• Yes, single mothers deserve welfare. All members of society deserve assistance from the government but only for a limited time.

The government has a responsibility to assist all citizens including single mothers but only for a limited time. Single mothers who cannot collect child support from the men who helped create their children should receive some assistance for a period of time to get financially stable. Welfare should not be a lifestyle and the government must set strict limits for how long it will provide welfare.

• I completely agree

I completely agree. Welfare should be for the child because Welfare should not be a lifestyle, welfare benefits help close the gap between very low and median household income, which has a massive effect on their ability to pay for housing.

• Nay Sayers misinformed

I think some people just don't understand how welfare works. If you are a single mother on welfare you receive around $850 per month, at least where I am from. And as for child support, they don't get it. Father is forced to pay, then it is deducted from the welfare cheque, so no matter how much child support is paid they still only get $850. Now consider a decent apartment is $550 a month plus utilities. Not the free ride you think it is, honestly. The real problem is entire families who are on welfare for generations, not moms who have become single due to unforeseen reasons. They could have been stay at home moms who were cheated on or abused. There aren't many people I know who are on welfare by choice, and your tax dollars are not paying as much of it as you think (less than 1% of your annual salary as a matter off fact, do some research) If a newly single mom needs help for a short time to get her life back in order, Like I once did, more power to them, that's what it is for. I hope some of you may Sayers need help one day! Maybe then you would understand its not that bad, but it certainly isn't luxurious!

• Yes, I strongly agreed.

Single mother is a person who is taking care of all the needs of her child without a life partner. This might be because of many reasons such as pre-marital sex, death of the husband or a divorce. Such mothers definitely deserve support and help from all the sources like family, society and the government. Support from the government will always improve the living conditions and mental state and the feelings of such mother. They need a lot of moral support as they have to do the job of both father and mother to her children. Such children have special needs and the mother should be in a condition to full fill all the needs of her children. Thus they strongly deserve to be helped by the government as in the case of death and divorce the mother might be helpless and in a situation where she could not have done anything to save the father of the child.

• If they are struggling.

If single mothers (or fathers, for that matter) are struggling to make ends meet, then they definitely deserve welfare. The child would be the person suffering the most if the parent couldn't afford to properly feed or clothe them or take them to the doctor. It is very difficult to be a poor single parent in today's economy.

• Yes single mothers deserve government assistance not all the deserving ones

I am a single mother myself regardless of the factors as to why, but i do not sit back and let life pass me by i am currently enrolled in college trying to do better with my life along with being a full time employee i do not receive child support for my child and constantly urge the AG to help. It upsets me that i don't qualify for assistance and i'm doing everything i can possible do to get out of this situation but yet there are grown people with kids no kids on welfare and not even trying to do better or even get a job! So yes single mothers deserve assistance temporarily at least the ones who are actually trying to do something with there selves.

• I Am Appalled at Those Saying No

The "NO"s argue that the woman should not have gotten pregnant outside of marriage, yet these are the same type of people wanting to defund Planned Parenthood. And, Hello! Reality check! How can you possibly tell a woman in an abusive marriage that she should have chosen better?! He was nice and loving in the beginning! Then he became an alcoholic after two kids and she is supposed to stay because she doesn't deserve welfare? You know they can take your kids away if you are being abused in the same home and don't take measures to shield our child from it? And what about the man who goes out for a pack of cigarettes and never is heard from again? Callous, unkind, unloving, cold-hearted people would rather these poor mothers die on the street instead. That would be a pretty picture of America, right?!

• Because if it were me, I'd want the help.

I am a married, stay-at home mom of 2 boys. I have a college education, successful employment history, currently active in community volunteering, middle-class soccer mom. It's hard enough to raise children when you are happily married and had planned pregnancies. I can't imagine how hard it is for those less fortunate. If it happened to me & my kids, then I would want the help. My heart aches for everyone who is struggling with children to care for. Finally if I were THE CHILD of a teen mom, an addict mom, an abused mom, an unemployed mom, a divorced or widowed mom, a single mom... Yes I would deserve welfare.

• Pay me for years!

Welfare is really the only reason I had 3 kids, and child support. I've been on it for years, and no plans of getting off it. I don't have to pay for anything, and haven't in about 15 years. Why would I give it up? It's too easy, between the state and my ex husbands. They deserve to pay me! If you are looking for the same, move to Tennessee! There's no cut off date, even if your caught cheating them, they won't cut you off. Unless you move out of the state.

