• From a Teacher's perspective

As a teacher myself I have observed that students become much more calm and focused when working with a textbook in front of them. They also appear to have more confidence. Many students need to develop their comprehension skills. As a learner I feel that a textbook is a comforting resource to refer to and also enjoyable to read.

• From a Teacher's perspective

• Bias ss s s

Bias ssssssssssssssssssss sssssss s s s s s ss ss s s s ss s s s s s s ss s s ss s s s ss s ss s s s s ss s s s s s s ss s s s ss s ssss sss ss

• We need digital textbooks

Many students enjoy working on digital devices and think textbooks are BORING. Studies show that digital textbooks improve standardized test scores, are more fun to handle, gets kids interested in homework, and increases interactivity and creativity in students. Digital textbooks also save the environment and are much lighter. (their backpacks won't be weighed down by 10 pound books) My opinion is supported by 78% of students and teachers.

• This website is bias

Bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias bias

• Yes we do.

Formally published textbooks, whether digital or paper, has the attached critical reassurance that the authorship should be recognised experts in their field. Even then, the information is critically peer reviewed before being presented.
    We live, driving an information highway, with access to even the most marginal of opinions, often stated as fact. Medline,, the States-based online medical library/archive, adds 40,000 to 80,000 completed references each month. Many science based articles become obsolete over a period of time, has new advances develop. Most people's critical appraisal skills are unable to verify the quality of information picked up from direct web access or magazines and journals.
    This is why I put to you that textbooks remain a beacon of light in the greyness of the information overload.
    True, they are more unwieldy and are more prone to have out of date information in book format than digital format. This is may be a preference issue, but there has been evidence to suggest that long periods of tablet reading may be detrimental to your retina. We will only really know for certain in a few decades - but it is a complex light source that we look into (as I am, typing this!).
    For the best sourced information, and low risk (!) reading, give me a properly printed textbook any day.

• Yes, because we are not totally digital yet.

There is nothing better when you are a serious student than having a fresh new textbook to peruse and mark up and carry around. Much of the book world is going digital, but all of it is not digital yet. And digital books do not have the same "weight" as regular ones, so regular ones should still be available.

• Textbooks are a necessary evil.

Textbooks, while unwieldy and expensive, are the best option as of yet. You don't have to recharge a textbook. You don't have to worry about dropping a textbook and having it shatter, rendering it useless. For those who are concerned about "wasting paper", there is no waste in paper when the paper is already made. Why not put it to good use? I am required by my school system to use a tablet for most of my school work (I am in high school) and I, like the vast majority of my fellow students, am thoroughly unimpressed. Neither option is a good one, but one is most definitely better than the other.

• Textbooks are the workhorse of education.

Textbooks are still an essential part of an educational curriculum. One aspect is accessibility, in that not every school can afford the use of implementing tablets to replace books. Books are also more rugged, and teenagers (and younger children) tend to be less responsible and more prone to accidents. Book also do not get viruses, or require charging.

• Yes we do

Textbooks are not great literature but they remain necessary in a classroom environment. It is unfeasible to expect every student in every corner of the world to have access to the internet or to an electronic book reader. Textbooks must go through rigorous peer reviews before they are pronounced ready for the classroom. Internet sources such as Wikipedia, in contrast, are open to editing by anyone. In a perfect world, the one would complement the other. In our world, if we must choose only one, textbooks are the way to go.

• No, textbooks are worthless.

Text books are obsolete in our new tech age. Tablets can give more info a lot faster and easier. The cost of textbooks is reaching an all time high, while the cost of a new tablet is getting a lot lower, meaning schools can save money instead of buying textbooks that your going to just have to replace in 3 years! I'm not an expert or anything that's just my opinion.

• Physical difficulties

With the inclusion of tablet and electronic based learning, students are no longer required to carry large books with them into the classroom every day. This is especially relevant to pre-adolescents, who are at the eve of their physical development, in which heavy book bags become increasingly uncomfortable. One student I spoke with was forced to carry more than 5 books with her on Fridays, more than 15 lbs. This may or may not be relevant to every student, but promoting general student health is a definite plus.

• We have no need for Physical Textbooks any longer

With e-books and tablets, the need for quickly "outdated" textbooks have greatly diminished. Physical textbooks should be eradicated from the school setting with e-books and tablets taking their place. This removes the large amount of money schools and college students must pay to have the most up to date textbook, when in most cases the textbook's update was minor. The cost of the tablets could be made up in a matter of years with how much they would be saving in replacing textbooks.

• Need? No. Want? Yes.

Our technology has made most things available virtually, rather than tangibly, and our era is quickly and excitedly embracing this. Textbooks are available and more convenient virtually, but there are those that are denying the convenience of this technology... Our world is going virtual fast... There's no stopping it. The options are to either hop on the train or get left behind, as some will choose to do.

• We need digital textbooks

• They just collect dust

Many times I have purchased a "required" book only to hardly ever touch it. More and more teachers aren't using them because they know that we don't find them interesting and probably won't actually learn as much from them, so a drawer of my desk is full of textbooks I have never opened.

• They are boring

As a student, I know that learning from a video is by far more influential then reading a passage over and over. Textbooks these days are boring, and me and my classmates HATE taking notes as well as reading them. If you are a student, ask yourself this. Would you rather watch a fun video on real world examples of trigonometry, and get to see animations of it in work, or read a word problem on how trigonometry is useful. Would you rather study with the free web to search anything, or read passage after passage of how mold grows on a rock.

• They are boring

• Comprehensive and Never Outdated

A tablet allows for online sources to be used which can much more comprehensive and can never outdated, while being not as expensive, not wasteful of resources, and are lightweight. Textbooks, on the other hand, are expensive, use a wasteful amount of paper, and very heavy, while being not as comprehensive and getting outdated after a while.

• Critical Thinking & Cost

It is not that hard bound text books are obsolete it is the entire concept of a a text book. A qualified teacher with a degree in the subject should teach from a broad source of materials. If you are doing the rise of Hitler get articles in the paper from the period with differing viewpoints, read excerpts from Rise and Fall of the Third Reich etc. If a math or science teacher can't come up with examples, problems and write a test they should be fired.
    As for cost:
    If a new text book is $75 and a yearly per student subscription is $15 in year six you will still have most of your hard books but will need to re-subscibe for the e-edition so for public K-12 this can be a real issue if year six is in a down economy or tight budget year.