Do the words "under God" belong in the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance?

• Becuase we have the right to believe in God

Instead of one pleadge of allengence we can have two. One with the words Under God In It we can have one without the words Under God. I say this not just out of free speech but out of my belief in God
    and I say this for my school and country.

• It should stay!

The first amendment protects freedom of religion and the freedom to express it. By removing the "under God" you're not only offending more than 80 % of Americans, but also violating the freedom to express the their religion in the pledge of allegiance, therefore I agree that people shouldn't be forced to say it if they do not wish to. That is why it is not required to pledge your allegiance to the flag or the country or to God. By keeping the "under God" in the pledge and the freedom to not say the pledge works for both sides of the argument, you allow believers to express the religion , and the non believers are given the choice if they wish to say it or not.

• One nation under God. Why Not?

Saying "under God" is completely harmless. The only ones that would be harmed are the ones that don't believe. America is truly one nation under God. What do you explain our motto... "In God We Trust" it's on the dollar bill. Our song, God bless America. I understand the original pledge was written in 1892 and didn't include "Under God" but it's not a religious statement more like a statement about our American. You don't have to say but it's completely harmless.

• We are all under god

The words under god should belong in the pledge because it shows that the United States are protected be God and that the United states believes in god. Mostly we came to this country for religious freedom so it is reasonable that the words should be in the pledge.If God didn't look upon us our nation would go down.

• We are all under God no matter what.

We are all children of God, and are therefore all under God. The Earth is God's Nation, so whether or not we are all Christians we are all still "under God". Even if everyone doesn't believe in God, there is a God and God is real, thus the words "under God" do belong in the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance.

• Pledge of Allegiance

Yes, in my personal opinion, I do think that the words "Under God" should belong in our United States Pledge of Allegiance. It has been and always should be there. Religion was very important when the Pledge was written. We should not change the Pledge at all and honor our country.

• Yes - For All Time

Yes, the words "under God" belong in the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance. When our great nation was founded, religion was a strong and very much accepted part of life. The pledge, as it was written, brings certain feelings with it that makes one stop and think – you cannot say the pledge without thinking about those words and what they mean. We do not need to change the pledge – we need to honor the pledge and go back to having some of the awe and reverence that the pledge inspires.

• I do believe!

I believe! Sure, I may not be religious, but I do believe that everyone has their right of opinion. By taking out the words "...Under God...", in the pledge, takes away their rights and freedoms granted by the First Amendment. If you have a problem with it, find another country who cares less about religion.

• Yes of course

I think that we should in my mind because originally when the first settlers came over they came because of religious persecution and they wanted nothing to do with that. Hensthforth that we were built on the idea of God. When we say the pledge of alligiance we aren't praying to God, we aren't even really worshipping Him. But if people have a problem they can move to a different country because that is the way America was built. No one said that it was the rule to say it, they don't have to mean Under God when they say it, just say it to respect your country, and if you don't respect America then get out.

• If you don't believe it, DON'T SAY IT!!

Ok so let me start off saying that I am a chatholic and some of the Christian beliefs I don't support. But I believe that the under god part isent for Christians. I've spoken to some prists if different religions and they say that the under god part goes to all religions. Weather your Christian and believe in god, or Muslim and believe In Mohamed, there is a god for every religion. So my message to you atheists is that if you don't believe in any god then don't say that part. You dot have to take it out for everybody!

• Should the pledge of allegiance be restored it's original form without the words "under god ? Yes !

If you are pledging our nation as a nation "under god" you are saying you agree with the monarchy of the kingdom of heaven which is the enemy of democratic republican government. By removing the words "under god" you allow the mind to create a strong understanding that we do indeed live in a republic. We do not have a king and therefore should not adhere to the principles of the kingdom of god as the authority for our national interest nor should we pledge allegiance to our enemies .

• Delete "under God!'

The "under God" statement in the pledge of allegiance doesn't belong there because not everyone in the United States believes in God and worships a book of lies. So I don;t really think that it should be there. An atheist shouldn't have to say the pledge of their country and have to make adjustments.

• We Are NOT One Nation Under God

It is unconstitutional to have it in our pledge. We are not a christian nation, and many supporters of this do not acknowledge that there are many atheist americans who don't want to say it.

'Under God' was added in the 1950s as a rebuttal against communism. Now it seems ironic saying 'indivisible' after it when it clearly separates creationists from atheists.

• Unconstitutional, incorrect, hypocritical

Preface: I am Christian.

-Freedom of religion. Imagine if we had to say "one nation under Allah" and send our kids to school saying that.
    -It's not accurate. Many Americans aren't Christian, many aren't affiliated with religion.
    -It's not original--it was added in the 1950s by Eisenhower for pure political reasons (a statement against atheist communism).
    -It defeats the rest the pledge. "Indivisible" is cancelled out when you say that only one religious group is truly patriotic.
    -The MINISTER who wrote the original pledge did not include "under God"
    -Thomas Jefferson feared this exact thing--"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

• Religion should not be in government.

Not everyone is religious and or have a God that they worship, and since the pledge is recited in most schools, I feel that it violates the separation of church and state. If "God" was removed, then the Pledge of Allegiance would no longer be a biased document, until then, it is a violation of church and state.

• The First Amendment

There is a thing called the Establihment Clause and we also have freedom from religion. Having a national motto be religious, as well as a state-supported pledge having God in it goes directly against the First Amendment. If a government rejects its own rules, that is tyranny. What was the point of the Magna Carta if we make exceptions in clear rules to privilege the religious?

• The words under God do not belong in the pledge or allegiance.

I myself am an atheist and I think it is offensive that they are forcing our kids to say something that most of them don't believe in. And I think that it is one of the many examples that the government doesn't treat non-Christians fairly because only 40% of Americans identify themselves as Christian but they won't bring up this problem because out of the 535 people in senate and the House of Representatives combined only 2 are not Christian so I think the reason why we still have under God in our pledge of allegiance is because of unequal representation of anyone who isn't Christian

• Separation Between Church and State

As the United States of America, we are to have separation between church and state. This is because it is not right to force a believe into the pledge which is recited everyday in our culture, without regards to what religious we may believe or not believe in. Same goes for mentioning God on anything else that supposed to represent our nation. I have no problem with freedom of religion but you certainly have no authority to force that onto someone else.

• Freedom of Religion

When the pledge was written in the late 1800's, the phrase "under God" wasn't included. It wasn't until 1954, a few years after the Congress and Supreme Court adopted it, that the phrase was added. While I come from a religious family, I believe that the phrase takes away our freedom of religion. Not everyone believes in a God, or the same God, and we must learn to respect that. Making an atheist or a Native American say the phrase is like making a Jew honor Hitler.