely agree

I completely agree. Welfare should be for the child because Welfare should not be a lifestyle, welfare benefits help close the gap between very low and median household income, which has a massive effect on their ability to pay for housing.

• Nay Sayers misinformed

I think some people just don't understand how welfare works. If you are a single mother on welfare you receive around $850 per month, at least where I am from. And as for child support, they don't get it. Father is forced to pay, then it is deducted from the welfare cheque, so no matter how much child support is paid they still only get $850. Now consider a decent apartment is $550 a month plus utilities. Not the free ride you think it is, honestly. The real problem is entire families who are on welfare for generations, not moms who have become single due to unforeseen reasons. They could have been stay at home moms who were cheated on or abused. There aren't many people I know who are on welfare by choice, and your tax dollars are not paying as much of it as you think (less than 1% of your annual salary as a matter off fact, do some research) If a newly single mom needs help for a short time to get her life back in order, Like I once did, more power to them, that's what it is for. I hope some of you may Sayers need help one day! Maybe then you would understand its not that bad, but it certainly isn't luxurious!

• Dead beat fathers

Lawyers Are getting paid To help us. Most single mom's work or have worked and still not enough to support our families. United States dishes out to help other countries that are rich and USA should worry about us Americans. I have been homeless. I don't eat just so my kids eat. Be nice to recieve some help with child support. A little food stamps to help us families in need is not going to hurt our country. The politicians and the president of USA are using and stealing trillions of unnecessary dollars

• Not what you all believe.

Having been a landlord in the section 8 program I have seen the reality of the welfare system. I cannot say that it is not abused because it is, but not nearly as much as the conservatives would have us believe. Thesystem does not pay the amount that is implied by many it is barely enough to feed the kids,so without food stamps the family must choose between paying rent and buying food. I have seen articles in some publications that talk about welfare paying better than working, if this is true doesn't it speak of a problem with the amount that businesses are paying. I do believe that permanent welfare should not be an option. Look around what happened to all of the good paying jobs of the 60s and 70s. Single mothers should be helped so their children can pull themselves out of poverty.
    With the high cost of living minimum wage jobs that many rely on will not pay the bills. If business was not allowed to ship our jobs overseas maybe things would be better for all of us.

• It is the government's job to take care of all its citizens!

There are all sorts of circumstances and struggles we know nothing about in each person's life! Cruel and unnecessary judgement is unfair. I would give half my pay check to ensure my neighbor can live an adequate, happy and comfortable life because money is NOT everything! What goes around comes around and I wish we lived in a world where we all felt this way.

• Life happens, taxes are a definite.

So what do we do with poor people? Regardless of whether you believe in Jesus, one true thing he said is that the poor shall always be with you. Isn't true? Poverty is a reality of the civilized world. Do Eskimos have poor? Good question. In countries where there is no welfare, single poor moms become prostitutes. They sleep in the streets. Without welfare, which includes cash, food stamps, section 8, disability, etc we would have vast amounts of homeless people including children in this country. There is nowhere for them to go. In some countries, like India, it is possible to walk onto a vacant piece of land and start farming it. Here every mm of space is spoken for, so a homeless person who occupies that space for too long is guilty of loitering. Overtime, we would be shifting poor people into a class of criminals.
    Another truth is that the government is going to tax you anyway. What did the government do with tax dollars before welfare was implemented? What did the poor do before welfare? What would the government do with those extra tax dollars if they did revoke all welfare benefits? Do you really trust politicians to anything more noble with your tax dollars? Frankly, I think welfare is stingy, slow. Nobody who I know (yes, I am a single mother on welfare) wants to remain poor. How is welfare stingy? Well, paying for childcare so I can have the time to engage in job searching, interviews, and yes just slide into a job would really expedite getting off welfare. Getting subsidized childcare takes 3 to 6 months. Also, just getting a job does not necessarily mean getting out of poverty, a full time job paying minimum wage is not enough to afford a market rate apartment. Also poor moms do not love their children less than rich moms. We (at least I am) are aware of the statistics about poverty and single mother households with higher than average school drop out rates of their children. I want out of this statistical trap as effectively as possible.
    Abortion? Adoption? Choices? I was wearing an IUD when I realized I must be pregnant. I felt completely justified to get an abortion. Issue number one is I knew the dad wanted a child. Issue number two I feel uncomfortable doing something that I have to keep as my shameful secret the rest of my life. I don't feel that the time of the pregnancy is enough to find the perfect alternative parents. Keep my legs closed? Who in these times is perfectly chaste? I have never encountered a man willing to wait until marriage, so why should I? I do not agree that having children is an earned privilege, I have witnessed rich people who treat their kids like trophies. My child is safe with me mentally and emotionally, so who is better to raise her? I am grateful for welfare. And God, from whom all good

