Do the lyrics to R&B artist Robin Thicke's controversial hit "Blurred Lines" promote rape?

• Um ya duh.

Clearly there are many examples of song lyrics and videos, not to mention headlines in pop culture that are degrading to women. This is just another. But that's the problem. Just another. Enough already, why do we continue to go backwards in terms of social progress? I've had enough. I'm tired of thinking, hey catchy tune, just to listen to the lyrics and be disgusted. I'm not turning a blind eye anymore. I don't care how catchy the tune is, if it's offensive, I'm not listening.

• Our blog piece backs it up

Check out our argument on our blog The Scribbling
    "I think this is a song that promotes male behavior in our culture that does not need promotion. We do not need more images of men out there as creatures only looking for one thing from those they encounter. You can love flirting, but that does not mean you have to want sex from everyone you flirt with." - http://catharsisproductions.Com/blog/2013/08/01/blurred-lines-rape-culture/?Utm_campaign=blurredlines&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post

• Yes they do

Yes, I think they do. The lyrics to R&B artist Robin Thicke's controversial hit "Blurred Lines" promotes rape because the song basically consists of him singing "I know you want it" repeatedly into a woman's ear. Although the song is catchy, the underlying theme being promoted is that no means yes.

• Read the lyrics

The lyrics say "I'll give you something big enough to rip that a** in two." It also mentions a man pulling her hair. The meaning behind the song is she says no she really means yes, this may lead to rape. The song talks about dominating a woman... It's hard to tell what he is saying most of the time but the lyrics are in there. The woman never asks to have sex, she's saying no but the man does. This song does promotes rape just listen.

• In a sense

I suppose they do, but not rape, all he's doing is boasting that he can attract females, by being the alpha-male, it shows how he visualises women in a sense, and is exploiting his only goal in life: to mate with other attractive females, by trying to come across as the best there is.

• Have you read all of the lyrics?

Really, that's just sooo cute that he says he will give her something to rip her ass in two? How would you guys like him saying that to you? Too many women have paid the price for having guys project their fantasies onto them without their consent or desire. Date rape is quite common.

• It does promote rape, even if that's not what the artist intended and is influencing our society for the worst.

Makes sense that so many people would tolerate a song that most likely condones rape when over 78 percent of the population's spiritual beliefs stem from a book that says "Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body."

• Song title says it all.

Rape culture is already prevalent enough in our society without giving it catchy tunes to help it along. The video for this song is a bunch of women wandering around naked while the male singer (dressed in suits) proclaim that despite outward appearances they really want a night of wild sex.

"You know you want it" - no-one should ever assert that they know better than someone about what that person wants. The whole carefree way this message is presented is damaging and horrifying.

• The blurred lines are between rape and consent

It does not matter if other songs also have sexist lyrics, this song definitely does. "I know you want it" is not something you say to a woman who wants to have sex with you, otherwise she would be saying it, not you. Some people may see it in a "teasing cute way" but it is reenforcing stereotypes of women being vulnerable (and in the video naked) whilst men have all the power. Other songs are also demeaning to women, and we should also be talking about that. It is just that this song and video have been so blatant (as well as Robin Thicke's comments he made afterwards about how he was jokingly being derogatory to women) that made it stand out and cause uproar.
    Songs like this may not promote rape, but they create a culture in which it is tacitly condoned and we should attempt to condemn anything that encourages this condonation.

• It's all in the lyrics

I'm used to videos having semi naked women nowadays, that didn't bother me at all but pulling on hair is a form of stopping women from escaping, we're actually told not to have our hair in pony tails because it's easier for a rapist to grab. The suggestion of tearing her a** in two also creates the image that a woman is being forced into sex. And being forced into sex is rape.

• Is this for real?

I am under the impression that normal people can listen to a song promoting sex and having a good time (because that is essentially what this song is talking about) and not turn the words into rape. Words to a song won't make a man go rape a woman (or vice versa) the same way a violent song or movie does not make a person go out and hurt someone else. Those thoughts and behaviors are already within the person that acts them out! The person that has no thoughts of raping another person isn't listening to this song and saying "you know what, I think I am going to go out and rape somebody now"! Give me a break!

