Do you agree with the statement, "This is America. Speak English."?

Asked by: Sourgummyworm
  • Yes, it increases national unity, maintains American culture, increase economic future of immigrants and standard of living

The simple answer would be yes, be respectful of the country you are surviving in and learn its language and its culture. Some need a reason beyond "be a decent respectful immigrant".
    So here are some:
    Language is part of culture, culture dictates work ethic, law and punishment, military doctrine, innovation, technological advancement etc.
    Learning the language allows immigrants to have the key to economic success, and language is a barrier, if within the same country multiple people speak multiple languages and its acknowledged by a government body it creates barriers to trade. These have obviously been surpassed by humans beings across the ages with a standard tongue amongst traders, or the trading tongue. Before english it was french and it has shifted many times throughout time.

Learning the language also allows for the immigrant to begin adapting, in other words creating a new cultural identify. If the immigrant is proud and stubborn of the culture he or she came from then it defies the purpose of them migrating in the first place. Choosing not to learn, or not pushing/forcing immigrants to learn the language allows for the mistake of remaining loyal to your culture of origin to be made. You know the same language whose culture you as an immigrant RAN AWAY from. This in turn creates friction, discrimination for lack of respect, respect is earned by the way although disrespect shouldn't be the rule of thumb, previous immigrants not respect the native culture which yes now the native culture is American, makes the American people more skeptical of immigrants. ALl due because a large minority decided not to learn the language.

Learning the language allows immigrants to begin cultural adaptation, without it they will be forever immigrants. The job of a good immigrant to its host country is to be respectful enough to consciously make the decision to learn the culture that attracted you in the first place. It was the culture of "immigrants" that attracted you to the US. The culture that created this country's government, constitution , military etc was British/Frontiersmen=American. Like it or not, it wasn't any other culture who came up with the constitution.

I hail from Colombia, and not a single hispanic was part of the drafting of the bill of rights, or the declaration of independence in the US. ANd just like if you went to Colombia because you are attracted to it...For whatever reason, you are expected to learn its language and its culture. Within a generation or two the people are simply Americans if you still call your self "X" American" likely stems from you not learning the language, or even if you learn it not take it seriously enough to ditch your original culture.

So you see learning the language is only the first step, like the keys to a house, the house being increase economic prosperity. Attaining those keys and willingly being part of that house are 2 different things.

Posted by: N711
  • First, English needs to be made the official language of America.

A common language brings people together.
    And with immigration out of control, this is one thing that can help nation-wide. It would also save money by cutting down the printing of various other state & federal printings of tax instructions, motor vehicle instructions, et cetera.
    "Many people are surprised to learn that the United States has no official language."
    http://www.Usconstitution.Net/consttop_lang.Html

• Yes speak English

Speaking English is apart of living in this country, if you truly want to be an American. You must speak English, being American would be speaking English. If you speak your language here you are living somewhere else ,not America. Speaking your language ,what ever it is offensive to Americans. You are being offensive and you are aware it and self righteous. So I would expect a defensive response, ignorance.

• Yes speak English

• It is starting to feel like an invasion

If you are going to live in this country, learn the language and speak it. I am sick of going to the grocery stores I've frequented for more than 30 years and being assaulted with a barrage of conversations that I don't understand. Learn our freaking language. It is a privilege to live in this country. Show some respect.

• We need unity

Every country in the world seems to have a national language except the USA. America was once a staple of immigration but even then the people immigrating here learned English and assimilated into the culture that was developing. They did so proudly and patriotically they were proud to come here and work hard and contribute to a growing country asking nothing in return except to show their love for this country! Immigrants now come here with their hands stretched wide open asking for any hand out the can get their greedy hands on. If that were not bad enough they spit in the face of our laws,culture,and traditions. They expect us who were born here to cater to the traditions they left behind in search of a better life. They expect us to learn their language while they give nothing back to their community except a higher crime rate! We have become the world's homeless shelter because the people of other countries such as Mexico let their Country turn to Ruins of it's former glory and expect us to embrace the very same ideals that led their Country to turn Into a death trap that they so quickly ran away from instead of trying to turn their homeland into a place their children can safely and proudly grow. They will come here until they turn our country into the same hell hole they so quickly left. They will leave behind a financial political mess they help create and move onto the next Country that will give them free hand outs until they have dried that Country of it's recourse's. All in all immigrants have become like spoiled children making a mess and constantly taking without ever picking up the pieces of their wreckage. When is enough enough? When will the people born here who work hard to provide for their families get a better life instead of providing for a people that are not their own. When will natural born Americans get better treatment then people who broke in illegally? When. Will Americans not have to compete with eleven million illegal immigrants for work. Why are people caught fishing without a license given hefty fines while those who unwelcoming break into to our Country illegally are given free food , shelter,health care and education? When. Will American tax payers no longer have to foot the bill for people that should punished and not rewarded for the crimes they commit!

