• It is sadly a yes.

My mom was hesistant to send me to an all girl school because she was afraid I would turn "gay". As offensive as it sounded, I didn't listen to her. After four years, I have to say, indeed, I did develop feelings for girls. Strong, intense feelings. Even now, when I'm finally in university, I'm trying to cope with an enviromenf of both males and females, I still find it very hard to have any attraction toward the opposite sex. It's like my brain is programmed to like the same sex... :(... I'm still very confused about my sexuality...

• As a first hand victim, yes they absolutely do.

After my first year of highschool, we moved countries, and I moved into an all boys school. At first I didn't think this would have any impact on me or my sexuality, but after about half a year there were definitely noticeable differences in my attraction toward the opposite gender. Slowly my sexual desire for girls was stamped out of me by this stupid and cruel educational system, as I was denied any interaction with them in this period. Besides anything, learning to interact with the opposite gender is, in a way, an even more fundamental skill than any academic one.

• 110% it does

I went to an academically selective high school all boys school and there were many boys who tried to make moves on me some subtly because it was a homophobic place but yet they always have gay behaviour and acts and touch each other and even teachers hear them talking about gay sex. Some were so bold they sent me gay porn. All the people mean to me were because I rejected them and usually they were ugly creepy nerdy sad thus got insecure and also insecure about their sexuality.

• Yes it does

I am doing a debate on single-sex schooling, and I believe that when you are around the same sex during the time period of where your hormones are spiking, and you only have your own gender around you, you will begin to experiment. You only have one thing to experiment with. So yes, I think it does promote homosexuality.

• No Girls/boys to stare at!!!

It makes people start to stare at the same sex, thus creating homosexuality! ! ! ! ! I wouldn't want a guy staring at me in Science class... THAT WOULD MAKE ME SCARED FOR MY LIFE! SAME THING FOR MOST STUDENTS IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! GROSS!!! EWWWW! GET RID OF SINGLE-SEX CLASSROOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Yes The Scene Is Set.

Two men I dated in their 20s graduated from all boys prep schools in CT in late 60s/early 70s. Both had fathers absent from their pre-teen years through death/divorce; strong maternal figures. Both had issues relating to females sexually/emotionally tending toward sexual stereotypes and an arrested emotional bonding. Both had a strong close male friend, also single, with which I often felt in a strange competition, and were not particularly nice to me-- bottom line. Both boyfriends eventually married (women) in late 30s/early 40s. No children. In agreement that first sexual experiences can't be underestimated as the definitive identity, The temptation to experiment in a same sex environment when teen hormones rage is the pivotal factor to those with a compromised or missing paternal relationship-- BUT it is my belief that if any person wants to change ANYTHING, if the will to change is all-encompassing-- any change-- can be permanently accomplished through the help and relationship with the Higher Power.

• Yes yes yes

I do not like how a bunch of girls are in the same school. Of course this is going to show them how to talk to the opposite sex? Like come on we don't need same sex schools here. Like get on the ball people lets do something to stop this.

• Yes yes yes

If you say no youve clearly never gone to an all girls school all your life. Highly hormonal teenage girls with no access to members of the opposite sex find themselves unexpectedly, inexplicably attracted to girls, whether they consider themselves homosexual or not. I have known many situations where people who believe they are straight suddenly turn around and start engaging in sexual activities with gay female friends. They then reach the summer, meet some boys and realise it was all a phase. When youre in an environment with so much close physical contact and sharing of feelings, hormones change your outlook on things.

• I do think so..

It is quite expected that the environment you live in, have an enormous effect on your life choices. In mixed schools, boys and girls are attracted to each other because they have contact with them.This goes for same -- sex schools, where people of the same sex are attracted to each other, not only because they understand them, but because it is human nature to love someone, and since the opposite sex interaction is limited, students(especially in their hormonal times) go for people of the same sex.
    This comment is truly not to offend anyone... Just my view on the topic :)

• You stay with the same sex for 4 years and you are also in puberty so the sexual stuff is more common

During school years you hang about with males and never see females
    and in puberty you have raging hormones which make it worst because during that time they experiment with sexuality and therefore do it with boys which leads to homosexuality and if they are around homophobic people they will get mental problems like anxiety and depression because they feel they don't fit in

• On the contrary I think it makes the boys and girls think more about the opposite sex because they aren't available.