• Life happens, poverty is a reality of civilization

Another truth is that the government is going to tax you anyway. What did the government do with tax dollars before welfare was implemented? What did the poor do before welfare? What would the government do with those extra tax dollars if they did revoke all welfare benefits? Do you really trust politicians to anything more noble with your tax dollars? Frankly, I think welfare is stingy. Nobody who I know (yes, I am a single mother on welfare) wants to remain poor. How is welfare stingy? Well, paying for childcare so I can have the time to engage in job searching, interviews, and yes just slide into a job would really expedite getting off welfare. Getting subsidized childcare takes 3 to 6 months. Also, just getting a job does not necessarily mean getting out of poverty, a full time job paying minimum wage is not enough to afford a market rate apartment. Also poor moms do not love their children less than rich moms. We (at least I am) are aware of the statistics about poverty and single mother households with higher than average school drop out rates of their children. I want out of this statistical trap as effectively as possible. If I did the whole work/school scenario, my kid would be in daycare all day. Let me also say that I am grateful for welfare, because I am not forced to marry a man I don't love just for financial security.
    Abortion? Adoption? Choices? I was wearing an IUD when I realized I must be pregnant. I felt completely justified to get an abortion. Issue number one is I knew the dad wanted a child. Issue number two I feel uncomfortable doing something that has to my shameful secret for my entire life. Issue three abortion is truly killing any potential the unknown person I was pregnant with might have. Adoption again dad wanted a child. Also I do not trust an agency to give me a good selection of potential parents. Keep my legs closed? Who in modern times is perfectly chaste?

• I Am Appalled at Those Saying No

The "NO"s argue that the woman should not have gotten pregnant outside of marriage, yet these are the same type of people wanting to defund Planned Parenthood. And, Hello! Reality check! How can you possibly tell a woman in an abusive marriage that she should have chosen better?! He was nice and loving in the beginning! Then he became an alcoholic after two kids and she is supposed to stay because she doesn't deserve welfare? You know they can take your kids away if you are being abused in the same home and don't take measures to shield our child from it? And what about the man who goes out for a pack of cigarettes and never is heard from again? Callous, unkind, unloving, cold-hearted people would rather these poor mothers die on the street instead. That would be a pretty picture of America, right?!

• The Spoils of Victimhood

So let me get this straight, a woman decides to get pregnant (yes, it is a choice) with the child of a man who then leaves her, and then society should be on the hook to give her money for this? Seriously. If this happens once to a woman, I can see helping her out SHORT TERM. But unfortunately this is abused to the point where the taxpayer is on the hook for generations of her family. This is rubbish!

• Keep your legs closed

If a woman can't take care of her kid then it needs to be taken away. Especially these teens mom. Most women are having these kids without being married so they're not religious which means they should get an abortion. I hope they live in poverty for the rest of their lives. Society is messed up.

• Scroungers on Free Ride

They know before they get pregnant that they are going to benefit from a free house - if this was taken away they would be more careful! Why should the low life's get a free ride when decent hard working people have to work and scrimp just to house themselves. The single mums I know still manage 2 weeks holiday abroad every year & there kids have the latest phones while decent people who don't live on benefits have to economise.

• Women need to be responsible for their actions

Most single mothers weren't left by men and are not widows. They chose to have children with no husband or the resources necessary to support themselves and a child. Providing them welfare provides incentive for their irresponsible actions. Women who are widows or do have their husbands leave them deserve welfare. Women who have children without resources are selfish and hurt their children along with society in general.

• Not every single mother deserves welfare.

Yes, there are single mothers out there that need help. However, not every single mother NEEDS to be put on welfare. Some women are poor and some women are rich. Just because someone is a single parent does not mean they need help. The government needs to give welfare to the women who need it, not to the women who think they need it.

• Its called personal responsibility

It's not the taxpayer's responsibility to pay for your irresponsible actions. You can pay for your own kids, maybe that will teach you not to have a couple more. Because single welfare moms never have just one kid, oohhh noo, they have 3 or 4. Bigger check that way you know.

