Do violent video games contribute to youth violence?

• Violent video games contribute to youth violence.

It has been shown that violent video games can encourage young people to act violently. Children are immature and they cannot always tell the difference between real life and the fantasy world they see in video games. Many kids unconsciously become violent after repeatedly seeing violence on the video games screen.

• Mirror neurons Working

Mirror neurons are brain cells that act for peoples' empathy to other. In video games, people have a chance to kill people or other creatures within feeling empathy to those who are killed. If people play video games a lot, it desentizes their mirror neurons and people think killing's fine.

• Yes, they do contribute to youth violence.

Have you ever watched a child play violent video games? If so, you probably know that after a while of playing they start to think they are actually in the game and sometimes they almost lose their sanity, example: DIE! DIE! DIE! Something you would usually hear them say. I believe that killing is wrong, and therefore they should put a higher age rating on violent video games

• Children lose their sense of reality vs. Fiction

As a parent who recently removed rated M games from our home due to aggressive behaviors in our 8 year old, I believe that his obsession with Call of Duty, Modern Warfare, and other first person shooter games did in fact contribute to his aggression towards his family. Most importantly, himself and his 3 yr old brother. I believe that his lack of reality-based cognisance led him to make decisions to lash out not understanding that this is real life.

• Omg the ignorance

There have been tests upon tests done with the result being no, video games do not make kids more violent. If the game is poorly coded, or unfair, then possibly, but that is beside the point. I wish the ignorant new how to educate themselves on this matter, so annoying.

• Would You Kindly...?

All media has influence, and while the majority of young gamers are not obviously affected by violence in gaming, direct exposure to "rated-M" material can yield devastating results when introduced to an emotionally disturbed or imbalanced child.

Parents should use careful discretion when deciding whether or not to allow violent games for their children, taking both maturity of the child and level of violence into consideration.

• Yes it does.

Kids who play the violent games are pretty violent they talk about shooting people and guns also killing people. I have heard people a.K.A young kids talk about killing shooting and other violent things. I think that violent games can contribute to youth violence and kids can be more violent.

• Indeed videos are one source that contribute

I work for LAUSD with middle school. I work with a bunch of boys right now and most of them love playing video games where there is a lot of killing and violence. One of the first things that comes out of their mouths is how easy it is for them to kill, shoot or beat someone up. Some of them even pretend like they are holding guns, and they point them as if they are shooting at a target. Please do not tell me that violent video games do not have some kind of negative effect on them. Everything has some kind of effect on a person and because video games are what is consuming their little brains right now and for a long time to come then that's what is going to contribute to their behaviors good or bad. I truly doubt if it will be good though.

• Violent video gaming affects our youth by desensitizing them and causing what is termed "compassion fatigue" supported by many studies.

Study published in the April issue of Youth Violence and Juvenile Justice examined the level of video game exposure for 227 juvenile offenders in Pennsylvania. The results show that both the frequency of play and affinity for violent fames were strongly associated with delinquent and violent behavior. The results of this study is not definitive, but does clearly show that it is a risk factor. It has been decided that video games do affect social outcomes.

Data from 98 independent studies with 36,965 participants revealed that for both violent video games and pro-social video games, there was a significant association with social outcomes. Whereas violent video games increase aggression and aggression-related variables and decrease pro-social outcomes, pro-social video games have the opposite effects. These effects were reliable across experimental, correlative, and longitudinal studies, indicating that video game exposure casually affects social outcomes and that there are both short- and long-term effects.

The vast majority of social scientists working in the area believe that violent video games can be harmful. There are reasons to believe that violent video games are even more harmful than violent TV programs or films. Data has shown in several studies that children who were randomly assigned to play a violent video game or watch someone else play resulted in particularly the boys who played much more aggressive than were the boys who merely watched.

• Violent video games can train youth to be killers in a way it lets them know violence is acceptable.

Violent video games teaches youth that violence is an acceptable conflict-solving strategy and appropriate to achieve his/her goal. There is not only one way to prove that violent video games are causing young youth to be so violent. Studies show that the bullying at school is even increasing because of violent behavior some say they learned it from playing a violent video game like for instance(WWE SMACK DOWN, CALL OF DUTY BLACK OPS).

• Video Games Dont Kill! Lag Does!

I play violent videogames And I Dont Want to Repeat anything I see, Nor do the games Put in a Crazy or Grumpy Mood. But What does get Me and Other People Mad Or Angry Is the Thing called "Lag" Where the game Slows Because of certain Reasons. Thats what is Making Our country violent.

• No They Don't

The idea that violent games create violence is the opposite of my theory. I believe that violence is vented on violent video games when played; to play these games lets anger out and for me at least replaces any violence and anger with just a fun happy mood which both i my brother and most of my friends agree.

• Video games are not the cause, it's their freinds

I am a teenager who plays violent games all the time, and am the nicest person around. The video games do not contribute any violent tendencies towards me whatsoever. I do however always play my games alone. My brother however always plays his video games with his friends, and he has a few minor violent tendencies that are normal, and ill language. I think that when he is online and talking to his friends he ends up being able to say whatever he wants to them and they are unable to do anything about it, or at least until the next time they meet. He started learning the ill language from his friends when he started playing video games. Though now that language is now a social norm for most who play with their friends.

• Violent Video Games are Only a Part of the Bigger Picture

Violent video games are not the only factor that contribute to youth violence. There has been much debate about an increase in playing violent video games leading to violent behavior in children. This is not the only factor involved. We live in a violent society, which promotes barbarism and violence in controlled settings, such as sporting events, movies, and video games. All three of these, plus comments from the media, promote violent behaviors, if children were susceptible to these in the first place.

• No they don't

Teenagers in general are very apt to risky behavior that is sometimes seen as violent. I don't think that video games can be seen as contributing to teen violence. I would say that parents need to monitor what their kids play and what the ratings on the games are for them.

• Violent video games do not contribute to youth violence.

Violent video games do not contribute to youth violence. Most children who play these games know that what they are playing is complete fiction and has no influence on the real world. I think it should be up to the parents to be able to judge what games children get to play.

• Video games create "rage" not acts of violence.

As a gamer myself and someone whos listened in on others get killed in various violent game titles. I can honestly say games make players rage (being mad at themselves for failing, the "slow" internet connection, their team mates for not doing their job, or at the game itself for being broken). I have NEVER seen someone play Grand theft auto and then later go outside to commit the same crimes they just did in game. I love grand theft auto but i would never even consider killing someone just for cash.

• Violent Video Games Are Awesome!

Violent Video Games do NOT Contribute to youth violence. Every little boy already loves to fight....They all love rough and tumble play. In my opinion, violent video games take the place of physical violence . Also, if all violent video games make your child violent, then all sport video games make your child great athletes!

• I am perfectly fine.

I play violent video games all the time, I am not violent at all. I never bully, I always act appropriately. There is nothing wrong with me, I am not affected by violent video games at all. I play first-person-shooters and I never get tempted to attack people at all.