Do the elections of leaders such as Angela Merkel and Michelle Bachelet signify a major step forward for the rights of females?

• This is a sign that women or being respected as leaders

Yes, I believe that the elections of the women such as Angela Merkel and Michelle Bachelet shows that those that re voting have a greater respect for women as leaders. Women are not new to rights in this day and age, but they are still subject to the glass ceiling affect, so this is a move in the right direction.

• They have paved the way.

Yes, the elections of leaders such as Angela Merkel and Michelle Bachelet signify a major step forward for the rights of females, because having a presence in the highest levels of politics inspires future women leaders, and also takes away their excuses. Margaret Thatcher is another great example of woman power.

• Yes It Does

I believe the elections of leaders such as Angela Merkel and Michelle Bachelet does signify a major step for the rights of females. To me, as a 30 year old American women, I look up to these officials for their position in life. The fact that they've obtained their status through elections is miraculous to me.

• They represent major steps forward already taken.

In both instances, they are from countries that tend to be fairly progressive when it comes to rights. So I would say that their elections are not a major step forward. Instead, they are signs that the major step forward has already happened, and that womens rights are accepted as part and parcel of mainstream culture.

• Female rights already are strong

The election of female world leaders like Angela Merkel do not signify a major step forward for the rights of females. Ladies already have strong rights, especially in developed countries of the world. People are elected by their positions, not what se they are. This argument does not need to continue.