• Teachers are the future

Teachers are what keep the world going. Most to all jobs require educational skills in which you will learn in school. Teaching creates all other professions. Say one teacher teaches one class of twenty students, every day for a whole school year. Once these kids are all done in school, they can all grow up to 20 amazing presidents, lawyers, volunteers, and much more! Whoever thinks that teachers don't need a raise must be a bunch of idiots. Teachers truly keep the world going. Teachers should make much more that dumb football players, because at one point in that football players life, he had a teacher that made him able to be where he is now. Think about that.

• They make the future of the 50 states.

They deserve a raise because they're teaching us students. They are teaching us difficult things, and sometimes students don't understand so they take their free time away to educate a student. Plus with the common core they have to be trained when they're supposed to be teaching. Before some students where lost now the teachers have to work even harder than before.

• Yes they do.

Teachers do deserve a raise, after all they are helping our children earn an education and better themselves. Some teachers are given a lot of harassment and have a difficult time and I think giving them a raise would help them feel more appreciated and understand why they wanted the job in the first place.

• More money is more passion for teachers

When teachers get more money they will have more passion for their job because they will want to be at work not want to be somewhere else so when they get paid more they have better mind sets about work. But if they do get paid more they may want more power which they cannot have.

• In most school districts, yes.

Some school districts take care of their teachers well. Unfortunately, this is the exception and not the rule. The majority of teachers are underpaid. People think teachers work 6-7 hour days like the kids do. This simply isn't true. Most teachers are at school 8-9 hours a day just like other professionals. However, they have a tremendous amount of work they have to take home (more so than most other professionals making a similar salary). Also, teachers don't have off every time the students do. They have development days, parent/teacher conferences, etc. The vacation time is a perk to the job, but the work they do is worth more than a starting salary of $30,000-$40,000 a year.

I'm a student teacher right now and I observe how difficult it is to be a teacher. Ultimately, though, most of us do it because we love it even though the pay isn't great. However, it's important to keep in mind that, even though we choose to teach, we still deserve to be compensated appropriately. We deserve to be able to afford to eat healthy, live in a modest home in a good neighbourhood, and drive a car that isn't 15 years old. It's just something to keep in mind because I often hear the argument "well they teach because they want to, no one is forcing them to, and if they wanted to make more money they shouldn't have become a teacher." This may be true, but just because someone enjoys their job doesn't mean they shouldn't be paid for it. Should you only be compensated well if you hate your job? The logic of the argument fails. Also, please keep in mind that we NEED teachers. Our society can't function without them. Who would train the doctors, the engineers, the scientists and anthropologists, the chemists, and writers? Society would collapse.

I think most people agree that excellent teachers should receive more raises. What we really need is a better way to assess which teachers are excellent and which aren't. Standardized testing doesn't work (for teachers or the students). It's just something really difficult to assess on a nationwide basis.

• Yes they do

Teachers deserve more pay rise because they spend more time at school then they do at home. They give us a really good education and help with every thing there is to. They deserve more money than usual because they spend more at school marking work and checking that there plan for kids gives them a happy future

• They Help Make Our Future

They DO deserve a pay raise. They are people that have a HUGE part in forming our future, because kids are the future. They are the ones that have a large part in making our kids who they are academically and sometimes personally. Teachers are a necessity to our world now because this world needs to advance every year to keep things going. They put up with more than most, handling 30 kids at a time would be no easy task for anyone. They need a raise.

• Yes, teachers deserve a raise.

I believe that teachers deserve a raise. Good teachers spend so much of their time planning lessons and learning about new content standards. They must monitor their students' progress and plan interventions if they are failing. Often teachers have to buy school supplies out of their own pockets because the districts are so cash strapped. Teachers are underpaid and not appreciated enough.

• Yes, teachers deserve a raise.

Our teachers are like another parent, only they have many more children to look out for. We are entrusting our future with them. Teacher's don't get the recognition they deserve, nor the respect. We have started to give rewards for their outstanding work, but a little more money along with a certificate would be nice.

• Yes, they definitely do in most cases.

Starting teachers make less than an assistant manager at Walmart, yet in most states they must have a Master's degree to get their license. It is a thankless job where they get no respect for the amount of work they must do, including the many hours of work they bring home each night and weekend from homework, and the unpaid hours they spend advising clubs. Even coaching high school sports, which is paid, works out to about 85 cents an hour for an involved coach. Parents don't respect them, so of course the students don't. The parents expect teachers to basically raise their children for them, pay them a low wage, then complain that we have a shortage of quality teachers. Ever heard the phrase "you get what you pay for"? How can we expect our best and brightest to want to teach when it is a maligne, difficult job for little remuneration?

I find that the majority of people who oppose higher pay and benefits for teachers have no real idea what they do or how immensely difficult teaching is. For those naysayers- sign up to substitute teach. I DARE you.

• No, Teachers do not deserve more money.