• Dead beat fathers

Lawyers Are getting paid To help us. Most single mom's work or have worked and still not enough to support our families. United States dishes out to help other countries that are rich and USA should worry about us Americans. I have been homeless. I don't eat just so my kids eat. Be nice to recieve some help with child support. A little food stamps to help us families in need is not going to hurt our country. The politicians and the president of USA are using and stealing trillions of unnecessary dollars

• The Spoils of Victimhood

So let me get this straight, a woman decides to get pregnant (yes, it is a choice) with the child of a man who then leaves her, and then society should be on the hook to give her money for this? Seriously. If this happens once to a woman, I can see helping her out SHORT TERM. But unfortunately this is abused to the point where the taxpayer is on the hook for generations of her family. This is rubbish!

• Keep your legs closed

If a woman can't take care of her kid then it needs to be taken away. Especially these teens mom. Most women are having these kids without being married so they're not religious which means they should get an abortion. I hope they live in poverty for the rest of their lives. Society is messed up.

• Scroungers on Free Ride

They know before they get pregnant that they are going to benefit from a free house - if this was taken away they would be more careful! Why should the low life's get a free ride when decent hard working people have to work and scrimp just to house themselves. The single mums I know still manage 2 weeks holiday abroad every year & there kids have the latest phones while decent people who don't live on benefits have to economise.

• Women need to be responsible for their actions

Most single mothers weren't left by men and are not widows. They chose to have children with no husband or the resources necessary to support themselves and a child. Providing them welfare provides incentive for their irresponsible actions. Women who are widows or do have their husbands leave them deserve welfare. Women who have children without resources are selfish and hurt their children along with society in general.

• Not every single mother deserves welfare.

Yes, there are single mothers out there that need help. However, not every single mother NEEDS to be put on welfare. Some women are poor and some women are rich. Just because someone is a single parent does not mean they need help. The government needs to give welfare to the women who need it, not to the women who think they need it.

• Its called personal responsibility

It's not the taxpayer's responsibility to pay for your irresponsible actions. You can pay for your own kids, maybe that will teach you not to have a couple more. Because single welfare moms never have just one kid, oohhh noo, they have 3 or 4. Bigger check that way you know.

• A Ticket to Scamming the System for SOME women

I don't think all single women have kids because they know they can scam the system, but I think a significant proportion of lower income women see it as their only means of support. It encourages the under class to proliferate itself, unfortunately. Seriously, if they knew it was going to be a financial responsitiblity to have kids, maybe they would think twice about it and not contribute to the ills of our society by having yet more kids who will repeat the pattern of only taking but not giving to society. Let's face it, we don't need to encourage people to have more kids that will only grow up in poverty and end up coming to no good. It just repeats a vicious circle. Instead of finding a nice guy who will help support their family they rely on good ol' Uncle Sam. Well, when does it ever end? And now our society is being taken over by low lives as a result. I just can't believe how most people don't see this connection. And I'm not even a conservative! These women are "smart". They know that if they don't have kids their chances of getting government support go way downhill (don't ever be single without kids and destitute) and they might actually have to accomplish something and become "job worthy". But they don't want to do that! So this is what they do.

• No. Nobody deserves social welfare

Social welfare, those given out by gov't, should not exist. People should be responsible for providing for themselves and their family through work. So no, single mothers or anyone else for that matter does not deserve welfare. If they can't provide for their children they should have thought about it before having them. If they are providing at least half of the cost of the child then she should be seeking the other half from the father, and that is where the gov't should step in, make sure the father pay his share of the cost, not other taxpayers.

• You are promoting irresponsibility

Fathers get slated everyday for not taking responsibility but yet you to award these women benefits who are irresponsible people may come and say you're punishing the child not necessarily because we can take that child away and that could teach not to have blind sex. How is it that you want all the good benefits but none of the responsibility fathers get destroyed for this and are forced to take responsibility even if they are not ready and where's the tax money to help them pay child support um where is it this is promoting irresponsibility this says you can have blind sex and you will not be held accountable for your actions and people will pay for you're responsibility for 18 years (my god a lot women are lazy these days) they will teach this to their children do you know that the majority of criminals in prisons are raised by single mothers do you know what led them to prison their up bringing they didn't have to take responsibility because their mother didn't teach them that so now they're in prison for crime this is what its promoting and its not good.

• It's not just "welfare" we're talking about.

We are also talking about schooling. In Canada, single mothers get free post secondary education free. This is also bull-crap as they should have gotten an education before having a child.

Here are my reason's why government hand-outs are bs.

A) You should never have been in the situation of being a single mom. (excluding widowed of course).
    - Pre-marital sex and got knocked up? Forced abortion. You're not responsible enough to use birth control how are you responsible enough to care for a baby?
    - Husband is a cheating douchebag? You picked him, deal with your choices.

Why do we as a society have to pay the price because you couldn't use birth control or got married to a douchebag?

Your mistake? Your problem.