Do the lyrics to R&B artist Robin Thicke's controversial hit "Blurred Lines" promote rape?

• Um ya duh.

Clearly there are many examples of song lyrics and videos, not to mention headlines in pop culture that are degrading to women. This is just another. But that's the problem. Just another. Enough already, why do we continue to go backwards in terms of social progress? I've had enough. I'm tired of thinking, hey catchy tune, just to listen to the lyrics and be disgusted. I'm not turning a blind eye anymore. I don't care how catchy the tune is, if it's offensive, I'm not listening.

• Our blog piece backs it up

Check out our argument on our blog The Scribbling
    "I think this is a song that promotes male behavior in our culture that does not need promotion. We do not need more images of men out there as creatures only looking for one thing from those they encounter. You can love flirting, but that does not mean you have to want sex from everyone you flirt with." - http://catharsisproductions.Com/blog/2013/08/01/blurred-lines-rape-culture/?Utm_campaign=blurredlines&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post

• Yes they do

Yes, I think they do. The lyrics to R&B artist Robin Thicke's controversial hit "Blurred Lines" promotes rape because the song basically consists of him singing "I know you want it" repeatedly into a woman's ear. Although the song is catchy, the underlying theme being promoted is that no means yes.

• Read the lyrics

The lyrics say "I'll give you something big enough to rip that a** in two." It also mentions a man pulling her hair. The meaning behind the song is she says no she really means yes, this may lead to rape. The song talks about dominating a woman... It's hard to tell what he is saying most of the time but the lyrics are in there. The woman never asks to have sex, she's saying no but the man does. This song does promotes rape just listen.

• In a sense

I suppose they do, but not rape, all he's doing is boasting that he can attract females, by being the alpha-male, it shows how he visualises women in a sense, and is exploiting his only goal in life: to mate with other attractive females, by trying to come across as the best there is.

• Have you read all of the lyrics?

Really, that's just sooo cute that he says he will give her something to rip her ass in two? How would you guys like him saying that to you? Too many women have paid the price for having guys project their fantasies onto them without their consent or desire. Date rape is quite common.

• It does promote rape, even if that's not what the artist intended and is influencing our society for the worst.

Makes sense that so many people would tolerate a song that most likely condones rape when over 78 percent of the population's spiritual beliefs stem from a book that says "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body."

• Song title says it all.

Rape culture is already prevalent enough in our society without giving it catchy tunes to help it along. The video for this song is a bunch of women wandering around naked while the male singer (dressed in suits) proclaim that despite outward appearances they really want a night of wild sex.

"You know you want it" - no-one should ever assert that they know better than someone about what that person wants. The whole carefree way this message is presented is damaging and horrifying.

• The blurred lines are between rape and consent

It does not matter if other songs also have sexist lyrics, this song definitely does. "I know you want it" is not something you say to a woman who wants to have sex with you, otherwise she would be saying it, not you. Some people may see it in a "teasing cute way" but it is reenforcing stereotypes of women being vulnerable (and in the video naked) whilst men have all the power. Other songs are also demeaning to women, and we should also be talking about that. It is just that this song and video have been so blatant (as well as Robin Thicke's comments he made afterwards about how he was jokingly being derogatory to women) that made it stand out and cause uproar.
    Songs like this may not promote rape, but they create a culture in which it is tacitly condoned and we should attempt to condemn anything that encourages this condonation.

• It's all in the lyrics

I'm used to videos having semi naked women nowadays, that didn't bother me at all but pulling on hair is a form of stopping women from escaping, we're actually told not to have our hair in pony tails because it's easier for a rapist to grab. The suggestion of tearing her a** in two also creates the image that a woman is being forced into sex. And being forced into sex is rape.

• Nobody is to blame for rape but the rapist.

Literally nobody. Not the music the rapist listens to, not the movies he watches or the video games he plays, or the books he reads. And, it's also not the womans fault for what clothes she was wearing. Sure, if a girl is wearing revealing clothes, a guy might want a slice. But it's not the womans fault. Even if a song is directly sexist and objectifying of women, it doesn't mean it's promoting rape. And before people start calling "Feminist!" I'm a dude.

• Is this for real?

