Do the family members of terminal patients have a higher approval rating for euthanasia than the general public?

• Dignity in Death and Quality of Life

Despite great advances in medical knowledge, dying is still far too often a prolonged, painful and distressing process for both the individual and their family. For many that suffer from terminal illness or severe disability it is not dying which worries them; it is the fear that their death will be long and they will suffer. A good quality of life is what people on their death beds are looking for. It is about giving an individual what they want, giving them control. What a person wants most for them and their family is to feel comfortable, happy and sound of mind, so that their last moments are not emotionally and physically agonizing. Dying with dignity is an organisation partnered with Our Last Right and Australian charity that seeks legislative changes to enable those suffering unbearably with no reasonable hope for relief to have, if they wish, access to a medically assisted, quick, peaceful and dignified death.

• Give back dignity

I don't want to be remembered as a person with an illness. I want to be remembered for the person I was before the illness. I can understand if my loved ones feel the same way and I would want to respect their wishes regardless of how sad I would feel with their death.

• An act of mercy

It would be extremely hard to actually have a stance on this. I guess the argument varies from case to case, however, if someone is terminally ill and/or can no longer live their lives properly and are in great pain, then I believe that it would be an act of mercy.

• Try watching your personal hero die slowly and miserably

For 13 years I have watched my brother go from all star high school athlete and punk rock bad ass to a child like 30year old. He doesn't always remember me. He is physically unable to eat even though that's all he wants is just to taste something. Most of the time he isn't strong enough to walk or speak, and lacks the motor control to do so consistently. When he can speak his brain is scrambled and cant choose the proper words . I watch everyday as he tries to eat imaginary food, or pillows, or he tells the dog to bake him a cake and gets angry when the dog ignores him. Before last year he was very messed up but was semi-functional after a seizure everything changed. I'm 29 and help my mom everyday change my 30 year old brothers diapers. This is a man despite all his problems still refused to admit anything was wrong and did everything by himself. He could find the good in anything and anybody . Now he gets stuck in loops like a broken record telling me "save me" or "we're in hell" for minutes at a time, and that's when he's lucid. You try being a proud independent person and then being forced to rely on your little brother to wash your genitals. Yes I believe in euthanasia when there is no other hope. There is nothing wrong with mercy. What's wrong is forcing patients and family suffer through a living hell for no reason.

• Of course we do.

I have had personal experience with this on my own. My younger sister has been terminally ill for quite some time with no cure in way anytime soon and she wishes nothing but death upon herself. Where we live, euthanasia is not yet legalized so we cannot fulfill his dying wish and it kills me on the inside each and every day. I am not cruel in wishing death death upon my beloved sister, I am exactly the opposite of that. I am generous. The pain and suffering I see her go through each and every day is nothing that a young lady her age should ever have to endure, this keeping her living a life of pain is nothing but pure torture for her. The government should be ashamed of forcing people to have to live such a life.

• I believe families who have terminal patients have higher rates of support for euthanasia, because they have encountered the experience, first-hand.

Families who encounter terminal illness are more likely to support euthanasia. Terminal illnesses take a heavy toll on families and individuals. They are often forced to see a loved one suffer through pain, and this is very difficult. Many families, after these long illnesses, desire an end to the suffering. And, this makes them more likely to support end of life options, like euthanasia.

Posted by: InnateCarrol
  • I think that these family members understand what the right thing to do is, more than other people that are not in this situation, because they are closer to the patients involved.

If one person gets to know someone well enough to know them as family, they almost get to the point that they can feel each other's pains. So, when a family member falls ill enough to want or need euthanasia, they know and feel their pain. Therefore, I believe that family members better know what their own family members need, more than the general public.

Posted by: BryanPeterson
  • Yes, because it's hard to negatively judge euthanasia until you are faced with it, like these people have and do.

Families with terminally ill relatives have to watch them suffer every day, and sometimes live slow painful deaths. If someone in the general public has not had to experience this, it is easier for them to look down on euthanasia. If people put their animals to sleep when they are suffering, why can't we do the same for a loved one?

Posted by: CeIIoBurke
  • I do agree that families who deal with suffering approve euthanasia more than the general public, because until you see someone suffering, you can never truly appreciate death.

I think that, until you see someone suffering and spend countless hours sitting in a hospital next to someone in immense pain, then you can never truly appreciate death. People, in general, are programmed for self-preservation and not many people think about illness and death, unless they are face to face with it. It's an out of sight, out of mind type of thing. There are times when death is a good thing, and I just don't think the average, happy, healthy person can approve of something they don't understand, as much as someone who is watching a loved one suffer.

Posted by: 5h4bbyHaIey
  • Yes,family members should have a higher approval rating for euthanasia than the general public.

We all hate to see our loved ones suffer. If we know the outcome is going to be death and that the patient is suffering and the idea of euthanasia has been discussed and approved for all those involved, I see no reason why the public needs to get involved.

Posted by: StripperMor
  • Should not be allowed in the medical field

I am very much opposed to euthanasia in the medical field. Our healthy loved one lost her life to euthanasia. It is dangers to many lives. The staff can drug someone who is elderly into a vegetative state and say that they are end stages of dementia and have no quality of life. The doctors are allowed to decide who they need to euthanize.This happened in a state where euthanasia is illegal. I would like to see medical staff who participates in euthanasia to be put in prison. It not only takes the lives of people who want to continue to live, it ruins the family's lives.

• I believe that most people have their opinions on euthanasia already formulated based on their personal values, before they ever meet with the situation of having a family member in terminal condition.

A person's opinion on the morality of euthanasia is usually formed by their social and religious values. It would be a rare instance, I believe, in which a person facing the demise of a relative would change their views. If anything, facing down a decision of whether to allow euthanasia would steel up their beliefs, whether they were for or against it. If a person has a strong religious belief in the sanctity of all life, and that no human should make a decision to end another's life, then they would likely view such a decision as a test from God. On the other hand, a person who believes that it is best to allow a person to die with dignity and minimal suffering is likely to remain firm in their convictions, when faced with a relative in terminal condition.

Posted by: HurtHeath52
  • Family members of terminal patients probably have the same percentage of approval for euthanasia as anyone else because there are many factors that play into this decision, such as a religion and personal opinion.

Parents of terminal children can sway in either direction on the debate about euthanasia. While some may think they would be sympathetic toward their children and want to see them not suffer, others will fight and do anything possible to keep their child alive and would not be for euthanasia. Also, many other things could play into their decision, such as religious beliefs, other situations in the family, and the specifics of the illness.

Posted by: EImerN4th
  • Yeh but still

Y e h b u t s t i l l v n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n v v v v vh h h hh h h h hh hh hh h h h h h hh h h h h