• Yes, we do

Maths is everywhere around us, so we need to have at least a badic knowledge if it. When people get older, they have to manage their finances, furnish homes, helping kids with MATHS homework, which all involves maths. Imagine if maths was never taught? We wouldn't know how to count, we'd be short on people such as doctors and chemists because those subjects require maths, and we wouldn't understand how money works. We need maths.

• We need maths because its good for when you are older. You need math to get a job. Also need math to get through school.

We need maths because its good for your health and also good for you to get a good Jove also need maths to get a diploma and if you have a diploma you can get a job and not one that is at McDonald's you need math to now how to count how much things are.

• Without Math Would you Imagine

Oh so you dont want math ..... Because internet is there you say actually every time you type when you push a button on your keyboard it triggers something under it then a little bit MATH which the CPU does then put some information on what you type on your screen well without MATH we cant just type unrealistically .....Oh well a computer is programmed which is used with a tons of work by MATH

• What an interesting maths-debate

My my my what an interesting maths debate this is this is a very interesting maths debate i think i would find use by looking at this maths debate and maybe using some of these maths debate points because they seem so very much interesting to read am i rite. I enjoy maths-debates ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• What an interesting maths-debate

• What an interesting maths-debate

• Math helps students learn to think logically.

I am fully aware that many of the things you learn in high school mathematics will never be used literally in a direct application. BUT, hear me out, the process of learning math is extremely beneficial to students for the rest of their lives. It introduces basic and important tactics of logical reasoning and critical thinking. Something any good, well paying job calls for. Unfortunately, I do think some classes are taught in a way that doesn't help student much, because the teachers simply force their students to memorize formulas and regurgitate them without actually learning how it works, or what is happening. This is also a reason many people dislike math. But again, this process of learning how to learn concepts, self teach, and understand complex logical concepts helps people succeed in whatever they might do in the future.

• It's not learning math, it's the principle behind it

While there are some important jobs that involve math, many jobs don't. Learning math itself isn't the important part to me, it's the principle behind it. When you are in school and you can encourage yourself to learn math you are proving to yourself that you can do hard things. You are expanding your knowledge and telling your brain that it can learn new things, that it can learn many things. You train your brain to learn quickly and effectively.

• Why you should ask! [great minds always say to question things, and literally everything]

I will be honest, the answer to this question is very arbitrary. Is the question asking whether math should be part of the regiment provided in public education? NO. Is it asking that kids be forced to learn math? NO. The debate is simply asking this, do 'we' need math? By we I'm assuming the "world" in general. Remember, mathematics is a very special field, and in the public eye, we view math as more of an academic subject. Mathematics is indeed a subject, but it is not confined to academics or schools, it is part of our world. The answer to the question is YES... Oh my goodness YES, YES, and YES! Our world needs it, especially to those who study Engineering and/or Science. In addition, learning mathematics for it's own sake is a statement that suggests that yes we need math. HOWEVER, to those people who say they do not need math... They are quite right. Most people will learn, even without a teacher, how to add, subtract, multiply, divide, use fractions, and percentages. That really is all the "math" a person living in this world would need to get by. Does all of society need to know every branch of mathematics, heavens no! We do not need everyone to know algebra, trigonometry, geometry, calculus, discrete mathematics, topology, differential equations, linear algebra, abstract algebra, analysis, statistics, graph theory, and many other fields (it is endless). Individuals all have different sets of interests and skills, and NOT ALL are interested in advanced level mathematics. I should also say, very basic arithmetic can be learned if one needs it in life. But as the question is worded, "Do we need math?" Yes we do, as a society we need it, it helps build technology and save lives. But if we reworded the question, "Does everyone need to learn mathematics?" That would be a totally different debate. I do agree with people who dislike or have no interest in mathematics to say "I do not need it." THAT is perfectly acceptable. They know all the math they need to get by, and they do not need more or less. If an individual chooses to learn more, then good for him/her, the pursuit of Mathematics should be filled with joy and an internal fire, not poked with a stick to learn something that is esoteric and meaningless of an individual human being.

• This is too easy

Why do we need math you say? Well if you don't think we need math, I'm going to need you to throw out your computer. I'm also going to need you to throw out your phone, TV, radio, car, or anything electronic for that matter. The list really goes on and on. Most modern amenities that I doubt most of you "math haters" could go without are the result of brilliant mathematical minds. I honestly feel like America is so lacking educationally because people view math as such a terrible thing, when in fact it was one of the most useful discoveries of humanity. So yes if you think math is irrelevant, please stop using all the products that would not have been possible without mathematics. Otherwise, move on with your life.

• Maths cannot help

When has maths stopped you from getting a job, never it's unneeded to the world, they should be teaching you the dangers of men instead, men are well known for raping innocent women everyday, maths won't help that! Society is putting education in the wrong place, we need to stop rape, not learn maths!

• Why should math exist?

Why can't people leave life simple and happy without getting into all those details of life? No one asked to have math class at school and not every job has math required in it. I want to be a writer and why should I need to know math just to write a book, publish it, and life's good with a bunch of money?

• Math Is Largely Unnecessary

Yes, basic math and number skills are crucial. Fundamental addition, subtraction, multiplication and dvision are useful skills that adults in modern society will use. But a lot of the higher level maths that are being taught in High School and beyond serve no purpose. Why should an English Major be stuck taking something like Trigonometry or Geometry- something they will never use. It's not about being "well rounded" as some might tell you- Forcing students to take a class they have no interest, use or passion for not only hurts them, but dilutes it for those who really do need and use it, like engineers and others that need those higher level maths for their job. 99% of the "average" world has no use for math beyond a basic level, and to continue to try and believe otherwise is not a belief rooted in reality. Why continue wasting the money, time and effort for an exercise in futility? Rote memorization and "teaching to the test" is only contributing to the problem.

• Math is stupid

Why should I need to learn to count? To add or subtract, to measure things, to think logically? Because we have other people(and the internet) to do it.
    Math, though a necessity to the ever-increasing mental capabilities to man, can be avoided by living a simple, but productive life.
    There's no need to think logically, to measure or build things? We should just go back to medieval Europe times (keeping the internet of course), and at the same time become a Soviet collective farming society, and just let a handful of geniuses do all the math, and you know, forward-thinking. After all, doing math is a whole lot worse than being drowned in a lake because someone accuses you of witchcraft.
    Lose math, and you lose logic among the people.
    But it's okay, we'll still have the internet.

• I don't think we need math

We need math only when we are going only in few specific career directions like Engineering or some other shitty job where we need math. If a person is planning to do Law then there is no need for him to study higher Math in school. The basic math is necessary to maintain civilisation but the higher Math like trigonometry is really unnecessary.

• Yes and No

Well of course we need math to function as a society. But I don't find it useful for me. We are learning all this equation shit. When will I need that? I want to go into voicing when I'm older! I understand that we need to learn about banking and money and bills and that stuff. Why do n't we have classes about that instead of finding the fucking slope of a line.

• We need Math, but not the tan of 39

Math helps to make the world go round. Math teaches everyone how to add and subtract, which sounds stupid, but what do you do every day? Spend money. Society wouldn't work if we didn't know how to add and subtract, so math is very important. However, math goes a bit too far in school. The only thing that we actually use in real life from math in school, is adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing, maybe sampling or Pythagoras depending on what job you do. However, it's a bit stupid when kids have to learn the quadratic equation, which no one will ever use in their lives. This kind of math should be a choice in schools, not forced. Let the aspiring math teachers learn all that rubbish, and let the rest of society learn something useful