• I believe they do

Some say teenagers only understand lust. I disagree. I believe they are capable of understanding both. Now I don't know exactly how it works, but I do believe that the age of understanding love comes differently for every individual, but for the sake of this argument, I think most do understand by the time they are 13 or above.

• I enjoy sexual intercourse, but i enjoy having it with who i love

The first experience of love is when you're young and in high school. Most teenagers experience their first love in high school and they don't realize it. The only reason people think we don't love in high school is because we usually find our second love when we're older and we realize that it's better than the first because it shows that there is still love after your first. When we're young, we're dumb, But I think that you can fall in love at any time in your life. You'll know when you're in true love. I did.

• Teenagers do understand love that is part of their feelings.

Teens start developing new emotions and feelings that they might know how to use better than adults. That is because the brain is still developing and they are the new future so they start understanding how the fiture is going to work out including love which is a feeling. So Yes.

• Yes in some cases.

I believe that teens can experience true love. You hear of many stories of people marrying their high school sweethearts. I am one of them. I know I am in love because through thick and thin I have stayed with my husband, we have never been in our relationship for sex (we held off for marriage), I experienced the most happiest days in my life when I was with him, I never saw any faults in the relationship etc...
    It does seem like most teens do not understand love though. I have seen many who only compete with their friends about how many times they have had sex. I believe society, music and celebrities etc, are teaching teens the wrong message. I believe they are teaching kids that love must be for sex and with an attractive person, then you must cheat and break up, you must get drunk and do drugs and have a one night stand etc... I have seen teens break up with each other because they are not cool enough or their friends don't think their partner is attractive enough... This shows that most of teens love can be considered lust. But I believe it is society that is changing teens view on what love really is. Teens can truly understand love but the vast majority don't.

• No single true answer...

I think its crazy to try and assign a single overarching idea of what teens understand to all of the young adults in the world...Obviously there will be fluctuations in teens' abilities to understand love and the way it feels. I personally feel like once they are exposed to their first true love, from then on they will have the ability to pick out the feeling of love from other feelings. Yet, it might take longer for some teens to realize and recognize that's what it is than others will.

• Depends on the person

As I said, it depends on the person.Some people mature faster than others,I'm a teenager and I can understand how much work. Passion and compassion it takes.It's not really about "understanding" it - it's more about being "ready" for it - being ready to make sacrifices, being ready to be compassionate.I'd love to have that kind of relationship - but I'm not everyone.Some people don't want to be tied down and some people just want to have some fun.With that being said, not every adult is a perfect lover either.It really depends on the person and what they learn from their mistakes.

• I think teens do understand it.

Speaking as a teenager, myself, I would think that I do know about love. But speaking for the whole group of teens as a whole, I would say that It really varies from one person to another. I don't think I'm what you would consider "your average teen". I've had experiences that not a lot of other kids have had. My life has made me grow up and mature faster than my friends and classmates.
    I agree, not all teens have a firm grasp on love, but do all adults, either? You can go outside and hear about couples who are on-and-off-again for the 3rd time. Same with teens, but the debate is stating that they're worse than adults are at understanding love.
    Final word: Teens do have an understanding of love, but it varies from person to person; just like adults.

• It seems that commenters here have never been teenagers.

The idea and need for romances established at different times fro different individuals. Generalizing that no teen can be in love is first fallacy here. Some more romantic teens feel much deeper and more innocent love than people in their twenties no longer can. The wish to become adult and live together with your beloved is very strong during teens and not spoiled by lust and responsibilities that threatens so many other relationships.

Posted by: f942
  • They are too young

Teenagers don't understand love, but they do understand lust. Their bodies are changing and they are just a cesspool of hormones. The only thing that teenagers understand is that sex feels good, they are in their most carnal state at that age. An understanding of true love doesn't present itself until later in life.

• It depends on your definition of love...

Speaking as a 16 year old boy, I can safely say that the majority of people my age and younger don't understand love on a romantic level. I know many people, including my closest friends, who will only ever go for someone who is attractive. A lot of the time I just roll my eyes when they tell me they have a new crush because it is usually on someone they barely even know and I'm 100% sure that it is because of their appearance. This isn't true for everyone my age - there are some people who seem to grasp the concept better than young adults, but by no means do the majority truly comprehend the idea of "true love". I myself have no idea what love is, and I have never believed that I am "in love" with anyone. On a different level, I think I understand love fundamentally when it comes to friends and family. I think most young people do unless they've had unfortunate lives. People often love their closest friends and family at my age and this is based purely on love. However, when it comes to relationships (boyfriends/girlfriends), they often believe that they love someone due to lust, and I worry that perhaps some of them won't grow out of it.

• Coming From a teen.....

I'm a teenager myself and I do not fully understand love and probably will not fully understand it until I am well into my 20's. I don't believe that some teens are capable of holding such feeling do to the influence that they have these days. If you listen to the "music" that plays on the radio now, it's very distasteful and anti-love. Love doesn't exist to the younger crowd, only "catching bodies" (Sleeping with many) matters. Maybe some of us are capable of understanding love but this generation makes it almost impossible to try and love do to their immature and nefarious behavior.

• I'm assuming this is about romantic love...

No. But teens do understand love. They just haven't gotten to real love for a partner because that takes years. More years than they've even been interested in romance. Check out the stages of attraction. Lust, feeling like that person hung the moon... etc. Then news flash! The lust is gone, you learn their faults and you still love them. That's love. It takes years to get there. Even for adults.

• Not enough experience.

Teenagers have never experienced love yet, so how could they understand it? Love in the teenage years is overwhelming, confusing, and most teenagers have many unrealistic expectations when it comes to love. That's why teenagers cycle through partners so frequently. As soon as one problem appears, teens think that the relationship is dead and it has to be discarded. Only with the experience of age will they come to understand what love is and how much work true love really takes.

heyfur_1213 says2014-10-02T01:02:51.203
If you have a conscious, then you can love or like. Whether you're 15 or 40. It's just there's a difference with young lovers or first time lovers, like teenagers for example, they let the love blind them. They can't make wise decisions because they let it over crowd their mind so it's not possible to make rational decisions. As for older people, they're more experienced. As a teenager goes through a couple relationships, he/she starts to understand that yes it does have its perks but as well it's not-so-great times.