Do we have purpose? (take this however you want)

Asked by: Itani
  • An Atheist also has purpose

In fact, I suffer from the problem of having too much purpose sometimes. I unfortunately was given too many talents to fully realize them all in one lifetime. I don't have the time or need for a God to give my life meaning and value; I have plenty as it is. Perhaps a God is really only useful to those who have a deficit in this area.

• We Were Made to Love God

Our purpose to love and praise God. The Bible say's God created us all with Free Will, the ability to choose to obey or not obey. This is because had we no free will from him, we would be an unable to love him back as the computer or phone you are reading this argument from is to love you. So to fulfill our chief purpose we are able to choose, so that we are able to be a relationship with the one who created us who is the center of everything

• Everything has a purpose including you and a rock.

When a person gives birth, their purpose is to give birth, when someone drives a car, their purpose is to drive a car. (you get the point) I believe that purpose is something you do, if you were not meant to do it, you wouldn't be doing it. A rock's purpose is being a rock, its purpose is to just stay there.

• I don't believe there is an end goal.

Our body is built to reproduce, we have hormones that incline us to and we have a mindset that encourages it. Although we live in an evolved society where we are smarter to have kids at more mature ages as opposed to teenage years. No matter how hard I look at it you have to say our body is built around the concept of reproduction. If you are wondering rather about the end goal and not about what we are built to do, that is for the individual to decide. Is there someone you would like to help? Maybe you want to get a high paying job? But is there an overall end time goal for humanity. I don't believe so.

• Not acknowledging your purpose is giving up.

We all have a purpose, whether your an atheist or religious follower. I am an atheist, and even though I believe there wasn't some magical force who placed us here for a reason, our purpose is clear. We need to do something that makes us happy, and that helps other people. Not realizing your purpose is like saying your not supposed to do anything with your life. In a sense, it is acknowledging that you do not have the capabilities to fulfill your purpose. We all can do great things with our lives, it is just about how much determination you have to get there.

• No We Don't

Humans do not have any purpose; we don't need to be here, we just are. No matter how successful you are and what you choose to do with your life, you're still going to die. Over time, any traces of your existence will fade, and in the grand scheme of things, the world won't have changed. Yes, the little decisions you make everyday have an outcome, but looking globally across history the of time, nothing really would have been different if you had or hadn't existed.

• No reason to think there is a purpose

Let's face it, people are good at finding purpose when in reality there is none at all to found. There is the issue of how purpose can be measured or even at least can be supported with good evidence, people who object to this by saying that purpose can not be measure. The problem with that reply is that things without evidence can be dismissed without any evidence.

• Purpose is a lie we tell ou selfs to feel better

You see we all got what I call a life trap, a gene deep certainty that things will be different… that you’ll move to another city and meet the people that’ll be the friends for the rest of your life… that you’ll fall in love and be fulfilled/ find purpose… fulfillment… and closure whatever the those two empty jars to hold this storm mean. Nothing’s ever fulfilled, not until the very end. And closure. Nothing is ever over. We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, that accretion of sensory experience and feelings, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everbody's nobody.

Posted by: hect