Do the benefits of change brought about by revolutions outweigh the costs?

Asked by: jaehyun
  • Evolution requires effort

If there is a revolution, then there is certainly a need for change. People are not pleased or even suffer badly from the way the country is lead and this is a sign that something needs to be change. Unfortunately, no improvement happens without effort, without involvement, devotion to the cause and sacrifices. Therefore, I do not think that money is such an enormous sacrifice compared to the huge advantages a system change can bring in people's lives.

• Because I said so

Hi I am cool too yay hello man ok cause he did so did it now ok I ok I ok I ok I ok I ok I ok I ok oink says so now hi I hi I hi cool I ok loser hi ok I ok I ok.

• All for nothing.

Revolution requires money, time, resources and lives. So basically, indispensable things. For all of the effort and expenses, the outcome is not nearly as great. For this topic, you must look back into history. Lets start with the French revolution. During the about 10 years of constant chaos and confusion, thousands upon thousands of people died, ginormous debts racked up, and Frances national pride was stripped away. After many long years of violence and changing governments, Napoleon just strolled in claiming himself emperor. Lets look at another famous revolution. The American revolution was a devastating, yet quite rewarding insurrection. The American revolution took years, many lives, and billions of dollars, not to mention the thousands of sites wreaked in the havoc. This particular government change is still in place today, and made America one of the greatest countries in the world. I say has, because America is not that great anymore. America is trillions of dollars of debt and the gap between the classes is becoming so wide, poverty is rising and the people becoming more and more unhappy. Revolutions cost much that cannot be restored, and most collapse quickly.

• Industrial Revolution and the Standard of Living.

The research of economic historians, then, has altered the old standard-of-living debate. They now seek to answer not the question of what happened to the standard of living, but the question of the effect of the industrial revolution net of other historical events. For example, the positive effect of the industrial revolution may well have been offset by the negative effect of frequent wars (the American Revolution, the Napoleonic Wars, the War of 1812) and the high taxes that accompanied them. Some economic historians include bad harvests, misguided government policies, rapid population growth, and the costs of transforming preindustrial workers into a modern labor force as additional causes of slow growth. In a counterfactual simulation, Mokyr has shown that without the technological changes of the industrial revolution, population growth could have substantially reduced real income per person between 1760 and 1830. In other words, the net effect of the industrial revolution was strongly positive but was largely offset by the negative effects of rapid population growth.

• Costs of lives and future environment

Before I talk about anything else, I just want to tell you about the benefits and the costs of the Industrial Revolution. The benefits were increasing employment, wealth and access to an increased variety of manufactured goods. The costs were that the rapid expansion of urban areas meaning that sanitation within towns and cities was often very poor and resulted in the spread of cholera. Further more, smog from coal fired factories caused people to suffer from respiratory complaints and other illnesses. Also crime increased along with the overcrowding in the cities as law enforcement agencies were unable to cope with the increase in population. Now you tell me, was the benefit worth the cost? I don’t think so. This is not it; the thing is that the actual benefit for the French Revolution was practically nothing at all. The new "freedom" was really nothing more than an outlet for mob violence. People didn't do much better in food, work, or standard of living. A lot of people seem to forget that almost immediately after the Revolution began, its leaders realized they couldn't deliver on any of their promises, so to distract the common people, they declared war on just about the entire world. That means that France not only was dealing with internal problems but also war. The cost in life, money, and terror for the people of Europe was immense, so it was a pretty negative thing for everyone.