I am under the impression that normal people can listen to a song promoting sex and having a good time (because that is essentially what this song is talking about) and not turn the words into rape. Words to a song won't make a man go rape a woman (or vice versa) the same way a violent song or movie does not make a person go out and hurt someone else. Those thoughts and behaviors are already within the person that acts them out! The person that has no thoughts of raping another person isn't listening to this song and saying "you know what, I think I am going to go out and rape somebody now"! Give me a break!

• It doesn't promote rape.

This song isn't any different than the majority of popular songs about sex. Women are not victims - there's lots of examples in media where women are seducing an apprehensive male. The only thing this song is guilty of is being another boring, bland, generic, uninspired top 40 hit. The whole 'rape' theme has been blown out of proportion by modern feminists.

• No it does not

Throughout the lyrics, he may sound dominating but that has nothing to do with rape, that has to do with sexual preference. Saying "I know you want it" is not promoting rape either. That is simply trying to convince her, and what guy who wants to sleep with someone doesn't try convincing? That is still not rape. No where in the song does her say "I'm going to pick you up throw you in the back of my car, lock my doors and have sex with you against your will." I agree that yes tge song is rather creepy, but it doesn't promote rape.

• It's About Empowerment

The reason this song is so controversial is because it's coming from a guy and the video shows nude women. The truth is if a woman said something like "you know you want it", it would be considered sexy. A male says it and it's promoting rape? Unfortunately, I've actually experienced sexual assault and I'm not offended by the lyrics. The song is talking about women embracing their sexuality. Men like sex, well so do women. It's just more taboo for women to be sexually aggressive. If they are, those women are called sluts. All humans are sexual beings and it is "in our nature." Just because a song uses suggestive or seductive lyrics, doesn't mean it's promoting sexual assault. People love controversy,especially the media and they will create it wherever they can.

• No. Read the lyrics--all of them.

The singer is trying to convince a woman to leave her controlling boyfriend. The "blurred lines" and "I know you want it" lyrics are about the woman's conflict between giving in to her desires and being a "good girl." There's absolutely nothing in the song that advocates sexual assault--actually what comes through in the lyrics is admiration for the woman's sexuality and independent nature. Seduction isn't the same thing as coercion.

• Its a song!

There are worse lyrics in other songs and they are not mentioned. People should not be so touchy and get on with there lives. The people complaining are sad and pathetic, it is a very good song. Most people just listen to it and dont read to much into it. ITS A SONG!

• Are you kidding me?

The arguments that I've seen on the "for" side are asinine at best. Pulling hair and smacking ass is rape? It means that she doesn't want it? That's a laughable premise. I pull my wife's hair and smack her ass every week. I love her and would do anything for her, but she likes her man to be a man in bed. The entire concept that a man being dominant in the bedroom is somehow not only degrading to a woman but linked to rape or force is nonsensical. It's literal nonsense.
    "I know you want it" insinuates that no means yes? What song are you listening to? This is a classic case of people reading their own agenda into lyrics. The song describes a woman whose behavior is indicative of someone who is sexually attracted to the singer in numerous lyrics.

How about the line, "That man is not your maker" Although I don't promote infidelity this lyric shows Thicke doesn't believe a man can tell a woman what to do. This is the nail in any argument that tries to say this song in any way implies that no means yes.

Please go away now.

• Lets put things in perspective

Why is everyone getting so worked up about this song? When you pull one line out of song you are taking it completely out on context. So a guy takes a misogynist point of view in an up beat catchy tune and we are throwing statements at him such a promoter of rape. Where are our angry feminists when a 16yr old girl puts out a music video wearing sexy revealing clothes and rolling around like a cat in heat? Should we be stating she is promoter of pedophilia? NO we don't! Were is the uproar when rappers call their women bitches and yell death to cops? NO WHERE. Blurred Lines is a tounge in cheek catchy tune that makes reference to playful naughty rough sex and nothing else. I am far more offended by the women promoting us all as nothing but sex objects then the men who reference the fact that they do

• Not at all

To me it sounds like the song is talking to young sexy women who got married too early and fell into the typical role of a wife. The song is embracing her sexuality and telling her to look for what she actually wants saying her last partner is too square. She needs someone to give her a bit more fun in the bedroom. That's all.