Do you agree that TED's $6000 price tag limits it to the wealthiest in society?

• Yes, TED's $6,000 price tag limits it to the wealthiest in society

I believe that TED is a wonderful organization that helps society progress by the sharing of ideas. However, charging 6,000 dollars for admission is insane. By charging such a high fee they are limiting just how many people that the information gets to. I do understand that they put the videos online but I think that both TED and people would benefit from cheaper tickets.

• Families Can't Afford

There is no way that families that can barely stay a float with their daily household expenses can pay for a six-thousand dollar ticket to have their ideas expressed or heard. Most people in the United States are making 46,326 dollars a year. If you break this amount down to monthly figures, it is three thousand eight-hundred and sixty dollars a month. No person that has a family to think about is going to spend almost two months of their salaries to be heard. They should let the people be heard for free!

• Yes, it does.

I enjoy watching TED talks and I believe that they contain a lot of valuable information, but I have to admit that actually going to a TED talk in person is definitely only a rich person could afford to do. I think that it also pushes away minorities from speaking at TED.

• 6000 dollars is for attendance itself, not seeing the talks

The talks are available for free if you want to watch them. So the knowledge is there for anyone with an internet connection. Internet connection is available to anyone, particularly if you factor in public internet spots like libraries.

So, why do you think you have to 'be there' for it to matter?

This proposition is kind of odd. And I don't think they recognize how costly these kinds of affairs are to begin with, when you look at booking speakers, venues, and all of the trappings that go along with it. To be honest, the fact that it is 6000 dollars to attend, but you can watch all of the talks online for free is a huge ENABLER for people to learn all sorts of things.

Not sure how long this will last with the kind of crap that we are seeing at TedEx type events, though.

• I do not.

I do not agree that TED's $6000 price tag limits it to the wealthiest in society. While $6000 is a large some of money, it in reality is not all that much for something. There are plenty of other things that cost that much and people are not worrying about it.

• You can save

No, having a price tag of $6000 does not make this only for the wealthiest in society. I come from a poor family, but we could save up $6000 if we wanted this bad enough, by not buying other stuff. It may just take some longer to get the money.