It may be different in other states, but where I live, the average teacher's salary statewide is $20,000 per year higher than the average salary of other full-time workers. Teachers in this area receive exceptional health benefits, which require minimal contributions or co-pays from them and they can retire after 25 years of service, with a lifelong pension, for contributing a fraction of their salary to a program my tax dollars must fund, in addition to their medical benefits and salaries. Let's not even get into their extremely generous PTO policies, offered in addition to the 11 weeks of time off they receive each year. I do not know many other positions that allow workers to take a total of 3 months a year off and still claim "full-time" status. Additionally, teachers in a good union are guaranteed a paid raise, each and every year. What other field would these people work in that would offer pay raises, regardless of performance or merit? I for one am sick and tired of hearing teachers complain about no respect and being underpaid. When they get a job in the private sector, subject to performance reviews and pay freezes, with 2 weeks vacation and insurance co-pays topping $50 per office visit, they can cry to me about being underpaid and disrespected.

• Only if we change the standards on becoming a teacher, and get rid of the teacher's unions.

Most teachers teach subjects they do not have a degree in. This leads to a lack of competence and a lackluster school experience. For the first nine years of my education I was stuck in awful schools. I was constantly put in classrooms with teachers that do not understand their own material enough to teach it. Lucky for me, I moved my sophomore year to a school that only hires teachers that have a masters in the desired subject. After talking to many of these teachers they say that getting certified in Education is so easy "a monkey" could do it. Not every encouraging coming from teacher's mouths.
    Another thing would be the fact that the teacher's union always gets in the way. They protect the worst performing teachers no matter what. After a teacher gets tenure it's nearly impossible to get them fired. Any negotiations of higher pay for better teachers is fought strongly by them. If you want to learn more about this I would HIGHLY recommend watching the documentary Waiting for Superman.

• No, They do not

I don't know about alll teachers, but my teachers do not seem to care. They never get work graded on time, and they never really teach anything. They just tell us to go and read the dang book and that we should learn from that. They don't stay after school to help, they want to go home. I do too, but at least I am willing to stay... My teachers don't work for their money and do not deserve a raise.

• They weren't that great when I was in school and they were overpaid then too

There isn't enough money to spoil useless teachers. They aren't doctors or nurses. I really am confused about this issue. They are acting spoiled. I don't remember any teacher that deserves more than 50,000/year. They need to get back to work ASAP and stop striking cause they're lazy. Thank u

• You don't have the facts.

As a teacher, I can say there is a horrible misconception about the hours we put in each week in comparison to the "assumed" hours and commitments that we work. Not to mention the benefits we get. I work for a private school, and after 15 years as a professor, I still only make 56,000. We have been on a pay freeze for 5 years, and our class sizes have only gotten bigger. As a teacher, you are required to meet for "contact" hours with your class, which includes lectures and demonstrations, as well as assigned, often undocumented to the public, office hours. The average hours per week an instructor works is over 50 and up to 60+. You have to be on-call for meetings during the term, often during the few hours of free time that we have. Grading and extra prep-time that is required to run and maintain the content and flow of you courses are all done while not in-class. Get it now? We do have assigned classes that meet, for example – 6 hours per class, per week. So a full-time teacher has a load of 4 classes a term. You do the math with the extra hours and commitments I mentioned. We are required to maintain an industry status and involvement in outside areas that usually take most of the weekend hours that we could be spending with family. A teacher who does this for a living does this job because they believe that they can make a difference. They don’t complain about the hours and the stresses, the fact that our job is “mentor – teacher/educator – social worker – academic planner”. They care about each student, and are there to see them succeed. Before anyone on here decides to make comments such as – “well perhaps she is not a very good teacher”, or “perhaps she can’t do a different job because her skill set and competence”, - I just want to add that I have been nominated and awarded over the years several times with accolades and awards that represent my experience, expertise and dedication to my craft and to my students. Education is changing in America, as student loans are harder to get, the economy in which we placing our students with opportunities is becoming slimmer and slimmer.

• Work all 12 months with only 3 weeks vacation

Sure if the unions are destroyed, they work a full year (that means only 3 weeks vacation), lose their amazing health coverage. For those saying they teach the youth everything, that's a laugh. My dad daughter me most everything I know. I became an engineer and actually earn my salary.

• Teachers want too much

What job other than teaching allows you to take 3 months off? Not many. Yes teachers deserve a slightly higher pay but when they ask for pay compared to doctors like 6 figure salaries thats the problem. Children are difficult to deal with understand that. However, many jobs in this world are difficult in their own forms. That doesn't mean teachers are the only ones who deserve higher raises.

• Freedom of Choice

I taught college level courses while in grad school for a science degree and have a difficult time agreeing with this argument. No, teachers should not be responsible for supplying their classrooms (schools should provide a budget based on subject taught) but in the US you have the luxury of becoming almost whatever you wish. If you are unhappy with the pay, then don't go into the field. That alone would drive up costs because the demand would increase. Teachers also get more holidays and vacation than any other profession. I am only allowed 2 weeks and work over 75 hrs a week. When you calculate rate per hour of actual work, I make significant less that a teacher with my Masters in Physics..... But I chose my career. You can too.... This is America!

• You chose teaching

Each industry has its own pay scale. The principal that because teachers work hard they deserve more could applied to any job. You can be exceptional at your job and put in extra hours by choice. However, this does not entitle you to more than what you signed up for.

• You chose teaching