• A Ticket to Scamming the System for SOME women

I don't think all single women have kids because they know they can scam the system, but I think a significant proportion of lower income women see it as their only means of support. It encourages the under class to proliferate itself, unfortunately. Seriously, if they knew it was going to be a financial responsitiblity to have kids, maybe they would think twice about it and not contribute to the ills of our society by having yet more kids who will repeat the pattern of only taking but not giving to society. Let's face it, we don't need to encourage people to have more kids that will only grow up in poverty and end up coming to no good. It just repeats a vicious circle. Instead of finding a nice guy who will help support their family they rely on good ol' Uncle Sam. Well, when does it ever end? And now our society is being taken over by low lives as a result. I just can't believe how most people don't see this connection. And I'm not even a conservative! These women are "smart". They know that if they don't have kids their chances of getting government support go way downhill (don't ever be single without kids and destitute) and they might actually have to accomplish something and become "job worthy". But they don't want to do that! So this is what they do.

• No one is entitled to anything they don't contribute to.

I am honestly tired of single mothers being put on a pedestal in this country, and people acting as if they are the only ones in need. We have poverty level college students and childless adults that are denied many of the benefits single moms are entitled to, even if they have never paid into the systems they benefit from.

No one deserves to collect taxpayer money if they do not pay into the system themselves.

I know its anecdotal, but I love to share the story of my friend, who I will call Louise. Louise has never worked in her life. She had a child with a man she knew for 3 weeks, 2 separate times (she miscarried, then a month later was pregnant again), for the sole purpose of receiving benefits. Once she found out she was pregnant, she left the father repeatedly and falsely accused him of abuse and stalking to benefit from a domestic violence shelter, that offered her free housing programs. Her daughter sleeps in a free pack-n-play, has no winter coat, hats, or socks, and her car seat is from the side of the road despite her paying just $50 in rent with no other bills, ( she lives with her mother). She is receiving free schooling, was approved for free housing, she gets $405 a month in cash assistance, $305 in food stamps, WIC, and is going to an agency in our state that will offer her a free car. She continues to prevent the father from seeing his child, who doubts if it is his because she cheated on him, yet is demanding child support.
    This is why single mothers DO NOT deserve welfare simply for being single mothers. If they do nothing to improve their financial situation by going to work, they do not deserve free money and their child should be placed in a more stable home.

And of course, a majority of women are not like Louise, and these are the women who deserve welfare, because they are actually attempting to support their child without stealing from the taxpayers to buy clothes and fast-food. Women like this should have their parental abilities seriously questioned, and this behavior should not be rewarded with free stuff.

We have college students who are working full-time at jobs they hate while going to school taking out a ridiculous amount of loans in hopes of receiving a job that pays enough to be able to comfortably live; they still can still not receive benefits unless they have a child. There are childless adults who are working and struggling.

Not having a child does not mean you are well-off and are living comfortably.

So again, if you are working to contribute to the system, and are utilizing the money in the way it was intended to be used, then of course you should be allowed to receive benefits. Being a single mother, in my opinion, is not enough to entitle you to free stuff.

• Only for Widows.

As a single man who could not find a quality woman (I spent my youth believing the 'women want a nice guy' lie) it is not my responsibility to support and be the wage slave to the bastard children of some dumbass woman who I did not have sex with when I do not have a wife or children of my own. Her bad decisions are not my responsibility and these fatherless bastards will go on to be a drain or destructive force on society. The safety net of welfare has turned women into trash who know there are no ramifications for their poor choices, but rather always a safety net provided by taxpayers at the end of a gun, courtesy of uncle Sam. Also welfare is a proxy for democrat voters to steal from everyone. Democrats volunteer to oppress everyone via the state to stay in power thanks to the votes of women who don't have the sense to keep their legs closed, and their illegitimate children. I would support widows only and I would support the state funded sterilization of anyone with an IQ of 90 who cannot support themselves and want to be sexually active. These retard bastards add nothing to society, do not support my culture, nor do they hold my view of the purpose of civilization, and are not my responsibility. I didn't knock the slut up, I should not pay.

• No one deserves anything that has to been taken from someone else.

The main point to this and many other questions is that no one has a right to steal from anyone else. Welfare also appears to directly create more single moms. Since the introduction of welfare the rate of single motherhood has exploded. With the government to fall back on young women can now choose to date or sleep around with thugs, players, and useless trust fund babies rather than focus on finding a stable headed male. Young women also have so many birth control options nowadays (plus abortion is legal) that it's inexcusable to not only chase after the wrong men, but to then have a baby with them.