Do think the speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr. were responsible for the violence in Selma, Ala.?

• Causes an uprising

Yes, I think that the speeches Martin Luther King Jr. gave caused the blacks in Alabama to want to do something to help their cause. Since they are not very smart, the only thing they knew to do was acts of violence, that actually did not help them out at all.

• Of course they were responsible.

He went from city to city preaching equal rights and non-violence, but riots occurred in many of those same cities shortly after his visits. Did he have a right to go? Yes. Did he have a just cause? Yes. Did he know a riot would likely happen after his visits? Yes, he saw it happen time after time. If you keep leaving the keys in your car and it keeps getting stolen, will your insurance company believe you are not responsible?

• No I don't.

I do not think the speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr. were responsible for the violence in Selma, Alabama. I think it was the people themselves that were responsible for the violence. Many times people try to blame things on things like speeches. They do this to avoid taking responsibility for their own actions.

• The speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr. were not responsible for violence in Selma, Alabama.

Free speech is guaranteed in the United States. All citizens should cherish the ability to speak their opinions and beliefs freely. Likewise, all citizens should support the free speech of those with opposing viewpoints. It is never warranted to justify committing violent acts due to the ideas and words that were said by another. In an open and free country the debate and exchange of ideas should be valued. In totalitarian countries speech that is deemed undesirable is often met with violence. Blaming Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speeches for the violence that was committed is something that would be done in totalitarian countries that do not value free speech.

• Judge Caused The Violence

I do not believe the speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr. were responsible for the violence in Selma, Alabama. I believe the violence can be blamed on the judge who issued an injunction that barred any gathering of 3 or more people affiliated with the SNCC, SCLC, DCVL, or any of 41 named civil rights leaders. It was this interference that lead to the violence, not the actions of Martin Luther King, Jr.

• Prejudicial white people were responsible for the violence in Selma, Alabama

Martin Luther King, Jr. did not encourage violence. He encouraged peaceful opposition. He supported peaceful demonstrations and marches. The white people in Selma, Alabama began the violence there. The protesters were trying to make a statement not start a riot. The long-held prejudices of the white people in the south and the mob mentality that ensued were the cause of the violence.