Do the benefits of having firearms in the cockpits of commercial airplanes outweigh the risks?

• Yes, having firearms in airplane cockpits would be worth it

I definitely think that the benefits of having firearms in the cockpits of commercial airplanes outweigh the risks. I think that pilots should be trained in how to use a firearm. I think that such a policy to help to deter anybody who is thinking of hijacking an airplane for any reason.

• The benefits of having firearms in the cockpits of commercial airplanes outweigh the risks.

The benefits of having firearms in the cockpits of commercial airplanes outweigh the risks. I think after the events of September 11th, 2001, it is necessary for pilots to have access to firearms. I think if pilots had access to firearms they could prevent a potential hijacking by terrorist passengers.

• Pilots need the proper equipment to protect themselves.

Yes, I do not see many risks to having pilots carry firearms with them in the cockpits. Pilots have many tools to ensure the safety of not only themselves, but their passengers, while flying. Why would a firearm be any different? It isn't. As it has been demonstrated in the past, there is a risk of hijacking occurring during flights. I feel this would make the passengers of the planes feel more secure. I feel if this was implemented, then pilots should be required to take a gun safety/personal defense course.

• The risk is loss of airplane with all lives on board.

No, they do not. I don't know why people think someone who can fly a plane is going to be any good at shooting a gun. And remember, it's not like shooting a gun at ground level. You're in a metal tube going 200mph. A bullet is not something you want in that environment.