Do words (spoken and written) truly have meaning?

Asked by: artyomlobachev
  • God Said 'Let There Be Light.'

If the Holy Bible is to be believed, words have the ultimate power. All God had to do was speak and things came to pass. Words are how humans communicate and express ourselves. Saying "I love you" is one basic saying that means so much. Words aren't everything, but words can lead to actions that can change someone's life for the better.

• It's not a matter of opinions, of course they do!

Yes they clearly have a meaning and it is impossible to argue against it.
    If you try to say that words do not have a meaning, and you phrase this proposition with words / sentences / letters / a language then you contradict yourself, because you use words to say words have no meaning by trying to convey a statement / meaning with words, which, according to you, do not have any meaning.

Thats like throwing a brick at a tree and then claiming bricks can't be thrown... Yeah, weird example but I think you get the point. So it is really not a matter of opinion if words have a meaning... But if you think otherwise, I am open for new arguments.

Words may be aribitrarily chosen to simplify reality and define objects by using a particular sequence of sounds, but as long as everybody defines the same objects with the same sounds, we should be fine.

• Words are what make us.

If someone says something, it will have an affect on another person. Whether it be negative, positive, or barely noticeable, it's there. Also, books, which is the written words, can cause people to have many emotions. Words are what make us human, because it's our main way of expressing what we feel, and how we think. So, yes, words truly have meaning.

• Words Mean What You Want Them To Mean

Words in themselves do not have any real meaning. Instead, they are simply vibrations of vocal cords and tongue clicks that create a sound which you have associated with a feeling or object. However, these sounds/scribbles have an association with certain feelings and objects along with a strength of feeling (I don't think I said that right). Although I love language, I do feel that it has no meaning but what we think it does. An example being that if I was told since birth that the word blue was the word for an apple, today I would ask for a blue when hungry rather than asking for an apple.

• It loses power to those who don't care or cannot understand

Language has been a gateway to try to understand ourselves and our world, and yet, it has created more barriers than it has broken. This is apparent in the matter of which when one person speaks of a subject that s/he understands as one thing, while the person they are trying to communicate with, sees something entirely different (or similar, but not quite, another factor in to whom one is talking to) and goes on that subject with a different view that what has been started with.
    Another factor we have created for ourselves is the language itself. Mainly in the matter that there are many different languages, and none can really relate to the others (except for those like the Romantic languages and English, among others). This is one that we are able to solve, and yet, no being yet has been able to completely break the language barrier.
    The problem to our world is also it's solution: variety, as it can become amazing, or destroy in its own way, whether physical or mental, real or surreal, we have created these boundaries, and have not been able to bring ourselves to destroy them.

abyteofbrain says2013-12-07T22:48:55.320
It depends on what is meant by meaning.