• Yes it does

I am doing a debate on single-sex schooling, and I believe that when you are around the same sex during the time period of where your hormones are spiking, and you only have your own gender around you, you will begin to experiment. You only have one thing to experiment with. So yes, I think it does promote homosexuality.

• No Girls/boys to stare at!!!

It makes people start to stare at the same sex, thus creating homosexuality! ! ! ! ! I wouldn't want a guy staring at me in Science class... THAT WOULD MAKE ME SCARED FOR MY LIFE! SAME THING FOR MOST STUDENTS IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! GROSS!!! EWWWW! GET RID OF SINGLE-SEX CLASSROOMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Yes The Scene Is Set.

Two men I dated in their 20s graduated from all boys prep schools in CT in late 60s/early 70s. Both had fathers absent from their pre-teen years through death/divorce; strong maternal figures. Both had issues relating to females sexually/emotionally tending toward sexual stereotypes and an arrested emotional bonding. Both had a strong close male friend, also single, with which I often felt in a strange competition, and were not particularly nice to me-- bottom line. Both boyfriends eventually married (women) in late 30s/early 40s. No children. In agreement that first sexual experiences can't be underestimated as the definitive identity, The temptation to experiment in a same sex environment when teen hormones rage is the pivotal factor to those with a compromised or missing paternal relationship-- BUT it is my belief that if any person wants to change ANYTHING, if the will to change is all-encompassing-- any change-- can be permanently accomplished through the help and relationship with the Higher Power.

• Yes yes yes

I do not like how a bunch of girls are in the same school. Of course this is going to show them how to talk to the opposite sex? Like come on we don't need same sex schools here. Like get on the ball people lets do something to stop this.

• Yes yes yes

If you say no youve clearly never gone to an all girls school all your life. Highly hormonal teenage girls with no access to members of the opposite sex find themselves unexpectedly, inexplicably attracted to girls, whether they consider themselves homosexual or not. I have known many situations where people who believe they are straight suddenly turn around and start engaging in sexual activities with gay female friends. They then reach the summer, meet some boys and realise it was all a phase. When youre in an environment with so much close physical contact and sharing of feelings, hormones change your outlook on things.

• I do think so..

It is quite expected that the environment you live in, have an enormous effect on your life choices. In mixed schools, boys and girls are attracted to each other because they have contact with them.This goes for same -- sex schools, where people of the same sex are attracted to each other, not only because they understand them, but because it is human nature to love someone, and since the opposite sex interaction is limited, students(especially in their hormonal times) go for people of the same sex.
    This comment is truly not to offend anyone... Just my view on the topic :)

• You stay with the same sex for 4 years and you are also in puberty so the sexual stuff is more common

During school years you hang about with males and never see females
    and in puberty you have raging hormones which make it worst because during that time they experiment with sexuality and therefore do it with boys which leads to homosexuality and if they are around homophobic people they will get mental problems like anxiety and depression because they feel they don't fit in

• Comfort and ease is what we look for and that comes for being used to their presence

Being around other gender on a more regular basis gives the right distance and closeness. It is true that the comfort develops from acquaintance. It is for this reason that when in foreign land, people of same nationality tend to flock together. For those who are confused, they may misinterpret this comfort for their choice.

• It made me bisexual

I used to go to a same sex school. The boys were always talking about sex and teasing each other in a playful and sexual manner. It made me more attracted to other boys. I think that being around the same sex makes you attracted to them. Thanks for hearing me out

• I teach at a single sex school.

I teach at a single sex school. I am beginning to think it does promote homosexual behavior. Think about it... All their hormones are ranging, their sexually curious, and for those where there is a grey area, they get pulled in that direction. Since their first sexual experiences are with the same sex that becomes part of their identity for life.

• On the contrary I think it makes the boys and girls think more about the opposite sex because they aren't available.

I think homosexuality is something you are born with and so going to a single sex school wouldn't make any difference at all in promoting it.

Posted by: Bratzky
  • Single sex schools have nothing to do with promoting homosexuality.

Single sex schools do not promote or encourage any sort of homosexuality. Although a student who may be homosexual might find it more comfortable in coming out in such an environment the institution they attend does not push the issue upon them. A person's sexuality is predetermined by nature and not taught by a school.

Posted by: WillowsErv
  • Single-sex schools do not promote homosexuality because they have a stricter focus on academics.

Single-sex schools do not promote homosexuality. Just because someone goes to a school with the same gender does not mean they will become gay or lesbian. Often these schools have "sister" or "brother" schools that allow students to socialize with the opposite gender. Homosexuality is not something that is influenced at all by environment.

