Do the benefits of human genetic engineering outweigh the costs?

• Sure, it has risks but...

Genetic engineering can cure some diseases. Using genetic engineering you can choose your child’s characteristics. Also, detecting people that are genetically prone to certain hereditary diseases could prevent Disease. As well as preventing disease, with genetic engineering implanting genes can treat diseases. Genetic Engineering could also make you live longer. Also genes that do not work can be replaced by genetic engineering.

• A Matter of Human Rights

People have the right to be healthy and free of disease as much as possible. Genetic engineering may cure many diseases, including horrific ones such as Tay-Sach's. It would be immoral to prevent these new technologies from coming into use, because it would prevent people from being relieved of considerable suffering.

• Genetic disabilities are too common.

Genetic engineering could help those with major genetic disorders. This is very personal to me because my family is plagued with an extremely severe form of a genetic disease called Ehlers Danlos syndrome. This has made life very difficult and torturously painful for my working class family. I got lucky and it passed over me. However, my children will likely have it. After seeing what it has done to my family, if I could have the chance to take that away from my kids, I definitely would jump at the chance. I plan on having kids. The only thing stopping me is my genes.

• Genetic disabilities are too common.

Personally, I believe we need this. This is very personal to me because my family is plagued with an extremely severe form of a genetic disease called Ehlers Danlos syndrome. This is a lifelong struggle for my family and I. I was lucky and it passed over me, however my kids will likely have it. I have seen what it does to the rest of my family and if I could change my kids genes to cure it before they are born, I would take that chance in a heartbeat. I plan on having kids; the only thing stopping me is this.

• Fu fu f

Gfmgdmnhnohhokpkrjhlimb jlgnvnv vfgjvb fff fff fff ff ff ff f f f f f f f f f f f f f f f ff f f f f f f f f f f f u u u u u u u u u j iu iu u u

• 6yiiu iuy yui

Jdfk ejhg uigo gfoiusg j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j j

• 6yiiu iuy yui

• 6yiiu iuy yui

• 6yiiu iuy yui

• 6yiiu iuy yui

• What could happen?

What if Kim Jong-un gets his hands on this sometime in the future and still has cold relations to the US. Then creates a “superhuman” with two of all vital organs except the brain and very thick skin so he can take many bullets and not die? What does the USA do? What does the UN do? It would be wrong to follow his practices so we have no choice but to do nothing. These are some of but a flotilla of questions and concerns.

• Human genetic engineering is just plain wrong, regardless of the benefits.

Human genetic engineering is very wrong, regardless of any benefits that may be derived. The costs of utilizing this technology is way too high. We are messing with our creation, with our bodies, and with our futures. Altering human beings is altering our existence, and we just have no clue where this dangerous road ultimately leads.

Posted by: SAugustus
  • A dream of a world of perfection

A dream of a world of perfection, yes indeed, it is a dream, but the reality of it is far from that, the odds of genetic engineering making the human race a race of perfection is slim, 50/50 at best, God made all in creation, plant, animal, and human life, God also created bacteria and disease, to restore the balance, if there are no diseases there is no balance, the human race has gradually over crowded the earth for centuries, over population is becoming a real problem, ladies and gentlemen the it is in our nature to either get sick and die, or die of old age, perfection is in the soul, not the body

• Think of the big picture

Do you remember watching the movie GATTACA? For those who were not here GATTACA is a movie about when genetically engineering people are were a normality. In the movie Vincent Freeman has always fantasized about traveling into outer space, but is grounded by his status as a genetically inferior "in-valid." He decides to fight his fate by pur. Morehasing the genes of Jerome Morrow, a laboratory-engineered "valid." He assumes Jerome's DNA identity and joins the Gattaca space program, where he falls in love with Irene. An investigation into the death of a Gattaca officer complicates Vincent's plans. I think that what happened in this movie will for sure happen in real life if we all start genetically engineering on humans. Evolution and natural selection are the universes ways of producing genetic engineering. They have been the natural laws of the universe since the beginning of life. Humans have already removed natural selection from our natural evolution and are just starting to see the results. Millions of children and adults are allowed to survive after making bad, life-threatening decisions. If we go a step further and add genetic engineering, I believe that the universe and its balance & nature of things will toss us curve ball that could potentially render Homo sapiens extinct. History is full of people who have died fighting for people to be the way that god made them. If natural people go extent all of their hard work that they died for will be all for nothing .This is why I feel that genetic engineering on humans is wrong.

• It is wrong to use your kids as an art project or a science experiment.

Genetic engineering is the process of adding D.N.A. To a substance and tries to give it new traits. Newly introduced genes could react harmfully with genes that are already in the body. The reaction could be unpredictable, like playing the lottery. Genetic engineering is pretty much using your kid as an art project or a science experiment. Your kid could have blue eyes, blonde hair, and pale skin. You have brown eyes, black hair and brown skin. Your child could look like he/she has come from a completely different family. Nobody will assume that he/she is your child.

• Not for now

Making any one single individual genetically - altered in trying to achieve perfection might bring benefit to that particular individual. But you should bear the potential costs in mind - like the risk of perturbing our whole species in making it dependable on artificial means of survival at best... Or plainly being wrong about what constitute perfection at any given moment... We will never know until we try. And let me rest assure you, humans will try ... And the life will never be the same again ... And if we (as a species) survive that little step for 'perfection' we would hail it as the only possible way to be... So my answer will be 'no' for current state of knowledge.
    Dr. Orbital

• Think of what would happen to us.

Food. Ants reject it, cockroaches reject it, why? Because there is poison. Think about it... If the ants don't want to eat the food we eat, there must be some sort of chemical inside. And the chemical is killing us, slowly. We might not realize it but by the time we do, it would be to late. Aren't we writing a suicide note to ourselves?

• Think of what would happen to us.

• Right choice but for the wrong reasons

The benefits of human genetic engineering do not outweigh the costs but it has nothing to do with "God" or a North Korean dictator. Its because we don't understand the human genome well enough. There are hundreds of genes that control a single trait, and trying to meddle with these genes could have huge unforeseen consequences like death of an individual or extinction of the entire human population. Additionally, those without the engineering would be left behind and whoever controls the genetic engineering industry would control the world.

• People Make Mistakes...

There are many things to take into consideration when genetically engineering humans. If the person completing the procedure made even the tiniest, most minuscule mistake or left the tiniest little thing out the consequences for that child could be devastating and that child would have to live with the aftermath for the rest of their lives. They also do not fully understand the consequences of moving around and manipulating the genetic structure and trial and error is ethically wrong in humans and that would be the only way that we can truly know how it will affect us... Trial and error...

Anonymous says2013-03-04T16:03:44.633
genetic engineering is a harmless way to fix our problems, like racism
dr_orbital says2014-10-12T07:39:56.807
Dr. Orbital