• Define "the right"

A sentient being has the right to do almost anything they want. Sure there are consequences but they have the right.
    Personally I wouldn't abuse an animal because that would be cruel and against my nature. However, I would and have killed an animal that is to become my dinner.
    To kill an animal and eat it is to me part of the cycle of life. It has become to easy to take supermarket meat for granted as if it were never an animal or alive.
    I keep chickens and it is wonderful to see that they have unique personalities. I mostly have them for eggs tbh but on rare occasions I do kill one for food. It can be hard but reminds me that I am dependent on this earth and am no more superior in that regard than a fox.
    Animal cruelty on the other hand I find upsetting. They are alive, they do think to some extent and they feel fear. I do feel as we are the most intelligent species on the planet we should have a duty of care to all living things on this earth. While not thinking we are above them. To become the stewards of the earth and care for it.

• Do we have the right? That depends on three things.

The first: Is the animal a threat to your survival? The second: Is the animal, once dead, going to be a food, weapon, clothing, or shelter source to you? And the third: Is the animal in enough suffering that you would be helping it by killing it? Animal abuse is the worst thing I can think of that would make human survival less worth it. An animal should never be abused, and we should only kill them if the result falls into one or more of the three things I mentioned. Animals are meant to share this world with us. Is it not our duty to protect them?

• Never inflict unnecessary suffering

Never wound what you can't kill. If in animal is in terrible pain and has little to no chance of recovering, then the humane thing to do would be to euthanize it. But under no circumstances is it morally acceptable to abuse or torture animals. Animals can suffer, too and deserve our moral consideration.