• We DEFINITELY live in a partiarchical society!

We live in a partiarchical society because the majority of world leaders are men. According to Center for American Press, "Of the 193 countries recognized by the United Nations, only 12 have a female head of government (Prime Minister, Chancellor, or some Presidents)." Since so few women control government, men make most of the decisions that effect the world. Therefore, we currently live in a partriarchical society.

• Radical Feminist Doublethink

Despite the fact that more world leaders are male, women seem to have more power in the first world as of late. They make up the majority of voters, including those that elect the world leaders. Essentially they choose to have men lead them. Since women make up the majority of voters, they have the most power.

I once saw a video in which a radical feminist admitted that we don't live in a patriarchy, but that you have to keep two seperate thoughts running in your head and understand that there is a patriarchy, although there actually isn't one. Doublethink much?

• Not anymore from my sphere of observation

Being that my wife holds the senior-most administrator position of her organization (at 40 years old no less), and more women hold her position than men now in B.C. (Canada), I can't see how the old patriarchy argument is grounded in reality. In fact, I believe the top 4 senior administrative positions in her very large Government organization are all held by women now. That sounds like a Matriarchy if you ask me - yet I have yet to hear of any men whining and complaining about the "injustice of it all" within the organization as women might do if the situation was reversed. In my world, patriarchy is a phantom of the past that no longer exists today.

• No... Just no

The same people preaching about the patriarchy are the same people who have never lived in America before women were given voting rights. The same people preaching about the evil of men in America are the same people that never experienced true sexism and patriarchy in Middle Eastern countries.

Women have all the same rights and opportunities that men do. In fact- they usually have more due to affirmative action. If you want to get a job- the fact that you're a women (especially if you're in a "male-dominated" field) will help you. If you want to go to university- there are specific scholarships for you! If you need support- there are gender specific programs for you.

Now how again do we live in a patriarchy?

• Same Opportunities Available

Nowadays, women in the U.S. have the same opportunities as men. Some of the studies on pay scales HAVE to be off, because everywhere I turn, in my field, my supervisors are women, my female co-worker with less time and less experience and less favorable actions at work and less time actually being at work (sick, etc.) gets paid about $10,000 more than me...I could go on. The women who challenge or compete for higher paid positions often beat out a lot of men---the ones that actually WANT TO compete Some women who work and give birth get paid time off or time off without repercussions, whereas men are barely NOW getting the same or less time off for family bonding.

In the past, undoubtedly it may have been a patriarchal society, but nowadays, NO. As time goes on it become more and more fair or geared toward women. Do men treat women unfairly or badly when they are in positions of power? Now THAT is the argument that should be debated.

• Maybe women should take some initiative.

There's nothing worse than a woman complaining that men make up the majority of one type of job or position in society then when asked why SHE won't try and get that position, she says "it's too much work/doesn't appeal to me." You don't think it's possible at all for men to just be more inclined than women to move up into positions of power?

"I don't want to be CEO, but that isn't the reason other women aren't. It's not like it's personal choice or anything."

• Just look at laws and government.

Lots of things in our society is geared towards the protection, and disproportionate support of women.

Education, and the way exams are sat and lessons taught are geared towards girls, as results are showing.

Alimony - a ridiculous theory that once the contract of marriage is ended, that a man must continue to support someone he has ended economical ties with.

Children - 95% of all court cases for children are won by women, regardless of who would be better at raising there offspring, when in actual fact if you look at over 70% (numbers much higher in some states and countries) of youths in prison, were raised by a single mother.

Welfare - a massive proportion of state funded welfare and money and support goes towards women.

Domestic abuse and other criminal activity - statistically women are favoured when it comes to sentencing, receiving lower sentences for the same crimes, a higher percentage get away with the crimes, escape jail, and other social factors mean men who are the receiving end of the same sort of crimes such as domestic abuse are unjustly ignored and even laughed at.

The power to claim 'sexism' such as the comment to the left of me, claiming women not in power is sexism and means we live in a patriarchal society can be countered by the fact that the majority of very intellectually clever human beings are men. (proven NOT to be by unbalanced education as again education is geared towards women)

A MANS PERSPECTIVE - You are born to a woman, many men, to a single mum without a dad, which has horrific consequences on its own. You are raised by the woman and her friends, you are schooled by government schools catered for girls, and raised by teachers who are almost all women, the same as you go through higher schools, it is only in the highest of educations such as university and colleges that this imbalance switches, and most will also note that this is clearly beneficial, alot of other authority figures in your life are woman, so if your lucky enough not to be raised by a single woman, hit or abused by these women, then you are still geared towards being controlled by women. No wonder some men fight back, and if you put this into perspective, and perhaps empathise, then this looks more of a MATRIARCHAL society, and even more so every year. All this and I haven't even touched on 'feminism.'

• No, We Don't

If we lived in a patriarchal society, women would not be permitted to be leaders at all. This is clearly not the case. Women hold political office, social roles, family leadership roles, and on the whole, have the same rights that men do. The only actual patriarchal societies that exist in the world today are those countries that actively discriminate towards women and bar them from leadership roles.

• There is no Patriarchy

America simply does not have a patriarchy.
    If we had a patriarchy, then

- why do men spend fifty percent more time in jail than women for the same crime?

-why does the court system favor women over men?

-why do women make up 65% of the voters?

-why is male genital mutilation without consent legal, but female genital mutilation is totally illegal?

-Why is domestic violence against men not taken seriously?

-Why can white women practically get away with murder?

The answer: because we don't have a patriarchy.

If we truly had a patriarchy, then women would have no say in government, and all sexism would favor men and victimize women. The reason there are more men in office is not because of sexism, but because voters (65% women) voted them into office because they thought they were the best person for the job.