Do you agree with the study that Native Language effects Economic Behavior?

Asked by: blackkid
  • I do, actually:

http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/faculty/keith.chen/papers/LanguageWorkingPaper.pdf

That is a study by Keith Chen,

"Languages differ widely in the ways they encode time. I test the hypothesis that languages that
    grammatically associate the future and the present, foster future-oriented behavior. This prediction arises naturally when well-documented effects of language structure are merged with models of intertemporal choice. Empirically, I find that speakers of such languages: save more, retire with more wealth, smoke less, practice safer sex, and are less obese. This holds both across countries and within countries when comparing demographically similar native households. The evidence does not support the most obvious forms of common causation. I discuss implications for theories of intertemporal choice."

That is the basis, it is a good read if you want to read it, it's not new but it came up the other day and I thought it'd be interesting to discuss. I agree with him particularly because it's valid and proven but also because I think it makes sense. I wish I didn't speak English now.