I think homosexuality is something you are born with and so going to a single sex school wouldn't make any difference at all in promoting it.

Posted by: Bratzky
  • Single sex schools have nothing to do with promoting homosexuality.

Single sex schools do not promote or encourage any sort of homosexuality. Although a student who may be homosexual might find it more comfortable in coming out in such an environment the institution they attend does not push the issue upon them. A person's sexuality is predetermined by nature and not taught by a school.

Posted by: WillowsErv
  • Single-sex schools do not promote homosexuality because they have a stricter focus on academics.

Single-sex schools do not promote homosexuality. Just because someone goes to a school with the same gender does not mean they will become gay or lesbian. Often these schools have "sister" or "brother" schools that allow students to socialize with the opposite gender. Homosexuality is not something that is influenced at all by environment.

Posted by: WardGrad
  • Just because you have all boys or all girls in a school, there is no reason to assume that homosexuality is being promoted, because they spend the majority of time around their own sex anyway.

Most children spend the majority of their time playing with friends of the same sex. Girls play with girls, and boys play with boys. That's the way it is now, and that's the way it has been for a long time. This way of life has not promoted homosexuality, and will continue to not promote homosexuality. Therefore, having all boys or all girls in your school will also not have the effect of promoting or prompting homosexuality.

Posted by: MariaR
  • Single-sex schools do not promote homosexuality because it's scientifically proven that single-sex classes improve academic performance.

Scientists have proven that boys and girls learn in different ways. Being in classes with your own gender makes you feel more relaxed because you're not worrying about being judged for what you say, so students usually perform better in single-sex situations. In no way do single-sex schools promote homosexuality.

Posted by: AJermaine
  • No, because being around members of the same sex exclusively does not promote homosexuality in any circumstance.

The idea that homosexuality is promoted, or otherwise a result of situational factors or influence, is ridiculous. Homosexuality is not a choice, and the only decision that is affected by outward influences, including same sex schools, is the decision to hide homosexuality, and to attempt to live as a heterosexual.

Posted by: TownNoam
  • Single-sex schools do not promote homosexuality, just as other single-sex environments do not promote homosexuality.

Single-sex schools provide an environment for fraternizing and better understanding oneself and other members of one's gender. They do not promote homosexuality any more than co-ed schools promote heterosexuality. Other single-sex environments, such as a summer camp cabin, Girl and Boy scout troops, or even a nunnery are not considered to promote homosexuality, so why should another single-sex environment which focuses on education be considered as promoting homosexuality.

Posted by: HilN3il
  • Single sex schools DOES NOT promote homosexuality but Homosexual AWARENESS

Being in the single sex school forces you to question your sexuality. In the end, however, the end it's all burns down to how you make sense of your own feelings. Homosexuality isn't a choice, ignorance is. Our society itself is heteronormative. Children all over the world are being taught about how men should be with women to raise families. Thus, there are a lot of bisexual and gay youth out there who have yet to be given the right platform to explore and experiment with their own sexuality without being held back by chains of societal norms.

• It really doesn't.

Sexuality isn't formed because of the people. Heck, most kids at my school are straight. No one talks about homosexuality or discuss about it. No one would dare talk about it nor will anyone do anything considered gay to them all because of the homophobia that's felt throughout the school.

• You can't 'turn' gay or straight

You can't turn gay or straight. Being around the same sex doesn't make you gay, just like being around the opposite one doesn't make you straight. That's like saying that going to Girl/Boy scouts or having a roommate of the same sex will turn you gay. That attitude is actually pretty homophobic as it implies that it's a choice or a disease that can be cured. It's not.