• Nobody is to blame for rape but the rapist.

Literally nobody. Not the music the rapist listens to, not the movies he watches or the video games he plays, or the books he reads. And, it's also not the womans fault for what clothes she was wearing. Sure, if a girl is wearing revealing clothes, a guy might want a slice. But it's not the womans fault. Even if a song is directly sexist and objectifying of women, it doesn't mean it's promoting rape. And before people start calling "Feminist!" I'm a dude.

• Of course not!

Surely it obvious from the lyrics that the girl is coming on to him (grabbing him and such), but there are "blurred lines" to her intentions!?

Rather than promoting rape, I think that the song conveys the all to often situation when you have girls grinding against you and acting provocatively, who then back off when the man makes a move.

• It's very clearly about an affair.

Take the time to actually read and interpret the lyrics, and any idiot can deduce that the "blurred lines" are those between right and wrong, NOT between consensual sex and rape. In fact, the line "go ahead, get at me," puts the ball in the woman's court. If she wants to "get at" him, she's free to do so. If she doesn't, he'll turn his attention elsewhere. He's not saying she HAS to do anything.

• I'm so sick of this debate.

Read all above. And as for the "tear your ass in two" line...Obviously you would not know this because everyone saying yes is obviously too conservative for hip hop music. THIS IS A COMMON PHRASE IN HIP HOP. It just means "good sex" god forbid a guy wants to give a girl good sex. Let's persecute him for that. Get over it.

• Of Course Not

How on earth do you people come up with this nonsense? Why on earth would a dumb pandering radio song be about raping women? Listen to the lyrics.
    The way you grab me
    Must wanna get nasty
    Go ahead, get at me

The last line is key. "Go ahead, get at me" Why would a rapist tell the girl to go ahead and make a move on him? He is putting the ball in the girl's court. He is saying "You are clearly attracted to me, go for it. It's your move"

No where in the song does it say the girl is not flirting back. No where in the song does it imply the girl is being held against her will. No where in the song does it say the girl has not consented. The song is clearly not about rape.

• Subjective lyrics "Blurred Lines"

As a feminist who is well versed in rape culture, I can see where the idea of the lyrics promote rape culture. I can also see how he used language that a rapist used on their victim. However, rapists have said everything from "you're a good girl" to "I love you" to "Happy Birthday." The lyrics that say "the way you grab me, must want to get nasty" can work for or against Thicke's case. The way you grab me could've been referring to his shoulder or his penis. However, you won't hear many feminists speak on how this woman that he is referring to established physical contact with him as well. It's all about context and I don't think that the song promotes rape culture. It could be about how he perceives a woman's attraction to him based on her actions.

• Read ALL of the lyrics

Chances are, people who voted yes, skipped the 1st verse and simply picked a bunch of words out of context and stretched it even further to suit their agenda. Yes the song is sexual, yes it does seem a bit creepy, but it doesn't promote rape. The song is simply about a man trying to persuade a woman into leaving her controlling boyfriend and she's torn between being a good girl and giving into her desire.

• It doesn't promote rape.

This song isn't any different than the majority of popular songs about sex. Women are not victims - there's lots of examples in media where women are seducing an apprehensive male. The only thing this song is guilty of is being another boring, bland, generic, uninspired top 40 hit. The whole 'rape' theme has been blown out of proportion by modern feminists.

• No it does not

Throughout the lyrics, he may sound dominating but that has nothing to do with rape, that has to do with sexual preference. Saying "I know you want it" is not promoting rape either. That is simply trying to convince her, and what guy who wants to sleep with someone doesn't try convincing? That is still not rape. No where in the song does her say "I'm going to pick you up throw you in the back of my car, lock my doors and have sex with you against your will." I agree that yes tge song is rather creepy, but it doesn't promote rape.