Do you agree with President Obama's decision to leave 8,400 troops in Afghanistan?

• Troops are always needed

Yes, I agree with President Obama's decision to leave 8,400 troops in Afghanistan. That is a volatile part of the world and troops are necessary in the area. If Afghanistan is a country that is welcome to U.S. presence, then that is where troops should be left so they are prepared whenever they are needed in that region.

• If the US withdraws from Afghanistan, it will be a gradual leave

The decision to leave 8,000 troops in Afghanistan is well thought out. There are more men stationed than previously planned. The US military has assessed the situation in Afghanistan, and the additional military support is needed to help Afghanistan improve its military forces. Given the rise of radical militant groups such as ISIS, it is wise for US troops to remain in Afghanistan and be an aid to this country. The US offers stability not only for Afghanistan, but for the entire region. Otherwise, people in Afghanistan will be pushed out, and chaos will ensue, with more displaced people roaming the areas. Obama is also planning to have the troops remain for longer. It is not clear on the position the US will take in Afghanistan in the future. It's about lessening the presence of war for the Afghan people, so that these people can continue to progress. If the US has support from its allies, the presence of US forces will be beneficial to Afghanistan.

• Yes, I agree with Obama

While it is not the most enjoyable place to stay, often times it is necessary to camp at an enemy's stronghold to ensure things are properly taken care of. The motives, while possibly questionable, likely trend towards the good, so I support him in this decision. We cannot break down an infrastructure and expect the pieces to assemble themselves.

• I do not agree with President Obama's decision to leave 8,400 troops in Afghanistan

I do not agree with President Obama's decision to leave 8,400 troops in Afghanistan for two reasons. First, this is yet another in a long line of broken promises by this president. Second, we have no business being overseas in the first place. So, we should not only remove the 4,800 troops, but we should remove ALL of them.