• Women are not encouraged enough

When my brother was in his senior year of high school people kept telling him that he should be an engineer because he's good at math. I am just as good at math as my brother, except I am a girl, and I received much less encouragement. I almost didn't even have most of the teachers that did encourage me. I had most of them because of last minute schedule changes. If I had had a couple different teachers I would never have chosen to major in engineering. I think the main problem is that the low percentage of women engineers is due more to the ways women are treated by male teachers and not that women are are not interested in engineering.

• Women are not encouraged enough

• Women are not encouraged enough

• Girls are powerful

Girls are powerful!! ! !!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! !!!!!!! !!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !! ! ! !! ! ! !! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Awesome!!!!

• Girls are powerful

• Girls are powerful

• As a future engineer, I need to be able to date while still holding a job.

Sexual frustration is apparently a problem in Silicon Valley. It's discouraging me from wanting to work there. I'm male for the record, and more women is important to both sexes for several reasons. A male dominant culture isn't a good thing. I absolutely do not care how well suited they are. We need to train them on the job because diversity is very important. If we want a better industry, we need the industry to attract more than Asian and Caucasian males (speaking as an Asian male.)

• STEM majors should be mandated for females receiving government financial assistance

Society has made the value judgment that the engineering industry should reflect the makeup of the general population. To achieve this, government financial assistance to females should come with the requirement that they major in a STEM field. If the female voluntarily leaves the STEM major, the financial assistance will have to be paid back. Aggressive financial assistance for females majoring in STEM should continue until the engineering industry is at a gender parity

• Of course we do!

If engineers are all men then we wont have a girl perspective and a boy perspective. We should educate girls for the qualities needed for engineering but we also need to educate boys. It should be equal amount of girls and boys. Woman engineering is a good idea and i might become one.

• Yes we do

Females from an early age are not given equal opportunities to compete with males in the form of engineering. Many girls choose not to pursue engineering because they don't have the social support males do when it comes to choosing an engineering job. The lack of women engineers in the field is not due to their own lacking in skill, it's due to the fact that engineering is a pre-predominately male industry and when women try to enter, they become outcasts and are not given a chance to participate. It is also because the gender stereotype of nurturing and child-bearing limits the women to certain jobs.

• If they want to join, fine... BUT:

Please let's not push them like we are obligated to fill some quota to satisfy the liberal outrage machine. Every time a white male student or engineer is deliberately bumped just to advance a woman or a minority, an injustice is being done. Let everyone compete on their own merits.

• Let's separate this question in parts.

First, do we need more engineers?
    Maybe, I don't know. We're building the future here and additional help is always welcome.

Second, do we need these additional engineers to be female?
    Let me ask you this first: is there some biological advantage that allows humans that were not in contact with testosterone in their early stages of development become superior over their male peers in the engineering field. Well, no. The answer is no.

So women, become engineers if that's what you'd like to do in life, but do not think for a moment that we are a necessity. We are not special.

• Everybody has the opportunity to become one.

THAT is what equality is. THAT is what feminism is supposed to be about. Equal Opportunities. Everyone has the opportunity to become one, and if one chooses not to be an engineer, that's fine. If they do want to become an engineer, that's also fine. However, pushing an idea as ridiculous as we need more of a specific kind of people as engineers is absurd, aka females. If I swap women out for another group of people, it makes no sense, Eg. 'We need more black engineers because we need a white perspective AND a black perspective.' It is a ridiculous argument and should not even be a debate worth uttering. An embarrassment is the person who thought this.

• It would be illogical to force someone to do a profession they do not want to do.

It would be totally stupid and incapable of profiting when to force someone to do a major and a profession they do not want. We should focus on quality of the individual, not on some ratio. People should be judged on how well they work, not on their race.Ethnicity,gender ,religion etc. If we are to reach our goals.

• We do not.

We do not need more female engineers. While there are not nearly as many women as there are men in the engineering field, more women are not needed. Women are allowed to be an engineer, and if they want to they can be. The current ratio is fine how it is.

• What is the need?

There's no 'need' for more women in engineering, if a woman wants to be an engineer then that's fine, if a man wants to be an engineer that is also fine. Why are we trying to equalise the numbers of males and females in engineering? As long as equal opportunity is provided the roles will be filled by suitable candidates - if a woman wants to become an engineer, she can. In what way will engineering benefit from changes in the gender structure?

• No, we don't

I agree that we should give men and women equal opportunities to become engineers, but that doesn't mean we need to have equal numbers of male and female engineers. Feminists are upset that women aren't the majority in engineering, so they encourage them to enter the profession. But will doing so actually benefit their cause, or will we end up with a bunch of unhappy women who decided to become engineers for the wrong reasons? The same goes for universities that offer scholarships for women only. Is luring in women by offering them money really a good idea, or is it discrimination against men by refusing to offer them the same opportunity? Artificially trying to increase the proportion of women in engineering is a terrible idea. Let women choose a career that truly interests them. Also, I doubt very much that by giving girls toys such a Lego rather than Barbies will ever lead to equal numbers of men and women engineers. Interests are often determined by nurture AND nature. As much as I'd like to see more women in engineering, I think equal opportunities should be all that is given. Persuasion and bribes will never do any good. Also, why does no one seem to care about female dominated professions, such as nursing?

• Depends on the person

My friend is becoming an engineers and is in fact a girl. I dont care if girls become them but we don't need them. Female and male is a gender not a career description. If you want to be a engineer become one I am just sick of news stories and teachers screaming out that we need! It because though we do need engineers we don't need a certian gender because that doesn't matter.

• We Don't NEED More.

I am all up for equality of me and women - and this question does not suggest that.
    Although many may perceive equality of men and women as 50% male engineers and 50% female engineers - this is an oversimplified mindset.
    We do not need more female engineers - rather we need more opportunities for females to become engineers and to make it possible for any female to understand that their chances are just as good as a man's at being a successful engineer.

• Let women choose

If women want to be engineers the let them, but if they don't then they don have to. I don't understand why if at certain race, sex, or age group occupies a majority of a job everyone freaks out about it. Calm down people and stop crying over spilt milk.

rishadramzan says2014-11-19T13:58:42.367
Super