Do single-sex schools harm a student's ability to interact with the opposite gender?

• They're called formative years for a reason

I went to a single sex school and found that spending my entire formative years away from the opposite gender was harmful to my wider social skills. As a contributor from the 'No' side rightly pointed out, there may be numerous ways to meet members of the opposite sex outside school, for some. For others there won't be; and where this is the case, a person could absolutely find themself facing adult life, having had painfully little experience interacting with an entire gender, outside of their family. It's not likely to lead to disaster, and there are certainly other benefits to single sex schooling, but the effect is very real and could take a decade or more for them to 'recover' an inner sense of normality. If you're a parent reading this, considering single-sex schooling for your child, please don't brush it off - make real provisions for your child to have that interaction on a regular basis outside school.

• Yes, single-sex schools harm a student's ability to interact with the opposite gender.

If you don't practice at a skill, you are not likely to get better at it. If you attend a school that does not have a music program, don't expect to graduate as a violin virtuoso. There are of course other ways for children to learn proper interactions with the opposite sex outside of school. However, children spend as much time at school as an adult does at work. Spending all of that time with no inter-gender interaction will have a negative impact on your ability to talk to the opposite sex.

• Yes, single-sex schools go against nature.

I firmly believe single-sex schools harm a student's ability to interact with the opposite gender. In regular coeducational schools, children are together from kindergarten through college. This enables them to become used to being around the opposite gender at a young age. They learn how to get along with each other socially, and form friendships. Children in single-sex schools miss all of this and it could affect them throughout their lives.

Yes, single-sex schools harm a student's ability to interact with the opposite gender. The reason for this is because there is almost no interaction between members of the opposite sex at same-sex schools. it is important to learn to interact with members of the other gender, and the only way to properly learn is through experience.

• No no no

Saasdddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssc dddv cf f c cfv c c cd c vc c c c c cc c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c c cc c c c

• Single sex schools are the same as mixed gender schools.

I am a high school student and go to an all girls school, and there is NOTHING wrong with it!

Sure we don't see many male's around campus (Besides teachers) But I know many a girl who have boyfriends. I don't see what the benefit of putting mixed genders together really does. Mostly it distracts by having people of the opposite sex flirting with each other during class time and really pulls them down in school.

I'm not saying that all mixed gendered schools are bad, all I'm saying is that single gender schools promote more concentration towards studies and school work rather than giggling over some boy in class.

I completely understand why others might disagree with me but this is just what I think is best.

• Single-sex schools do not harm a studen'ts ability to interact with the opposite gender.

Single-sex schools do not harm a student's ability to interact with the opposite gender. Students that attend single sex schools can interact with the opposite gender in other social settings such as parties, clubs, or even church. There are numerous ways to meet members of the opposite sex outside of school.