Posted by: WardGrad
  • Just because you have all boys or all girls in a school, there is no reason to assume that homosexuality is being promoted, because they spend the majority of time around their own sex anyway.

Most children spend the majority of their time playing with friends of the same sex. Girls play with girls, and boys play with boys. That's the way it is now, and that's the way it has been for a long time. This way of life has not promoted homosexuality, and will continue to not promote homosexuality. Therefore, having all boys or all girls in your school will also not have the effect of promoting or prompting homosexuality.

Posted by: MariaR
  • Single-sex schools do not promote homosexuality because it's scientifically proven that single-sex classes improve academic performance.

Scientists have proven that boys and girls learn in different ways. Being in classes with your own gender makes you feel more relaxed because you're not worrying about being judged for what you say, so students usually perform better in single-sex situations. In no way do single-sex schools promote homosexuality.

Posted by: AJermaine
  • No, because being around members of the same sex exclusively does not promote homosexuality in any circumstance.

The idea that homosexuality is promoted, or otherwise a result of situational factors or influence, is ridiculous. Homosexuality is not a choice, and the only decision that is affected by outward influences, including same sex schools, is the decision to hide homosexuality, and to attempt to live as a heterosexual.

Posted by: TownNoam
  • Single-sex schools do not promote homosexuality, just as other single-sex environments do not promote homosexuality.

Single-sex schools provide an environment for fraternizing and better understanding oneself and other members of one's gender. They do not promote homosexuality any more than co-ed schools promote heterosexuality. Other single-sex environments, such as a summer camp cabin, Girl and Boy scout troops, or even a nunnery are not considered to promote homosexuality, so why should another single-sex environment which focuses on education be considered as promoting homosexuality.

Posted by: HilN3il
  • Not at all

People use this same argument when you get raised by 2 parents of the same sex, unfortunately it simply doesn't work that way because if it did gay people wouldn't exists since they are born from straight people, same can be said about school, you see straight relationships all around you yet gay people still keep showing up because it doesn't affect them.

• Does it even matter?

I will dissect the criticism of homosexuality on multiple fronts.

1) "EWWW!!! YOUR GENITALIA ISN'T MAKING PHYSICAL CONTACT IN THE SPECIFIC WAY I WANT THEM TOO!!!" The way in which people connect their penises/vaginas isn't any of your business to know about. Would you like everyone else to stare at YOUR private sexual activity? Case and point.

--2) Even the word "perverted"... That means any sexual activity that contrasts the norm. So what you're saying is, homosexuality is bad because it's different and... That's about where your argument ends. Seems like quite a shallow reason to pick on people. Remember the days of racism, or the days we picked on autistic kids... That was their same exact reasoning. What makes this any different? Nothing.

--3) Sometimes I like to flip the situation around. Let's imagine that 98% of America were homosexuals, while the vast minority were heteros. You same people who are harassing the LGBT as being perverts... Would you start discriminating against straight people for the same reason? I mean... They would be deviating from sexual norms, so if the roles were reversed, then heterosexuals would be just as guilty.

--4) Speaking of the word "pervert"... There is a bit of hypocrisy there. These people are obsessing over sexual activity that doesn't even involve them. What kind of person constantly puts their faces into everyone else's private business? I dunno... That seems pretty perverted to me. Might want to get some treatment you perverts.

--5) With religious people like this... They're just submitting to whoever's more powerful than they are and automatically agreeing with whatever they say... Instead of looking for explanation and reason to determine their morals. Even if God exists... Whose to say that everything he preaches is right? Just because he says it is? That's not intelligence, that's naivety. You're having blind faith in whatever is stronger than you. That's like if I suddenly trusted the government, just because they wrote a book about their ideals.

--6) No religion is actually proven true in the first place. Not saying all religions are false... My only point is that it's still up to speculation. You're allowed to have faith in something... But you don't truly know until you die and see the creator yourself. So why are we enforcing our own beliefs and practices onto everyone else, when its based on something completely ambiguous. Follow your religion if you want... But other people should have the right to choose.

• Nothing can make someone gay

It is just how people are born and genes, if someone is born straight nothing will change that (but maybe they will be curious about what a same sex relationship would be like) and no more than that, just experimenting.
    I go to one and most people are straight so it doesn't really impact it as far as i know. Basically, situation doesn't change
    sexuality, people at mixed schools can be gay and so can people at single sex schools. (but you do get double the girls/boys and thus double the gay people of your gender which is pretty cool if you are gay)