Do violent video games cause kids to be more violent?

• Isnt it obvious

As an employee of an Game/Technology store Ive observed the behavior of the kids that come in to buy violent games like Grand Theft Auto 5, Call of Duty, and etc. ; and I've realized that those kids are blankley rude , spoiled and violent. I agree with research and the media , certain violent video games impact many kids behavior today

• You bet it does.

First we need to discuss those who can not control physical violence and those having violent impulses. This is the old school-shooter argument: "he was such a sweet kid, I thought he would not hurt a fly until he gunned down 26 people". We all have violent impulses, yet most of use choose to restraint ourselves, sometimes we need a little venting but without hurting anybody else, but a few of us do cross the line and hurt someone. I do not see any substantial difference, just a matter of degree.

Based upon that premise, I'm strongly convinced kids do become more violent when exposed to violent games. We all have that little dormant seed: we can choose to bury it or nurture it. A kid playing a mad killer in a game dreams he is that killer (it has to be that way, otherwise the game would mean nothing and nobody would play it). That teached him that human life is not worth squat and that the best way to solve a conflict is to blow the other guy's head to smithereens. I'm not saying that the moment he turns off the Playstation he'll punch his mom in the face. But everybody processes the information we get, and what he just got teached him to be a savage. Even if he makes it through high school without blowing anybody's head.

• Depends on the kid.

If the kid knows what the difference is between reality and gaming, they would have a lower chance of getting violent. Those kids know what they're doing and have a limit made in their heads. But on the other side, kids play and swear to older players, do not know what they're doing and sometimes think:"Why not do this in real life?" thats a huge difference. I, am myself a kid and my friend once tried to get me playing counter-strike, i asked permission and my dad said a straight no and im glad he said that because i am not the strong-minded person i was talking about. But why would you play a game with a straight 18+ sign on it? It is obviously for a reason to be there.

• In some cases maybe

I blame the parents for not being strict enough to monitor what in the heck their kids are playing in the first place. Hello! They only put a gigantic rating on the back of the game so you can see for yourself if its too violent for your kids. Most games today are not for children , yes including COD.

• It depens on the player and the reason of playing

Some people play for fun, while some as a stress relief. For the fun part, either the person is being wowed by what is happening, or there's a deep desire to engage in the acts, which I think is unlikely. For the stress relief part, I would compare it to letting your anger out on a pillow.

• I don't think video game are the main cause

It'snot only the video game fault.If you think video game are the main cause then it mean you are dump. You better open you eye and see the reality. There are many reason that can cause kids or even adults to be a violent person.Mainly comes from parent. The parent don't teach their children what's right or wrong so when the kid grow up they become aggressive and violent. Also there are many parent that abuse their own child and violent inside the family. Other factors such as mental illness,depression and personal problems can also cause violent. Video game are only small factors that can cause violent. If video game really teach people to be a violent person then why crime rate has drop so dramatically since video game industry? Many scientist and data crime claim that there is no link between video game and real word violent. But you just need to careful. I agree it can cause danger. However it depend on the people behavior when the expose to media. If we solve problem such as mentall illness,depression and parental abusement then video game is not dangerous anymore.

• I don't think violent video games can cause one to be violent

Playing violent games provides a healthy and safe outlet for children to explore rules and consequences of violent actions.

It truly depends on the person becaus one can see the game as something fun but another could view it as a way to get ideas for violence. But this does not neccessarily cause a child to be violent.

I myself play violent video games but I never actually connect the games I play to the real world.

• Only affects a few

I have been playing violent and semiviolent video games for years. I have not shown being some overly violent person though maybe a little bit of evil genius. It may affect a select few which may already have mental problems or violence issues. It also doesn't really affect the majority of people.

• I play them and I haven't killed anybody.

I'm a younger person who plays M rated games intended for 18 year olds. I've been playing games like this since I was 10 and it hasn't increased any violent behavior in me. Yes it desensitizes children to violence but that does not mean they believe it is the okay thing to do. I've read articles about games disrespecting women and how it will result in boys abusing and being mean to girls. I personally have a very happy and successful relationship with my girlfriend and never have I mistreated her in anyway accept for maybe small teasing about what bands she thinks have hot members. Furthermore, people do stupid things and they happen to also play violent video games. What about other forms of media such as crime shows which demonstrate what problems police int he field face, possibly providing insight on how to avoid police. Video games are also good ways of relieving stress. If I'm upset I can join an online game of Call Of Duty and, yes, kill other players. It relieves stress and gives a feeling of satisfaction when my team wins. As I stated, I don't act anymore violent then children who don't play video games possibly even less given that I can use the games as an out lit. I also know many people who wouldn't even be able to accidentally harm someone without feeling completely guilty and I play some of these violent games with them. The fact id the games are fun and that there isn't really any evidence to prove a direct link between children and video games making the more violent.

• Quite the opposite.

When I was a kid, I was bullied a lot. I mean, a lot. Naturally, for most people, this probably would have ended up in violence at some point. However, I usually was able to contain myself until I got home and played games like Mortal Kombat or Doom. I got out all of those violent desires when I played those games, and, when I was finished, I felt more relaxed and at ease.

I am now a grown adult, and I hate violence. But do I still play shooters or fighting games? Of course I do, just like I did when I was a kid. I didn't go around and start fights when I was a kid, and I don't do it now. Correlation is NOT Causation.

• Of Course It doesn't

I am a very heavy gamer and I play shooter and fighting games all the time. But never have I had the urge to pick up a gun and go shoot a bunch of people. To blame video games is to use a scapegoat for those who can not take responsibility for themselves. If a person blames a video game, it is a simple fact that they can not see the fault within themselves. And if people truly believe this, then perhaps parents should stress to their kids about how much different the virtual world is from the real world.

• Video games do not, whatsoever, cause violent behavior.

I have two points to make on this.

First is that if violent video games makes kids violent, why don't business games like Monopoly make entrepreneurs? If video games manipulated kids that easily, then what is the point of 12+ years of school when a kid could play Monopoly a year and become a CEO? Humans know the difference between virtual and reality at a very young age. That goes to say that you don't give your 3 year kid Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 or Battlefield 4. Many people underestimate human intelligence and believe that humans can be easily manipulated. If human intelligence was easily manipulated, then we would have a very sophisticated and technologically advanced world.

Second, wouldn't violent video games reduce violent tendencies? I can be a hot headed person if the situation arises which is pretty occasional, but when I have that urge, a game like Combat Arms per se, would calm those urges since it would release whatever anger I had into the game. Violent video games may cause people who are mentally unstable to be more capable of killing since they have done it before but at this point, if a person is mentally unstable to the point that he could or have killed someone, he should not be playing a game but seeking rehabilitation or if in solitary confinement.

• I don't believe violent games increase violent behavior.

I've been gaming heavily for as long as I can remember, some very violent and other games not so violent. Despite that I have always been a very shy, non-violent, fairly passive guy.

I'm a fan of first person shooting games, I love the tactical element of these games and the competitive element of competing with other teams in various scenarios. The very fact that guns and bombs are present within the game is fairly irrelevant. They're just tools through which you engage in competition in said game, or the medium through which you can beat the AI if it's not an online game.

Violence in video games generally is just a reflection of the violent society we live in.

However, of course there are mentally ill people who likely have difficulty in determining the difference between a video game and reality, but that same person could just as easily be influenced by a movie or other form of entertainment. People in that mental state require help and supervision, it's not a video game issue to begin with.