Do US schools spend too much money on special education programs?

• Yes, considering that handicap people are less likely to contribute to society.

As the handicap and children with learning disabilities are less likely to be successful in life and/or contribute to society, spending huge sums of money on special education programs is just a waste of money. In addition, a lot of handicap people (such as those suffering from Spina Bifida and Down Syndrome) generally live short lives, so investing in their education is like burning money.

Posted by: FeIBuddy
  • Two teachers for 3 children. It happens.

I see it every day and it sickens me. That money should be spent on accelerated programs for the real gifted students. We are competing with
    the world. We don't have money to have teachers baby sitting children who at best when they are 18 they might be able to tell blue from green.

• There's no point educating those who cannot learn

We spend 11.98B dollars per year educating those who will never become productive members of society. If parents want to pay to send their disabled kids to school then they can do that but we should not as a country send those who cannot learn to school. This is pointless.

• Stealing from the future achievers

When most of the funding goes to kids who will have a minimal chance of success in higher education and you are taking from those who will be real contributing members of society, there is something wrong. It is no wonder that the US is lagging behind in science...High standards are claimed but high quality education is not possible with soaring class sizes and one size fits all. Train the slow kids how to do meaningful work that they will need in order to hold a job and give a quality college-bound program to those who actually have the intelligence to do so.

• The Silent Majority Needs More

While the ADA of 1990 was a great achievement for human rights in the U.S. And I supported it, now as a parent of regular kids in public school, I am aware of how big their classrooms are compared to the sometimes one-on-one attention kids with disabilities are getting. It is just a question of balance and we are currently,due to our laws, out of balance. Districts are afraid of getting sued if they don't comply and offer expensive accommodations for kids with disabilities. Apparently parents of regular kids can't sue if they raise the class size to 35 kids to 1 teacher. We need to have an honest conversation about what is a good spending ratio for kids with special needs in comparison to other kids. I'm thinking $2 to $1 limit on the special needs.

• Why this country is falling apart...

I am currently working in a public school where 20% of our students are considered "Special Ed." While only a handful have severe disabilities, the school provides personal aides for the majority of these kids. They get FAR more resources than the regular ed or gifted students. I think most people voting NO have never truly seen the day to day routines of a school from the inside. It's saddening to watch my school try to "bring the bottom up" and celebrate mediocracy while ignoring exceptional students. Some of these severely disabled children need to learn basic life skills in an outside facility. Public schools should not be expected to provide all of these pricy accommodations for only one part of the student population. Like another user mentioned, most of these students are not going to be productive members of society no matter how much school assistance they receive.

• Way too much

Without a doubt. Those that are saying no have never been in a school and seen the amount of time and money spent on a single child with a severe disability. It is ridiculous. I'm not talking about students with just a learning disability, I'm talking about severely disabled children who are "entitled" to a free appropriate public education. The problem is "appropriate". We spend a ton more on these students to give them their "appropriate" education - most with their own full-time SPED Aide to walk or push them around all day. Our school is almost to the point where there are more Special Ed Aids and teachers than there are regular ed teachers. How is this helping the other 95 percent of the students?

• There is no return on investment.

The average school right now is crippled with debt. They can't afford textbooks, sports teams, teachers, computers. At my school we have 20 year old textbooks for kids. They are falling apart and almost unusable, our computers are from 1998, are sports teams and school clubs cost a ton of money to join, our classes have over 30 kids each in them.
    The kids in special education have a 1 to 7 student teacher ratio, they have special buses, they have craft supplies, they have special format books.
    Per special ed kid we are spending far more then a normal ed kid.
    Ultimately there is not enough money to go around and funds need to be cut somewhere. Instead of cutting funds to the regular students, students that will be the future work force, the future of America we should be cutting funds for the special ed kids. Kids that even after considerable investment will still barely be able to function in society.
    Educating special ed kids is a complete waste of money.

• $36000 a year is spent on special education program.

