Do you agree with Kierkegaard that one sometimes must violate ethics he/she believes in order to remain true with his/her conscience?

Asked by: ladiesman
  • 'Sometimes' is too often

Ethics are socially developed and they will develop further, because that's their nature. This happens, because people do exactly what this concept is about: they violate ethics for their alternate ethics.

But, regardless of that truth I am not promoting this concept as for most of the time there is a reason why our ethics are broadly accepted: they secure our society and communities. "Sometimes" is something that implies for me to justify "self-ethics" way too often. We must be aware that we are not perfect and most of us are neither clever nor wise enough for a ethical revolution.

It takes years and years of thinking and reflecting the own ethics before I regard someone as "right" to act against major social ethics concerning things like murder, social fairness etc. We should not give people the impression that their actions are so easy to justify by their right to express themselves.

• Yes, I absolutely agree.

At times, societies laws are incapable of upholding justice. This applies in cases when someone is extremely wealthy or well-connected and is able to avoid being properly tried and punished for a heinous crime.

I would also argue that the law sometimes punishes those who do not deserve it. Such as in the case of marijuana use being so extremely punished. Most would probably not call the police just because they knew someone smoked pot. I suppose this would be the type of ethics violation that can eventually lead to social change.

• Ethics differ from one person to another

And the violation of these morals does not necessarily create a negative outcome. As each human's brain is wired and built differently, I believe that man should alter his own definition of right or wrong in order to progress in thought and avoid suppressing his conscience. This violation helps cause a stir in society and change its direction.

• In some cases it is a necessity

When I think of "ethics", I think of standards imposed by some sort of social system. And there are situations in life when ethics will collide with one's individual principles. In those cases, I believe in following your personal morals. And philosophically speaking, if someone violates his/her ethics, I believe that is an opportunity to discover your real self.