• English not spanish

I am tired of calling a help line and being asked to press a special number for spanish, I live in america. Tired of papers from school in English and spanish, I live in america. I am tired of paying taxes to support illegal immigrants, go be a burden to tour own country. IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN IN AMERICA LEARN ENGLISH AND GET YOUR CITIZENSHIP!

• It is only fair.

When you travel to a different country where almost nobody speaks English, you are expected to learn the new language that is most commonly used in the country. Why would this not be true for immigrants who are coming into the United States? Why is it suddenly not okay to ask the same thing here? I'm not saying that they can't speak their native language at all, I'm saying that THEY need to learn the most common language here (English) just as we would be doing the same if we went to their country. To refuse to learn the native/most common language in a different country is absolutely absurd and extremely rude.

• America is a nation of immigrants

I understand that English is a very common language in the United States and that in most circumstances it's the language people need, but people shouldn't feel like out cast because they don't know English. America is a nation that was built by immigrants and I can assure you that not every single one of them no English. It's rude to tell people that because this is America they should speak English. What is freedom of speech if you aren't able to say what you want in your language, why must you say it in another language.

• English is from England, a foreign country and we are in the land of diversity and freedom

In truth, in your logic, we should make American Sign Language, and the Native American dialects the official languages because they are truly the "native American languages". English itself is a language born from many, and this land is filled with diversity and different cultures. Should we take away others culture by implementing a foreign one ? America is the land of the free, and to force people to only speak in English will cause an uproar in the Deaf community, but also will be unconstitutional, against the 1st amendment.

• I agree with it

I'm not an american, however if your migrate to a country YOU must adjust to the country not the other way around seems like common sense to me and since in america the language is english everyone is to learn english simple as that anyone who refuses to learn english should simply be deported as they are clearly not willing to put in nay effort to keep on living in the country

• The First Amendment

The first amendment states we have freedom of speech, freedom of whatever language we choose. And one person agreeing with the topic stated that they are tired of paying taxes for illegal immigrants, these "illegal immigrant" are paying more taxes than any of you so you should praise these hard working souls rather than be racist and calling people illegal.

• This is America. We have Freedom of Speech.

I agree that people that come here should learn English. Especially if they're going to work somewhere where they serve the public, there needs to be an acceptable level of proficiency.

But I speak Spanish and Japanese, and I plan on learning other languages, and if some smart*** ever interrupted a conversation I was having in another language to tell me "This is America, speak English," I'd tell him to **** off. This is America, not Communist China or Nazi Germany.

• This is America and We Have the Freedom of Speech

I agree that all who come here should learn to speak English. Especially when working in a position where you will be serving the public, there ought to be a required proficiency level.

But I speak Spanish, Japanese and I'm learning several other languages, and if some smart*** interrupts a conversation I'm having in another language to tell me "This is America, speak Emglish," I'd tell him to go **** himself.

This is America. We have the freedom to speak in whatever language we want.

• "Americans" aren't a single type of person so why would we all speak one language?

America has always been known as a Melting Pot. America is a very diverse country and not even white people are free of falling under the umbrella of "immigrants" because their heritage is European. In every part of the US, there are many people of different races with many different dialects. What if Native Americans went around speaking their native language, telling everyone to speak their language? All those English mono-linguists would be pretty upset, would they not? Plus, why would you take away all the beauty of diversity?

• I believe it is preferable, but not necessary

While it would certainly be easier for immigrants to learn to speak English, there are plenty of communities where many immigrants from the same country live, so everyone speaks the same language (for example, a community with mostly Hispanics, where everyone speaks Spanish) But if a non-English speaking immigrant lives in an area without English speakers, they should learn basic English.