I am a regular education teacher that has a district that averages $9500 spent on the average student. There is a program at our high school that spends $36,000 a year for students ninth grade through AGE 22!!! To teach them how to work. They could spend 8 years in this program for a total of $288,000 per student. Now tell me that would not be better spent on general education students who graduate at age 18 with a total of $38,000 spent on them over 4 years. And they wonder why I get upset when denied a $700 request to cover all 144 students I teach.

• They spend way too much

The kids in special ed cost almost three times as much as other normal kids. This is just ridiculous. For the really disabled kids this special ed stuff is basically glorified day care. Just send them to a real day care for a tenth of the cost. The amount that some of these kids cost to educate is just as much as a normal person's job makes. This is a ridiculous amount of money.

• The question itself is deflecting.

Public education is woefully underfunded overall. Asking whether special education programs are overfunded is deflecting and clearly indicitive of partisan think-tank propaganda. All questions put forth in a public forum must be carefully scrutinized to separate the wheat from the chaff so-to-speak. I personally was in both the gifted and the special education programs during my K-12 career. The reasons are likely clear if you've read this far.

• NO!

Special needs students are just as capable of learning as any other person. Handicapped or not, how would you feel if your child was disabled and someone had sid "oh, theres no hope for that child..just push it aside" By not giving special needs an opportunity thats what you are doing.

• No, they are spending too little!

I am a gifted student who used to participate in all sorts of competitions and other excursions which challenged me and helped me to reach my potential. Now, my school receives no funding for our gifted program, thus almost all competitions have been closed and we do not receive any transportation for any of our events. This is not fair to us students.

• No

Teachers are forced to push a child forward regardless if they are comprehending the material or not. There is a state standard to pass and that's all that matters. Special education classes are given more materials to help them learn. They need this! This helps them grow mentally and emotionally.

• More Money for Special Education

Regardless of whether or not a person has a disability, they deserve the same chance to an education. It's sickening to see that some claim that this money is a waste! Although these students may be at a disadvantage, they should receive the same opportunities. Students who require special education could definitely go on to contribute to society.

• No, US schools should spend money on special education programs because all children deserve a chance.

Given the development and explosion of technology in the last two decades, there are tools available in special education that can make it much easier for those teachers to help disadvantaged students. With the right tools and training, almost any child can be taught at least the basics needed to function somewhat independently. The more a young person can be guided to contribute to society instead of becoming a burden on the safety net, the better for us all.

Posted by: FlakyHerb64
  • If anything, we do not spend enough, because it is ill-advised to put a price on education, because education, itself, is priceless.

We do not spend too much on special education. Special educators are not paid what they are worth, and they are expected to do more and more on less and less every year. We need more special educators, so students would get more undivided attention. We need more programs and learning activities to provide these students with every opportunity to learn. To cut spending on special education would be to cut the opportunity for a fuller life from the kids that need it the most desperately.

Posted by: QuarrelsomeAlbert70
  • America should teach and spend money on all types of students, not just the normal ones.

America is falling behind other countries in our education system. One of the reasons for this is the education system that we currently have, in which students are brought to the norm. Poor students are taught and brought up to the middle ground with their peers, while exceptional students are not given enough information to continue to be exceptional. Money should be spent to help the slower students stay on pace with their classmates, and money spent should actually be increased to help our exceptional students catch up to the scholars from overseas.

Posted by: LongBo86
  • U.S. schools do not spend too much money on special education programs because these children do need additional attention.

Every child has an equal right to get an education. Some might not function as well as others, but they should be given a chance. Children that are in special education do require a bit more attention then other children and this does cost a bit more. Because of this, it is fair for schools to spend extra money on these children since otherwise they would just be neglected.

Posted by: eyeslikethat
  • No, the U.S. schools do not spend too much money on special education, because it's likely that special education inherently requires more funding.

I think that if we do not know the need for special education, then it is hard for us to understand the need for it. Sometimes, a student may be struggling, and that special education is really what he or she needs in order to succeed. Obviously, the cost of something different is likely going to be more, and that may be one of the reasons we think special education needs more funding.

Posted by: StripperMor